Opinion The 'Carlton related stuff that doesn't need it's own thread' thread Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kemp is going to put a huge smile on Carlton people's dial later this year he will end up being the best draft pick of his year (injuries allowing) - including better than Rowell or whatever his name is.

Do we expect to see him in the middle at some point? thought I read he was training with the Backs until injured.

Raises the question... Why tf did we recruit Williams as a midfielder...

Because few of our midfielders have class and/or pace.

Williams offers both (but probably isn't a FT midfielder).

I disagree, no problem recruiting him but one of the selling points was as a midfielder, we've got class in cunners sps and setters, pace in cunners and Dow and power in Stocker and kemp, all not getting time in the middle. The inside midfield did not need adding to. Hopefully he's shuffled outside.

I disagree, no problem recruiting him but one of the selling points was as a midfielder, we've got class in cunners sps and setters, pace in cunners and Dow and power in Stocker and kemp, all not getting time in the middle. The inside midfield did not need adding to. Hopefully he's shuffled outside.
I'd argue SPS has class, Cuningham has class and pace, Dow has pace - sometimes, Setterfield may have class --- but we haven't given any of these guys an extended run and recruiting Williams is the short cut.

SPS has class, not pace and is being played as HBF

Dow has pace, class by hand. Can you have negative class by foot?

Cunners has pace AND class but is rarely played as a mid and unless he's playing against * he struggles to get >10 touches

Setters is average on pace and class

None of those is even close to being an established, first-choice mid. Setters probably the closest on 2020 form.

Stocker has both pace and class but has played 7 matches.

Kemp had both pace and class (pre-knee) but is yet to debut and might not be a FT mid for years.

We might swoon over our potential midfield depth but in reality we have no real proven, consistent performers beyond Cripps, Walsh and Ed. AND Cripps and Ed are not so great on pace or class either.

Now, could we have more top flight mids if Dow, Cunners, SPS etc had had better development? Sure.

But.... a) that's a whole other argument b) I don't want to open up that can of worms and c) we're better of focusing on what we have now rather than wistfully dreaming of what might have been.

I hear you ferris but as the SEN article alludes to, they haven't been given a fair crack to prove themselves in the middle since Teague came on board (okay, Setterfield probably has but not the others). It's a chicken and egg thing, how can we say for sure if they'll make as first choice mids it if they don't get consistent selection or time in their best position? I am happy Zac Williams is at Carlton but his recruitment as a midfielder brings into question our selection policy and development the past couple of seasons.

Cunners has pace AND class but is rarely played as a mid and unless he's playing against * he struggles to get >10 touches

None of those is even close to being an established, first-choice mid. Setters probably the closest on 2020 form.

Kemp had both pace and class (pre-knee) but is yet to debut and might not be a FT mid for years.

We might swoon over our potential midfield depth but in reality we have no real proven, consistent performers beyond Cripps, Walsh and Ed. AND Cripps and Ed are not so great on pace or class either.

Williams isn't close to being an established first choice mid either.

He's also been a bit of a turnover merchant and his fitness is not up to it either.

For the most part, he plays his best and most damaging footy off half back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do we expect to see him in the middle at some point? thought I read he was training with the Backs until injured.
What Zee said - Kemp is coming back from a couple of years off- but he does have one pre-season under his belt and was looking good till he did his ankle.

In that context yes, there’s no ill intention.

In the context, look at those blokes over there, what a bunch of bummers.

different intent, different meaning.
Has it ever been used in that context though?

Our lack of success in the last 25 years has been a real bummer & this is the only context I have ever seen/heard the word used i.e. as a reference to something disappointing.

I hear you ferris but as the SEN article alludes to, they haven't been given a fair crack to prove themselves in the middle since Teague came on board (okay, Setterfield probably has but not the others). It's a chicken and egg thing, how can we say for sure if they'll make as first choice mids it if they don't get consistent selection or time in their best position? I am happy Zac Williams is at Carlton but his recruitment as a midfielder brings into question our selection policy and development the past couple of seasons.

Bit harsh on Teague imo.

Dow has had plenty of chances he just hasn't taken them to date. He played the first 4 games of this season and had little impact on any of them. Brought back last week in the guts but got injured.

Setterfield started the year as best 22, came straight back into the AFL team after missing 1 week through injury but had to be dropped since he was playing poorly.

LOB played a game this year and it was pretty poor, with his dropped mark and turnover that cost us a goal in the 4th quarter the nail in the coffin. Got no issue with Newnes and Cottrell being ahead of him right now.

It has taken a while but Cunners and SPS are getting more midfield minutes just recently and I hope it continues.

Down the track, yes I would expect him to play midfield. By the end of his u18 year he was playing inside mid and apparently at a much higher standard than what he was for victoria in the televised matches.
I was expecting an Adam Hunter like swingman role from him but happy to admit that was only from the vibe

Williams isn't close to being an established first choice mid either.

He's also been a bit of a turnover merchant and his fitness is not up to it either.

For the most part, he plays his best and most damaging footy off half back.

Yep,
Play him at HB where he has credits.
He’s being paid plenty so he can learn to live with it.
Dow looked terrific early, we must persist with him onball.
Cuningham offers class and we have to get him involved in the action.
Hard to knock Curnow as he’s always 100% effort but it’s pretty clear he’s the one that has to be phased out as the season unfolds and he enters the twilight of his career ...

I like Williams but do have a bit of an issue with us going hard with a large contract for a guy to be a midfielder despite the fact he has never played there week in, week out and doesn't seem to be able to run out a full game in the guts.

Seemed like we were recruiting him purely based on his PF game vs Collingwood where he dominated in the middle. But that's not the same as playing midfield every week.

Still, it's early days and there's plenty of time for Williams to come good. Our whole midfield bar Walsh has struggled a bit so far this year.

the bolded are players with X factor - the rest are depth.

I like Williams but do have a bit of an issue with us going hard with a large contract for a guy to be a midfielder despite the fact he has never played there week in, week out and doesn't seem to be able to run out a full game in the guts.

Seemed like we were recruiting him purely based on his PF game vs Collingwood where he dominated in the middle. But that's not the same as playing midfield every week.

Still, it's early days and there's plenty of time for Williams to come good. Our whole midfield bar Walsh has struggled a bit so far this year.

Has been disapointing because he is a MUCH better player than so far seen - maybe injured - I dont know...has genuine pace and is a beautiful kick - plus has (like Martin) mongrel factor and smarts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back