Opinion The 'Carlton related stuff that doesn't need it's own thread' thread Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coops93

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 19, 2015
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal, Denver Broncos
I understand where you are coming from, but I much prefer 2 talented KPF's, rather than 1 and a Levi/Jenkins type 2nd tall.

As for the Judd/Kennedy deal, I wasn't on this board, but I can say that I wasn't happy at the time

You can trade for top end midfielders a lot easier than top end KPF's, using draft picks, rather than players
Like I said I'm not arguing one way or the other. I'm on the fence about it but if push came to shove and it was just a player for player trade - no picks and no other player - I think I'd keep McKay over Kelly. My point is that it's not the same situation and shouldn't be dismissed as such.

I remember being disappointed to lose Kennedy - I don't think anyone saw him getting to the level he did, though. There's probably an argument as to whether he would've reached those heights if he'd stayed with us.

Like I said I'm not arguing one way or the other. I'm on the fence about it but if push came to shove and it was just a player for player trade - no picks and no other player - I think I'd keep McKay over Kelly. My point is that it's not the same situation and shouldn't be dismissed as such.

I remember being disappointed to lose Kennedy - I don't think anyone saw him getting to the level he did, though. There's probably an argument as to whether he would've reached those heights if he'd stayed with us.
Yep. I'm happy for him. It was win-win at the time.

Aug 26, 2004
CHANEL BOUTIQUE!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
"Goddess"
The Club better include a defibrillator in next years M/ship packs.

My heart can't take it anymore and my cardiologist is costing me a fortune!

Ehc0XxZUMAAA0Qs

Ehc0XxZUMAAA0Qs

So close .... slot those three in as wins and the ladder looks completely different.

... which isn't what I said.

I'm not saying that we should trade McKay or Curnow, I'm attacking the notion that one cannot.

Your notion is correct in principle, but the thing with us is that we don't have many good KPP's

McKay, Weitering and all being well, CCurnow. That's it.
The next two in line would be 30 year olds Jones and Casboult and then it's all just 'hope' from there.

I'm not sure we should be leaning on the likes of Macreadie, Moore, Goddard or BSilvagni.
It may all seem to be OK for now, but it wouldn't take much for us to realise just how thin we are on quality, here.

Coops93

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 19, 2015
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal, Denver Broncos
Your notion is correct in principle, but the thing with us is that we don't have many good KPP's

The next two in line would be 30 year olds Jones and Casboult and then it's all just 'hope' from there.

I'm not sure we should be leaning on the likes of Macreadie, Moore, Goddard or BSilvagni.
It may all seem to be OK for now, but it wouldn't take much for us to realise just how thin we are on quality, here.
I think Goddard and Macreadie have shown that they are good enough to handle being in the team for 2 or 3 weeks, but you wouldn't want to depend on them for half a season.

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton

I agree, and I don't think we should trade Curnow or McKay, unless and until someone offers outrageous overs for them.

We're in an extremely odd position that in a rather ironic way is the complete opposite of 09-11; we have a surplus of AFL quality KPP's at both ends, but in two tiers (old and about to retire; young and promising but unable quite to displace the older group). Marchbank, Macreadie and Ben Silvagni either haven't been on the park and/or haven't been able to displace Jones, TDK while looking great from limited ruck minutes (and, as far as I'm concerned, until he can we should be running with Casboult and TDK alone as our team ruckmen) isn't able to run out a full game yet and thus Pitto's played perhaps a few more than he should, and Harry's played a few undeservingly and so has Gov.

I think we need to continue picking up KPP prospects with reasonable talent, if only because you can always trade the ones who do not come on once your club has a reputation for good development of them, and the best do not grow on trees. I'd be interested in Grainger-Barass in this draft (in the event we don't trade our first) as a Jones replacement, but doing that would consign one to all of Macreadie, Goddard and Ben to the delist pile; one cannot carry all of these prospective KPD's, and Jones, GB, Weitering, Marchbank with Cas as short term cover is enough.

