Opinion The 'Carlton related stuff that doesn't need it's own thread' thread Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you get a chance, watch the ABC series "you can't ask that" on iView. The ex-footballers episode had some honest and very interesting discussions.
Daniel Jackson comes across as very thoughtful, and Brock McLean talks about depression, bulimia and drugs.
Also has Ian Roberts, Jude Bolton and Todd Carney.

Nov 11, 2005
Queensland
AFL Club
Carlton
True, but do you think Teagues gamestyle is sustainable?

Personally, the breakneck speed he wants to move the ball concerns me. I think it contributes to the turnovers and our spread at that point, doesn't help us defensively to combat a counter attack

I am more about prevention, rather than fix
I think so because execution of skills can be as much about confidence/self belief as the skills themselves. Of course we still have a number of players in the seniors whose skills are barely above average at the best of times, so it is a matter of gradually filtering these players out & replacing them with better skilled players & we do have those running around in the VFL.

A few years ago we used to be able to make fun of Richmond's poor skills. I used to always want the ball in the hands of Rance, Cotchin & sometimes even Martin (among others) when we played Richmond. Once their confidence/self belief grew, these players started executing their skills so much better, but as we have seen in a couple of games this year, when Richmond are under pressure & the confidence dips, the skills go with it.

If you get a chance, watch the ABC series "you can't ask that" on iView. The ex-footballers episode had some honest and very interesting discussions.
Daniel Jackson comes across as very thoughtful, and Brock McLean talks about depression, bulimia and drugs.
Also has Ian Roberts, Jude Bolton and Todd Carney.

Thanks, I will keep that in the memory, for when I'm a 60-70 year old watching ABC :thumbsupv1:

Nov 9, 2007
The honorable loss factory
AFL Club
Carlton
Thank god that pretentious flog is gone. Simply in it for himself. Good player though.
I'm not sure I would have gone that far but the juddchella/influencer/family as a commodity he and bec cultivate doesn't do much for me and I don't think it enhanced his perceived role at the club.

Michael Jezz

Premiership Player
Jan 30, 2007
collingwood
AFL Club
Carlton
Carlton with the 6th (weitering) and 19th (Jones) best KP defender.
10th (docherty) and 15th (saad) best general defender
13th best KP forward (McKay)
5th (Fogarty) and 10th (gibbons) best general forward.
13th best mid (Walsh)
Wing we have no one - what a surprise
4th best mid-fwd (Williams)
7th best ruck (Pittonet)

How are we outside the 8 again? Without looking at other teams id say our side has a more balanced statistical team than any other in the AFL.

We are outside the eight because our players according to your data are not top 10 in their position. It appears the rankings for the most part correlate to our ladder position

Carlton with the 6th (weitering) and 19th (Jones) best KP defender.
10th (docherty) and 15th (saad) best general defender
13th best KP forward (McKay)
5th (Fogarty) and 10th (gibbons) best general forward.
13th best mid (Walsh)
Wing we have no one - what a surprise
4th best mid-fwd (Williams)
7th best ruck (Pittonet)

How are we outside the 8 again? Without looking at other teams id say our side has a more balanced statistical team than any other in the AFL.

This is the group who suggested that Lloyd Meeks and 20 odd other players were better than Harry during the Freo game. The game where he kicked 7 goals.

The AFL player ratings are a laughable joke.

Nov 11, 2005
Queensland
AFL Club
Carlton
For those who might have a bit of time on their hands tomorrow, the Northern Bullants are on Kayo Freebies. This will be an opportunity to have a look at BSOS, O'Dwyer & Kye Quirk running around for the Bullants.
Had a look at this game this afternoon. BSOS played on Ugle-Hagan & kept him pretty well out of the game. Ugle-Hagan's only goal came from a mark he took whilst BSOS was standing JGM.

I will be very surprised if Tom Wilson doesn't finally find his way onto an AFL list in this year's mid-season draft. He is still winning a tonne of the ball & using it well with either foot. Small forward Billy Murphy is one to look out for too. 3 goals today, gives him 6 so far this season. He applies a good tackle too.

fnm_just a man

Cancelled
Aug 11, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Anyone have this merch?

