Opinion The 'Carlton related stuff that doesn't need it's own thread' thread Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

How many games have you seen him display these qualities as a midfielder?

He hasnt been played as a pure midfielder at Carlton, he has been played as a HFF / midfield rotation - originally swapping with Martin - and then stepping in for Martin as a forward.

if you want to see what he can do against quality opposition as a midfielder - he pretty much destroyed Collingwood's midfield in the 2019 prelim when he was put in there to replace all their injured players.

I disagree, no problem recruiting him but one of the selling points was as a midfielder, we've got class in cunners sps and setters, pace in cunners and Dow and power in Stocker and kemp, all not getting time in the middle. The inside midfield did not need adding to. Hopefully he's shuffled outside.

He will play more on the outside, but that doesn't mean he won't rotate through CBA

Fabulous how today's supporters are able to witness the birth of a phenomenon the way us old farts watched Doormat, Sticks & Diesel. Just be prepared for your kids and grandkids to come at you with "Ok, we get it. Sam Walsh, Sam Walsh. He was the best you ever saw. You saw his first game, blah, blah, blah. Shut the fu** up about Sam Walsh!"
My kids are getting sick and tired of me telling them the story about how Jimmy Plunkett racked up 34 touches in a Elimination Final win against Adelaide in 2001.

He hasnt been played as a pure midfielder at Carlton, he has been played as a HFF / midfield rotation - originally swapping with Martin - and then stepping in for Martin as a forward.

if you want to see what he can do against quality opposition as a midfielder - he pretty much destroyed Collingwood's midfield in the 2019 prelim when he was put in there to replace all their injured players.

PRELIMINARY FINAL @ MCG (not racking up possessions playing a cellar dwelling hack team in Alice Springs)
25 possessions (22 kicks!!!)
16 CP’s
10 clearances
6 tackles
1 goal

So yeah - probably why we recruited him as a MID.

Now, could we have more top flight mids if Dow, Cunners, SPS etc had had better development? Sure.

But.... a) that's a whole other argument b) I don't want to open up that can of worms and c) we're better of focusing on what we have now rather than wistfully dreaming of what might have been.
Too late. The cat's bolted.

Williams isn't close to being an established first choice mid either.

He's also been a bit of a turnover merchant and his fitness is not up to it either.

For the most part, he plays his best and most damaging footy off half back.

Hey, I agree with you. And said so in my original post.

I think the club had spare $, identified a free agent, who had all the elements of an A+ mid, except.... You know... He isn't a mid....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's no way he can play full time mid at his current fitness levels. This is my issue.

Guy came to new club with big contract out of shape. Not a good start.

Hope he improves this aspect as it will effect every other aspect of his performance.

Williams showed, in a final, and other games through his career, that he is more than capable of playing in any arc

He is carrying an injury/niggle that has hampered him

Let's just keep the powder dry
Keeping powder dry is not a great strength of many on this board.
Finger pointing, laying blame and jumping to unfounded conclusions.........well that's a different story.

There's no way he can play full time mid at his current fitness levels. This is my issue.

Hope he improves this aspect as it will effect every other aspect of his performance.
I think if they keep playing him midfield at his current fitness levels he will continue to get injured through fatigue

That is Carlton mad supporter and future Blue Matthew Rowell to you.
I love the sentiment, but you have a better chance of finding a one ended stick than that happening. The AFL has made damn sure that he's in for the long haul, sending his best mate and a stack of other high draftees up to GC with him. It would be Coniglio situation times 10 with Rowell. Let's give up on that idea.

Down the track, yes I would expect him to play midfield. By the end of his u18 year he was playing inside mid and apparently at a much higher standard than what he was for victoria in the televised matches.
Are you sure you're thinking of Kemp? Because he had surgery in July that year, and AFAIK his last game in the TAC was in April.

I dont know what is wrong wiht him atm tbh and that is enough acronyms for tonight too - I think he is being played forward too much - thats for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back