Religion The Bible: Literal, figurative, bulldust?

Remove this Banner Ad

Literalists taking translations between a thousand and 6 thousand years after the actual events or composition as their text to comply with literally

And literalists like Hitchens taking translations between a thousand and 6 thousand years after the actual events or composition as their text to argue literalistically against the existence of a Christian god.

And literalists like Hitchens taking translations between a thousand and 6 thousand years after the actual events or composition as their text to argue literalistically against the existence of a Christian god.
Explain it to me, which parts are literal and which parts are a metaphor?

Explain it to me, which parts are literal and which parts are a metaphor?
The bits which are common sense are literal. The parts which are now clearly wrong were always metaphor.

Some parts, the people are still undecided if they're literal or metaphor, we await the people to decide on those remaining parts.

So people decide if it's literal or metaphor based on the society around them.

Which is why one never should want to be a religious atheist. Just call out the transgressions of religious organisations, often at odds wiypth the morals they preach

Unless pedophilia actually is ‘love’

It seems logical (at least to me) to assume that eventually, in time, the "Bible" and in fact "Christianity" will fade into obscurity (as it is already beginning to do) just as all previous "religions" or "Gods" have faded throughout human history. Egyptian, Greek, Roman, etc, etc and all the various "religious" forms before, faded into the depths of a distant past and so will this. To somehow think or believe that out of all the human history timeline and all the beliefs that have come and gone, this time we have the real one true word of "God" etc strikes me as the definition of a combination of naïveté and hubris.

Last edited:
It seems logical (at least to me) to assume that eventually, in time, the "Bible" and in fact the "Abrahamic" faiths will fade into obscurity just as all previous "religions" or "Gods" have faded throughout human history. Egyptian, Greek, Roman, etc, etc and all the various "religious" forms before, faded into the depths of a distant past and so will this. To somehow think or believe that out of all the human history timeline and all the beliefs that have come and gone, this time we have the real one true word of "God" etc strikes me as the definition of a unique combination of naïveté and hubris.
Logical but not in anybody's lifetimes that you or I are associated with now, and for generations to come.
The Bible IS the Bible.

Logical but not in anybody's lifetimes that you or I are associated with now, and for generations to come.
The Bible IS the Bible.
Just like your Jesus.

However it's been on a record slide in it's history in OUR lifetimes. Religion will stay alive and feed off the poor and the uneducated. Hardly something to gloat about. Look at the stats in Europe, it's birthplace, the stats are damning.

Just like your Jesus.

However it's been on a record slide in it's history in OUR lifetimes. Religion will stay alive and feed off the poor and the uneducated. Hardly something to gloat about. Look at the stats in Europe, it's birthplace, the stats are damning.
Don't hold your breath.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I ain't holding my breath for something that is clearly silly and ridiculous. You have been shown up in this thread yet you are here, claiming a moral high ground.
Claiming nothing. The Bible will ALWAYS be the reference point for believing Christians, and atheistic agnostic posters who are digging.

Claiming nothing. The Bible will ALWAYS be the reference point for believing Christians, and atheistic agnostic posters who are digging.
Who has ever claimed otherwise, you can just put any religion and any holy book and it's the same ***** basically. People will continue to be gullible no matter what, however with technology and education that number is falling.

Doesn't mean the argument isn't valid. The trend certainly implies this. US is on route to be a non religious majority by 2050 and US is one of the last remaining Christian stronghold out of all first world nations.
If that trend gives you good vibes, great. It is still the most talked about book on...Big Footy.

I should (and could be) offended but I just got to laugh. Are you seriously suggesting that only religious people can experience love?

By the way, we're all primates - you, me, Jesus (Primate | Definition, Species, Characteristics, Classification, Distribution, & Facts)
Only the ones who are the same religion as this person. If you're another denomination, then no, you can't?

I feel bad for people who are more in love with their God than with their family and friends. Must be humiliating for supposed "loved ones" to know that you rank lower than their imaginary friend.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back