Player Watch The brothers King

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 15, 2005
AFL Club
Geelong
I've managed to see bits and pieces of the King brothers in action this season; whenever I see them play both Ben and Max have been stationed at Full Forward.

Unsurprisingly they are similar types, tall kids with agility and balance rarely seen in players 200+ cm tall.

Max was taken before Ben in the 2018 draft despite undergoing a knee reco in his draft year; he's subsequently had to overcome an ankle injury, too.
Ben has played 27 games compared to Max's 12 - and yet they both give their respective club's plenty to hope for; their potential is obvious.

Given their limited exposure to date, does anyone have a sense as to who will be the better brother?

And is Full Forward their best position?

I'd kill to have either on my club's list, but I'm not sure that Full Forward is the best possie to exploit their physical gifts and skill sets.

I'd be tempted to see them play more of a late-career Matthew Richardson role, roaming around a bit more, using that agility and easy gliding running style to run back into the F50, rather than having to be the focal point/s attracting the biggest meanest defenders from every opposing club.

I've managed to see bits and pieces of the King brothers in action this season; whenever I see them play both Ben and Max have been stationed at Full Forward.

Unsurprisingly they are similar types, tall kids with agility and balance rarely seen in players 200+ cm tall.

Max was taken before Ben in the 2018 draft despite undergoing a knee reco in his draft year; he's subsequently had to overcome an ankle injury, too.
Ben has played 27 games compared to Max's 12 - and yet they both give their respective club's plenty to hope for; their potential is obvious.

Given their limited exposure to date, does anyone have a sense as to who will be the better brother?

I'd kill to have either on my club's list, but I'm not sure that Full Forward is the best possie to exploit their physical gifts and skill sets.

I'd be tempted to see them play more of a late-career Matthew Richardson role, roaming around a bit more, using that agility and easy gliding running style to run back into the F50, rather than having to be the focal point/s attracting the biggest meanest defenders from every opposing club.

Both will be unstoppable in 3 years time once they put on some weight...impossible to say who will be better...full forward definitely the right positions for them...they will both be consistently kicking 60+ a season...we should all just enjoy what they will bring to the game...both have elite skills for their size..along with Naughton at the Dogs, they will dominate to league for the next decade.

I like them both playing FF. They will dominate for years to come. Hard to say who will be better. 10 Coleman’s between them I’m guessing.
Along with, Lynch, Cameron, Naughton and H McKay there are a few great FF’s.

Probably pointless and a bit petty splitting them.
Both absolute freaks.

Agree with u that id like to see them roam up around half fwd rather than get bashed at FF.

Both will have terrific careers.

Might be the best players the universe has ever seen, winning the next 20 colemans and 5 brownlows each 🙄

Of course, bigfooty has never been prone to hyperbole and blowing things out of all proportion. I'm pretty sure at various stages Boyd, Patton and Hipwood have been pegged to dominate.

Ironically it is probably best they were not drafted to the same team. Both are going to be great players but they are very similar in how they play and a team can't really have both of them in the same forward line without being too top heavy and too easy to run off of.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you're building a list from scratch, I reckon Max King is very close to being the very first player you'd take.
Absolute tyrant in the air, the goalkicking is improving, and he has 10+ seasons to give.

If you're building a list from scratch, I reckon Max King is very close to being the very first player you'd take.
Absolute tyrant in the air, the goalkicking is improving, and he has 10+ seasons to give.
Looked like he was going to take 20 marks and kick 8-10 goals today until his groin injury flared.

Imagine trying to stop him in a couple of years time, if he has a relatively uninterrupted run at it between now and then!

Quite a few people on here as well as Browny and Lyon (dA kEy FoRwArD mAfIa) were writing him off after he had that quiet stint when his confidence was down after kicking 1.5 vs you guys last time

He’s a kid, who hasn’t even got to 50 games yet. Absolutely embarrassing some of the s**t I heard spoken about him

Quite a few people on here as well as Browny and Lyon (dA kEy FoRwArD mAfIa) were writing him off after he had that quiet stint when his confidence was down after kicking 1.5 vs you guys last time

He’s a kid, who hasn’t even got to 50 games yet. Absolutely embarrassing some of the sh*t I heard spoken about him

plenty of good forwards (including Tom Hawkins) who have had periods of difficulty with set shots prior to M. King.

the fact that he can regularly take contested marks in the F50 makes him a huge weapon for the Saints, and it seems as though he’s already making strides to improve his accuracy at goal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back