The best young ruckman???

Remove this Banner Ad

Does take much for Blues supporters to think that they can get a bit cocky does it?

Odd.
Your comment is odd.

Essendon have won 2 of their last 10 games. Have an atrocious game plan. Have no system to their play and are an ugly duckling to watch.

Pretty sure this is a statement of fact, not being cocky. Where did I say Carlton was any better?

Your comment is odd.

Essendon have won 2 of their last 10 games. Have an atrocious game plan. Have no system to their play and are an ugly duckling to watch.

Pretty sure this is a statement of fact, not being cocky. Where did I say Carlton was any better?

Did I say it

So are you saying, why would anyone what Carlton as well then?

If Carlton isn't any better then you're saying that about your own team as well?

Tim English looks an All-Australian caliber talent at 23, Rowan Marshal also a quality up and coming ruckman but turns 25 later this year, not sure if he’s still in the young category. Sean Darcy at 22 has the best ruckwork though. Luke Jackson looks like one for the future, shown some very good signs, still on 18.

Love Tim but his ruckwork has a long way to go. Not sure he will get to elite level as a centre square ruckman.

Now if want to talk about mobile big men who can take strong grabs, kicks goals, cover ground and really stretches lesser mobile ruck opponents, that's another argument....

Love Tim but his ruckwork has a long way to go. Not sure he will get to elite level as a centre square ruckman.

Now if want to talk about mobile big men who can take strong grabs, kicks goals, cover ground and really stretches lesser mobile ruck opponents, that's another argument....
His centre square work is quite good I reckon. It's at stoppages around the ground where opposition rucks push him around.

His centre square work is quite good I reckon. It's at stoppages around the ground where opposition rucks push him around.
Yeah the amount of times Darcy was able to throw Tim out of the way & grab the ball out of the ruck was concerning. The other concerning part was how bloody often he had ample time to hold onto it and dispose cleanly. It was like some of our mids didn’t want to tackle him in fear of just bouncing off haha. He’s freakin solid. Haven’t seen someone built like that since Will Minson was around. That man was carved from concrete.

Against all ruckmen this year Rowan Marshall has the most goals, is second in disposals, equal 1st in marks, 3rd in contested marks and 13th in hitouts.

When the consensus above standard is NicNat and Draper was competing just fine with him either you don't understand football or you don't watch Essendon.

I thought Draper was pretty uncompetitive in actual taps to Naitanui.
Seemed pretty keen on going the body most times to stop Naitanui from jumping.
I don't think that game validates your point.

240 hitouts for Marshall and Ryder tells me plays around 50% in the ruck.....hence the 'most goals, marks etc'

I think it explains goals and that's about all.

Taking a mark in the forward line is a skill, how many other ruckmen would be as effective forwards as Marshall? A question, not a statement.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Marshall is 25 this year. At what point do we stop considering players a "young ruckman", and start calling them a "ruckman"?
Obviously when they're 26

Marshall is 25 this year. At what point do we stop considering players a "young ruckman", and start calling them a "ruckman"?

If he plays for my club then 25 isnt too young, if he is really good and plays at another club he is too old, especially if he is better than the play from my club i am spruiking.

I think it explains goals and that's about all.

Taking a mark in the forward line is a skill, how many other ruckmen would be as effective forwards as Marshall? A question, not a statement.

Oscar Allen takes a strong contested mark - 2017 draft, not a true ruckman but no slouch. Likely to pass 50 game mark in 2021.

If he plays for my club then 25 isnt too young, if he is really good and plays at another club he is too old, especially if he is better than the play from my club i am spruiking.

He hasn't turned 25 yet (November) and he only played his 50th game last week.

I think in terms of games experience he's still young but admittedly next year he probably falls out of this category.

With that being said Ruckmen usually don't peak until a bit later than others.

Just out of interest how many of the ruckmen mentioned in this thread play as the sole ruck?

Apart from a few games where he was given a rest, English rucks nearly 100% of game time.

His ability to ruck a whole game and allow us to play an extra small is very important to our system.

Some of his running efforts under fatigue are enormous.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back