Opinion The 'Carlton related stuff that doesn't need it's own thread' thread Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just like we could never go full Judd on Walsh after his first season, I doubt anyone takes the pickett comment that seriously. But Sam is now fully in the radar and to be doing what he is doing in his third season, is remarkable
Fabulous how today's supporters are able to witness the birth of a phenomenon the way us old farts watched Doormat, Sticks & Diesel. Just be prepared for your kids and grandkids to come at you with "Ok, we get it. Sam Walsh, Sam Walsh. He was the best you ever saw. You saw his first game, blah, blah, blah. Shut the * up about Sam Walsh!"

The I50s against seem high but they are obviously not going to a lot of acknowledged scoring areas. Low percentage entries from our opposition it seems.

The point of the whole thing is our inaccuracy is costing us games, more so than our entries. It doesn't seem that way sometimes.

Have been making the point week in week out - was very obvious it cost games in first 4 rounds and Port - the stats when there is enough elbow room for error dont lie. Owies kicking set shots like he did last week was a huge improvement compared to misses from Eddie /Cripps/Levi from directly in front on multiple occassions in first 5 rounds. Score board pressure is the #1 pressure act - also removes rebound capability etc etc etc...

Jun 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester United
Fabulous how today's supporters are able to witness the birth of a phenomenon the way us old farts watched Doormat, Sticks & Diesel. Just be prepared for your kids and grandkids to come at you with "Ok, we get it. Sam Walsh, Sam Walsh. He was the best you ever saw. You saw his first game, blah, blah, blah. Shut the fu** up about Sam Walsh!"

Yeah, but back then kids had very little attention and were hung up on why the * you were calling another human being a Doormat. Now it’s like, Sam Walsh! Strong name.

agree, its not worth making a ladder on it

For you.

For others, it is informative. Let's not ruin it for everyone because you don't like it.

teagueyubeauty

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Somewhere there
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool, Yankees
Have been making the point week in week out - was very obvious it cost games in first 4 rounds and Port - the stats when there is enough elbow room for error dont lie. Owies kicking set shots like he did last week was a huge improvement compared to misses from Eddie /Cripps/Levi from directly in front on multiple occassions in first 5 rounds. Score board pressure is the #1 pressure act - also removes rebound capability etc etc etc...

Wholeheartedly agree the biggest pressure any team or individual can face is scoreboard pressure. Doesn’t matter what sport you are playing.

You can have the in your face manic pressure on the field which the good teams have but that’s an immediate pressure for that moment when you have the ball or the ball is in your area. The scoreboard dictates how you play, more or less risk

I just do not get why clubs don’t put a huge effort in at every training session to make a meaningful difference to an absolute key to winning games. It’s bewildering

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Nov 14, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
He was parroting the internal party line ( mistakenly I think in public) at the time- Teague's relief wins and the player' preference for him as well as all the obvious changes any experienced coach would have requested be made to the whole coaching line up an even football department makeup - made Teague the easier call. Teague himself was not convinced it was time for him - I think the player support convinced him - for obvious reasons.

Where the Club got it wrong if it did get it wrong and time will tell on that this year - is not appointing a senior experienced helping hand to Teague- but maybe they thought they had that in Barker and maybe they do - who knows for sure?
If Teague is replaced, we have wasted another 2 years and have to start again with a new coach, game plan, Head of Football etc. With Cripps, Harry off contract this year and Walsh next year, the last thing you want to be talking about is a new coach...

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Fabulous how today's supporters are able to witness the birth of a phenomenon the way us old farts watched Doormat, Sticks & Diesel. Just be prepared for your kids and grandkids to come at you with "Ok, we get it. Sam Walsh, Sam Walsh. He was the best you ever saw. You saw his first game, blah, blah, blah. Shut the fu** up about Sam Walsh!"

Will they ever get sick about their dad or grandad mentioning kane cornes in the same sentence?

Nov 14, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton

Young people are not aware of what an incredible engine Craig Bradley had when he played. From memory he was one of the first players they tracked and calculated he was running close to 20km per game....in the 80's, when footy was part time! Played 375 games for CFC, 98 games for Port Adelaide, 15 State of Origins for SA and represented Australia 9 times. A total of 501 senior games in his career that lasted until he was 37. He was also a State cricketer for South Australia.

Almost the perfect sporting specimen.

Hopefully Sam Walsh goes on to play over 300 games...at least..

Jun 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester United
Kemp is going to put a huge smile on Carlton people's dial later this year he will end up being the best draft pick of his year (injuries allowing) - including better than Rowell or whatever his name is.

That is Carlton mad supporter and future Blue Matthew Rowell to you.

Nov 27, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
When I read the original poster reference Essendon as the Bummers, the homosexual slur was the first and only thing I thought of, I didn’t know it wasn’t a commonly known reference.

I guess references change throughout the years or from place to place, I remember living in England, people using it a bit.

It seems the poster wasn’t intending the reference to be taken that way.
Fair enough. That being a homophobic slur wouldn't have even crossed my mind.

Still seems a long bow to draw to me.

Happy to give it a miss of it offends anyone in that community.

I'd love to hear from someone who it actually may impact rather than someone who is outraged on behalf of them.

Nov 27, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
I use the word bummers, but I don't see it as a gay slur.

If people are offended, will revert back to *
* looks like someone's starfish.

Can't use that either because obviously it's relating to a sphincter.

See how easy it is to be a gatekeeper about everything. It's gotta stop somewhere.

JeSOS

Senior List
Oct 16, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
* looks like someone's starfish.

Can't use that either because obviously it's relating to a sphincter.

See how easy it is to be a gatekeeper about everything. It's gotta stop somewhere.

1620190736996.png

1620190771271.png

Kemp is going to put a huge smile on Carlton people's dial later this year he will end up being the best draft pick of his year (injuries allowing) - including better than Rowell or whatever his name is.

Rowell is basically Sam Walsh 2.0 with additional goal kicking.

HUGE call.

I'm skeptical but I would be so happy if you're right.

Jun 4, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton

"Carlton has a bit of a conundrum on their hands.
They have too many on-ballers and not enough centre bounce opportunities to share around."
Raises the question... Why tf did we recruit Williams as a midfielder...

El Topo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 18, 2013
the wilderness
AFL Club
Carlton
Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Rowell is a Walsh like jet when fit, while having watched all of Kemp's available U18 games, I would compare him to Brendan Goddard. That being said, he's had significant injuries since then and will take a while for him to get back to the level of others in the league.

More of an Aaron Francis vibe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back