Would like to know if it is somewhat warm/decent quality...

Does anyone know what the deal is with tickets to our game up in Sydney in a few weeks?

Had planned to drive up and go to the game with family who live there. Family messaged me tonight that tickets go on sale tomorrow, which I found bizarre given tickets to next week's game vs the Dogs aren't even on sale.

Didn't sound right to me, but turns out Gen Admin does indeed go on sale tomorrow.

Is it worth buying then or will there be AFL member tickets going on sale in a few weeks as per normal?

Nov 27, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Anyone have this merch?

Would like to know if it is somewhat warm/decent quality...
Bought it. Returned it. Very average.
It looked warm. Just tried it in didn't really wear it.

NavySteel

Premiership Player
Jun 15, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
So Pickett is now the greatest under 21 year old player of all time. Did I hear that right?

Please tell me I heard that wrong.
Walsh will never be an ultimate superstar. They always want to say “well he’s good but he’s not better than ‘x’. If you just tag him...”.

He’s being compared to CJ for f’s sake!! Ain’t nobody comparing Rozee, B Smith, et al. to him anymore.

33 touch, 7 clr, and a goal game and the media highlight his ability to run “but not gutbusting” and that “if Essendon were more aware things would have been different for Walsh”. Nevermind the sublime skill to kick his goal, go tough in a contest to wear a tackle and pass to advantage... nevermind all that because Kysaiah Pickett has a higher output than any 21 year old in history (out of a sample of 20 games...).

Once the media decided he was vanilla, that was it. Walsh can win 2 brownlows, 2 norm smiths and be a premiership captain and they’ll still say that Dusty was better.

Tune would be totally different from these knobs if Walsh played for Melbourne, PA, or Essendon.

Rant over.

Stamos

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 30, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
360 gives us 90 seconds of coverage, most of which is a negative spin on our win because "the good teams dont win like that".

So sick of the hate we get.

You have to admit that there are reasonable questions over our game style, and ability to beat decent teams. Win at least 2 of our next 3 and we might start getting the credit you're after.

Last edited:

skadoosh

Premiership Player
May 26, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
The strength by Walsh to push McGrath off him and getting a quick kick into the F50 was so impressive. My eyes see Walsh as a lean, endurance running type body, however, he is deceivingly strong in the hips and core, and like JSOS has the innate ability to keep his feet in contests.

Sam is 20 years old...we get to enjoy another 10 years of this. He plays more like an experienced 26 year old midfielder. Just special vanilla.

Nov 3, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sandringham Zebras, Melbourne Renegades
You have to admit that there are reasonable questions over our game style, and ability to beat decent teams. Win at least 2 of our next 3 and we might start getting the credit you're after.
Our team has one of the hardest starts to the season. We've had 4 opportunities so far to prove ourselves against 2020 finals opposition, but we haven't won a single one of those games.

Although this seems like a huge negative, I personally see 2 positives. 1 - In the next 2 weeks we have another two opportunities against the 1st and 2nd placed teams. 2 - It means our stretch home (hopefully towards finals) is a relatively easy one.

Come on BLUES, bring the same mongrel and attack on the footy every week and we can do it!

Aug 30, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Walsh will never be an ultimate superstar. They always want to say “well he’s good but he’s not better than ‘x’. If you just tag him...”.

He’s being compared to CJ for f’s sake!! Ain’t nobody comparing Rozee, B Smith, et al. to him anymore.

33 touch, 7 clr, and a goal game and the media highlight his ability to run “but not gutbusting” and that “if Essendon were more aware things would have been different for Walsh”. Nevermind the sublime skill to kick his goal, go tough in a contest to wear a tackle and pass to advantage... nevermind all that because Kysaiah Pickett has a higher output than any 21 year old in history (out of a sample of 20 games...).