It's up forward that I'm a little concerned. We have 3 KPF prospects, but to date only 2 of them (Harry and Charlie) have really demonstrated their game ahead of the ball. TDK shows more as an athletic around the ball player rather than someone leading hard at the ball carrier or taking a big contested mark; for some reason, up forward he seems to get stuck behind the player. Perhaps it's because when he's up forward he's resting (and therefore tired) but it isn't good positioning; yes, he's within his first 20 games.

I have huge props on Macreadie, but I don't really have a basis for them beyond that stunning first year.

I've been pretty clear about reshuffling our list, continuing building and exchanging the bits that aren't working as well and bringing in new talent and new grunt. We also need the smalls to develop, too, and perhaps to consider a change in structure ahead and around the ball, to compensate for our lack of pace and for our poor defensive positioning around a stoppage.

You've said it plenty of times, and you're right; we still don't know what we have.

Ehc0XxZUMAAA0Qs
Should have won all 8 of them ...

... could easily have lost all 8 of them. What a season!

TD2010

Club Legend
Aug 5, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
With a late season finish it will be interesting to see what rest they give the players, to mentally freshen up. The hub life for almost three months will have put a huge strain on them, and they'll need time to undo. It has potentially strained relationships back home and they'll need and deserve time to re-connect and get a crazy season behind them. Time for surgery, and/or recover from injuries as well.

Then there's potential list reductions, trade week not far, a comprised draft, re-employment of staff, coaches, development of Ikon, AFL Womens......it's going to be hectic.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Macca43

Premiership Player
Mar 10, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Funny to see Matthew Lloyd list the blues as the biggest losers of the week - it was a terrible loss but at least we aren't getting belted by 10 goals having traded out our first round pick for the last 3 years!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AndyLucimitis

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 14, 2002
Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea
I can't stand Cornes so I refrain from listening to him. But from what i've read on here...is he wrong?

I watched the footage of Cornes and basically re-iterated what's been written on her - lack of leadership in big moments which saw us beaten in crucial games.

Also thought the expose on Cripps and our over-reliance on him was pretty accurate as well with Cripps feeling he has to carry us and so tries to do too much.

As much as I hate to say - I agree with all the points.

So.....can our leaders watch this and have it burn in the guts over the summer and say 'Never again !!'.

Jun 20, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
I can't stand Cornes so I refrain from listening to him. But from what i've read on here...is he wrong?
Infinite Monkey Theorum is the idea that if you have an infinite number of monkeys randomly banging on typewriters for an infinite amount of time, they will eventually produce some work like Shakespeare's Hamlet. Personally I would rather get the work already rather than being in a noisy room for all eternity. Cornes is paid to get attention, but I can do without the noise.

BeijingBlue

All Australian
Jun 12, 2013
Gippsland
AFL Club
Carlton
I watched the footage of Cornes and basically re-iterated what's been written on her - lack of leadership in big moments which saw us beaten in crucial games.

Also thought the expose on Cripps and our over-reliance on him was pretty accurate as well with Cripps feeling he has to carry us and so tries to do too much.

As much as I hate to say - I agree with all the points.

So.....can our leaders watch this and have it burn in the guts over the summer and say 'Never again !!'.
If the past is any indication, no.

Funk

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 6, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Seriously.

Why react to him? Why share his articles, and mention his name?

It isn't personal, it's strictly professional. He's doing this to elicit this kind of a response from you, and to make you want to share your outrage. It doesn't matter to him what you think of him; he's a professional provocateur. His ******* job is completely and comprehensively to get you talking, either about him or about his opinion. His position exists to make you click on articles which have ads attached, and to call up radio stations to b*tch about him, and to make comments on social media.

If you want him to go away, pretend he doesn't exist. Don't click on his media; don't give him any screen time. Seriously. For fu**'s sake. How many ******* times do I have to say it?

For anyone doubting this post remember the Furphy he was peddling about the Cripps/Fyfe trade.

When grilled he admitted he didn’t have any inside info - just made it all up.

Cornes is floggiest of all flogs.

i literally turn radio/TV off when he appears.

He is walking/talking click bait and Hutchy the fat arsed wombat is at home counting his money while laughing at all the peanuts who listen to him!!!!

Oct 4, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back