Who will win The Block 2022

• H3: Sharon & Ankur

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • H4: Dylan & Jenny

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Channel 9 producers will be feeling very nervous about next year block , I wouldn’t be too suprised if it’s reduced or scrapped
They bought the original property for around $7m and would have made plenty on it. Most of the materials are free due to product placement.

Even with the way property has gone, they are still making money over fist.

On CPH2005 using BigFooty.com mobile app

They bought the original property for around $7m and would have made plenty on it. Most of the materials are free due to product placement.

Even with the way property has gone, they are still making money over fist.

On CPH2005 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Spent 14.3 m on next years properties

…can someone summarise the “dodgy” for those distracted by the appearance of moccasins?
LMCT guy who was clearly mates with the boys only “bidded” on the boys house despite wanting to buy for his charity raffle and ignored all the other houses
Also the boys were rewarded a $250k kitchen in their challenge in week 2

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I only half pay attention to the show, but the auctions have never been related to the normal market even without this Danny knob, ineligible bidders or potential dummy bidders. Obviously flogging it on Channel 9 months helps distort things markedly, as does selling the with furniture.

5/164 Ingles Street, Port Melbourne just sold in May 2022 for $1.98 mill for a lazy $610,000 less than the $2.59 mill recorded on the show in 2016 (reserve was set at $1.93 mill).

The winners of the 2020 Block got $4.26 mill which later fell through sold for $4 mill flat in May 2021 (and required a market upswing to land there).

1/1A Affleck Street, South Yarra sold in June 2021 at a market peak for $1.55 mill, having sold on the show for $1.67 mill 6 years earlier in notably weaker conditions.

You could probably pick apart Block re-sales like this all day...

That was s**t, two hours of my life I’ll never get back. The show has turned into a farce, I don’t know where they go from here.

And was Rachel off her face, or is she a little bit special
?
I'm going to go with a combination of the 2 🤣

There's no doubt that the fact the houses they build featured on TV for 12 weeks probably does inflate their values compared to the rest of the market at auction time. That's one of the reasons Ch9 and the production company do it. They make a s**t tonne of money from it. It's their business plan. Nobody is naive about that. Last night, the buyer's advocates were not going much above $4 million, which I think reflected the true value of the market. H5 was just a bidding war, which always favors the vendor. Danny is Danny.

But comparing prices over the lifespan of the builds is flawed because many market variables come into play. But I suspect the resale prices of these places will never be as much as they got on auction night on The Block.

The guy who bid against Danny at H5 was a legitimate bidder, and if he was a mate of O&O, then good on them for talking him into bidding on their house. That is called strategy. It's how you win.
If I knew someone with 5 mil spare I'd be calling them to buy my block house. I mean what's next the agent shouldn't be calling prospective buyers too??

The guy who bid against Danny at H5 was a legitimate bidder, and if he was a mate of O&O, then good on them for talking him into bidding on their house. That is called strategy. It's how you win.
Dummy bidders to incite a bidding war at a auction is illegal …it’s a very dodgy look getting your mate to come and do that …if they had no prior relationship then fair game but they were clearly mates and the “charity” didn’t go to any of the other houses

Hard to catch out but kind of marries up all their other sly tactics throughout the show

Dummy bidders to incite a bidding war at a auction is illegal
You have no proof he was a dummy bidder. That's just a baseless accusation.

After that scandal with the woman falsely bidding a few years ago, all registered bidders have to prove they have the finances to pay for a house before the auction on The Block. You can't just walk off the street and start bidding. You have to be a registered bidder with proof of finances on The Block. So he got outbid by Danny and lost. That doesn't make him a dummy bidder. That's just what happens at auctions.

The boys having him come to bid on their house was them playing the game very well. The racist overtones of some criticisms of this (not directed at you) is disgraceful.

Last edited:
Might be time to consider smaller builds, even so-called 'tiny homes'. Make the season about managing space instead of exorbitant sheds with a theme park attached. Move away from the multiple ovens and shower heads template. Could even do multiple builds per season or even design from scratch with only the slab to begin with.
Would attract more bidders, loses the strange whiff the show has in the face of Australia's rental and housing crisis.

Last edited:
Strange that if it’s a personal buy how he has $5 mil lying around running a charity

Don’t believe it at all

The greatest trick the Devil ever made was to convince the world he didn't exist.

LMCT+ is not a charity.

They make donations to charity as part of what they do - but by large, they are a very smart business that is making a ridiculous amount of coin.

Based on following LMCT and being a subscriber, there is no doubt at all Adrian has the cash.

Koenigsegg CC850 hypercar revealed, set for Australia (here's Adrian dropping $1.5m on a car for himself...)

FWIW I thought that if Channel 9 and The Block had any credibility left, they spent it last night.

Understandably, they need to do all they can to make the show viable $$ wise, but the presence of Danny just makes the show look pathetic.

You can see it in the 2023 info we have already - they've dropped over $10m just to secure the sites. This points to them being at exorbitant pricing levels once again but perhaps it will do better being back in a premium area.

They need a refresh on how the show works, IMO. A new way to judge rooms, with new judges, perhaps a tweaked way of earning the money etc and even a different strategy from the aspect of how the agents are presented, shown and handle auction day, because the last couple of years the auction episode, even where there was good results, is painfully awkward.

I'd have thought if I were one of the auctioneers, I'd have been embarrassed to have been dealing with some of the bids they took. They're obviously under instruction from the producers on that one, because if it were out on the street on a normal auction, they'd laugh at the notion of taking a .50 cent bid.

Understandably, they need to do all they can to make the show viable $$ wise, but the presence of Danny just makes the show look pathetic.
They've even obviously been upping their reserves to deal with the Danny effect.

The contestants confirmed where the legit interest was during normal marketing at and the genuine bids all capped out at about the reserve level (ie. the reserves were full whack and over IMHO).

Problem was Danny's 'over-reserve ego-budget' was all blown on the first auction instead of spreading across 5 purchases. It's a waste of life with him involved.

You have no proof he was a dummy bidder. That's just a baseless accusation.

After that scandal with the woman falsely bidding a few years ago, all registered bidders have to prove they have the finances to pay for a house before the auction on The Block. You can't just walk off the street and start bidding. You have to be a registered bidder with proof of finances on The Block. So he got outbid by Danny and lost. That doesn't make him a dummy bidder. That's just what happens at auctions.

The boys having him come to bid on their house was them playing the game very well. The racist overtones of some criticisms of this (not directed at you) is disgraceful.
Yet all those registered bidders didn’t say boo and then LMCT mate didn’t bother with the other houses despite it being purchased for a charity raffle

Yeah smart play but don’t pretend it isn’t dodgy

The auctions made compelling viewing (after FFing through all the ads). But a few dodgy things stood out for me.

The decision to disregard the over-budget build amounts was unfair to the contestants who had stuck to their budget.

How much work (and money) was required on each house, after the deadline, to bring it to saleable standard?

The reserve prices were ignored mid-auction. It seemed that Tom and Sarah-Jane were not given the option to pass-in a little above the reserve like the others were.

Back