Once the media decided he was vanilla, that was it. Walsh can win 2 brownlows, 2 norm smiths and be a premiership captain and they’ll still say that Dusty was better.

Tune would be totally different from these knobs if Walsh played for Melbourne, PA, or Essendon.

Rant over.
The reference to 'not gutbusting' was regarding the bit of vision being shown at the time where he wasn't really moving fast but cleverly running into vacant space and holding a good position in the opening. Soon after they made the Robert Harvey comparison, looks wrecked but just wills himself from contest to contest and into dangerous space.

I interpreted the talk around Essendon not being aware as positive commentary for Walsh and negative for McGrath or whoever his opponent was at the time. If everyone knows how good a runner he is and the calibre of footballer he is then why would they not be trying to pay more attention to him? Not that if they kept an eye on him he 'd have a quiet game.

There's been other media chat this week about tagging him and one of the points that keeps getting brought up is that it's not that easy because your tagger has to be able to run with him to shut him out, something that's clearly pretty f****** hard.

I've heard Gary & Kane put their hand up and say they got it wrong regarding their rankings of his draft. Pretty much everyone is penciling him in for AA. Others are describing him as a future Brownlow medalist, some saying it could be this year if we can win 10+. I know some frown upon the reference, but since the start of the season he's come in from 81 to 15 for the Brownlow, equal 6th. He's also the 6th highest SC scorer which uses the Champion Data ranking points. AFL Exchange suggested he's the next young gun who could enter the genuine 'superstar' category (which was Dusty, Bont, Petracca, Fyfe, Danger, Martin, Green), ahead of McCluggage and Pickett who were next in line (Pickett had the caveat of being too small a sample size so far but tracking incredibly well).

I can't remember a more positive week regarding the Sam Walsh discussion.

NavySteel

Premiership Player
Jun 15, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
The reference to 'not gutbusting' was regarding the bit of vision being shown at the time where he wasn't really moving fast but cleverly running into vacant space and holding a good position in the opening. Soon after they made the Robert Harvey comparison, looks wrecked but just wills himself from contest to contest and into dangerous space.

I interpreted the talk around Essendon not being aware as positive commentary for Walsh and negative for McGrath or whoever his opponent was at the time. If everyone knows how good a runner he is and the calibre of footballer he is then why would they not be trying to pay more attention to him? Not that if they kept an eye on him he 'd have a quiet game.

There's been other media chat this week about tagging him and one of the points that keeps getting brought up is that it's not that easy because your tagger has to be able to run with him to shut him out, something that's clearly pretty f****** hard.

I've heard Gary & Kane put their hand up and say they got it wrong regarding their rankings of his draft. Pretty much everyone is penciling him in for AA. Others are describing him as a future Brownlow medalist, some saying it could be this year if we can win 10+. I know some frown upon the reference, but since the start of the season he's come in from 81 to 15 for the Brownlow, equal 6th. He's also the 6th highest SC scorer which uses the Champion Data ranking points. AFL Exchange suggested he's the next young gun who could enter the genuine 'superstar' category (which was Dusty, Bont, Petracca, Fyfe, Danger, Martin, Green), ahead of McCluggage and Pickett who were next in line (Pickett had the caveat of being too small a sample size so far but tracking incredibly well).

I can't remember a more positive week regarding the Sam Walsh discussion.
It's ok. You're probably right.... Someone p***** in my cornflakes this morning!

El Topo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 18, 2013
the wilderness
AFL Club
Carlton
Our team has one of the hardest starts to the season. We've had 4 opportunities so far to prove ourselves against 2020 finals opposition, but we haven't won a single one of those games.

Although this seems like a huge negative, I personally see 2 positives. 1 - In the next 2 weeks we have another two opportunities against the 1st and 2nd placed teams. 2 - It means our stretch home (hopefully towards finals) is a relatively easy one.

Come on BLUES, bring the same mongrel and attack on the footy every week and we can do it!

We entered the bye last year with an even W/L and the most favourable run home in the comp - that didn't end so well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back