Opinion The 'Carlton related stuff that doesn't need it's own thread' thread Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 16, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
Not so sure

Mummy, Sinclair, Ellis, Couch, Butler, Markov, Redden, J Cripps, Daniher, C Cameron, Williams, Saad.......

Sure there are a bucket load more if I check

I must not of been clear, I was talking key position defenders, that players who aren’t getting opportunities at their clubs, won’t come to us, if they think they’re just going to play 2s.

Thats why i Said only guys approaching retirement, delisted players or second tier players would be interested, then ideally we’d draft a long term replacement.

Mar 19, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Denver Broncos
On more important matters, I hope that the review recommends that the players slow down renditions of the club song after a win, and get rid of the whoops.

It's disrespectful to the best song in the competition.

I understand where you're coming from, but they could sing it in jazz for all I care if they sung it a lot more regularly than what they do now.

Nov 27, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
He took a pay cut on his current contract. Was offered more than his current contract elsewhere.

He's at the age where it was his last big contract. He took unders when he was offered overs.

No, that doesn't happen very often.

Knows by being a one-club Carlton champion that he'll be taken well care of post-footy.
Fair enough.

Nov 4, 2003
Earth, near Carlton.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Sorry I wasn’t clear, I was talking about KPD and that players not getting opportunities at other clubs, aren’t coming to us, to wait for Jones to retire or hope for an injury.

If the coaches wanted to add another key defender to the starting team, then it changes things, but it doesn’t make any sense to me, why someone not getting a game elsewhere, would come to do the same thing.
It is actually possible to identify developing talent or unfairly maligned talent and buy low, particularly if you can communicate a pathway for them to crack the 22.

We seem to play favourites (and this pre-dates Teague) and that creates frustration and despondancy for developing players.

The club probably see OMac as just such a player, but I don't.

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
I must not of been clear, I was talking key position defenders, that players who aren’t getting opportunities at their clubs, won’t come to us, if they think they’re just going to play 2s.

Thats why i Said only guys approaching retirement, delisted players or second tier players would be interested, then ideally we’d draft a long term replacement.

Guys that can play KPD, OOC

Ballenden, Zerk-Thatcher, Kolodjashnij, Riccardi, O'Brien, Lienert, Miller, Brander, Young

Just need one to want in

I love it!
Can we keep him?
no, he has to go back, there's no room for him here - besides, who would look after him? you? russell? don't make me laugh, it wouldn't be fair on the little fella

no, he has to go back, there's no room for him here - besides, who would look after him? you? russell? don't make me laugh - it wouldn't be fair on the little fella

Aug 16, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal

Ballenden, Zerk-Thatcher, Kolodjashnij, Riccardi, O'Brien, Lienert, Miller, Brander, Young

Just need one to want in

Yes, I know the names, why would someone like Ballenden, Lienert, Young, leave a club, where they’re not getting an opportunity and come to us, to be in the same spot?

Our two KPD are very good, so unless we want to play another tall, they will be in the 2s or waiting for an injury.

Those players, if they were to leave, it would be to a club, where they are going to get more game time, not wait for an injury and play 2s

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
Yes, I know the names, why would someone like Ballenden, Lienert, Young, leave a club, where they’re not getting an opportunity and come to us, to be in the same spot?

Our two KPD are very good, so unless we want to play another tall, they will be in the 2s or waiting for an injury.

Those players, if they were to leave, it would be to a club, where they are going to get more game time, not wait for an injury and play 2s

Jones is agile enough to play as a 3rd tall, so any one of those could hold down a KPD role.

Brander can also play on wing, Ballenden plays anywhere down the spine, Riccardi as a forward, O'Brien too

Makes sense doesn't it

Aug 16, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
Jones is agile enough to play as a 3rd tall, so any one of those could hold down a KPD role.

Brander can also play on wing, Ballenden plays anywhere down the spine, Riccardi as a forward, O'Brien too

Makes sense doesn't it

Now this is different to how we currently set up and would change things, it would allow Jones to either sit back or attack, it makes sense, is Brander still out of contract? He’s stepped up quite a bit this year, I don’t know if any tall forward would come to us, they would be relying on an injury to play, which could be a lot mind you. A forward ruck though would be nice.

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton

Just need one to want in
Want Riccardi, Brander. Zerk-Thatcher means dealing with Essendon.

Riccardi's competent at both ends. Brander is within a good system for developing talls. Would approach both, keep Macdonald and Marchbank (whilst transitioning Caleb to the rookie list, if possible; if he wants to repay the faith we have in him by not accepting that, he's welcome to leave) and I'd like to draft a KPF.

So 4 KPP's from trades and retained (hopefully with the latter two costing just a rookie contract each) with 3 to all of them capable at both ends of the ground, and a KPF drafted with our first.

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
Want Riccardi, Brander. Zerk-Thatcher means dealing with Essendon.

Riccardi's competent at both ends. Brander is within a good system for developing talls. Would approach both, keep Macdonald and Marchbank (whilst transitioning Caleb to the rookie list, if possible; if he wants to repay the faith we have in him by not accepting that, he's welcome to leave) and I'd like to draft a KPF.

So 4 KPP's from trades and retained (hopefully with the latter two costing just a rookie contract each) with 3 to all of them capable at both ends of the ground, and a KPF drafted with our first.

If we retain all our talls (apart from Levi), I would prefer the following, at least 3 talls this off season

Replacement for Levi, a forward/ruck currently in the system

KPP Swingwan and KPD, possibly one of which is currently in the system

That gives us

Weitering

Jones - KPD ( Jones agile enough to play 3rd tall, till KPD replaces him

TDK

Forward/Ruck

Harry

Charlie roaming as a 3rd tall, KPF if need be

As a back up, Pitto, Mirkov, KPP Swingman, OMac

That's BARE minimum

Beyond Blue

Club Legend
Jun 25, 2021
AFL Club
Carlton
If we retain all our talls (apart from Levi), I would prefer the following, at least 3 talls this off season

Replacement for Levi, a forward/ruck currently in the system

KPP Swingwan and KPD, possibly one of which is currently in the system

That gives us

Weitering

Jones - KPD ( Jones agile enough to play 3rd tall, till KPD replaces him

TDK

Forward/Ruck

Harry

Charlie roaming as a 3rd tall, KPF if need be

As a back up, Pitto, Mirkov, KPP Swingman, OMac

That's BARE minimum

This is spot on.
I'm not expecting A Graders just some cheaper ready made options for cover such as:
KPP Swingmen: Riccardi or Tim O'Brien
KPD: Talia, Hombsch or even Schlensong from the WAFL as a short term plug in case of injuries and draft Gibcus as a long term replacement for Jones
Ruck/forward: Bailey Williams (West Coast) or Callum Coleman-Jones
This must be our focus to make up for last year's debacle of delisting 3 KPPs and not replacing any of them like-for-like which cost us badly versus North, so I'd actually consider trading up to secure Gibcus especially after missing Reid in last years draft by trading our first rounder for Saad (this obviously means no Cerra but I'd rather back in Dow, LOB, Philp, Carroll or Ramsay to take the step up next year).

BigFrizz36

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 20, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Very interesting article on Luc Longley on abc.com.au which deals with his career and being left out of the last dance doco.

Part of it explains how the bulls were treated like rock stars during their threepeat. Luc used to have to use an alias at hotels. The two names he used were Norman Gunston and his hero Bruce Doull.

Garters

Club Legend
Apr 12, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Very interesting article on Luc Longley on abc.com.au which deals with his career and being left out of the last dance doco.

Part of it explains how the bulls were treated like rock stars during their threepeat. Luc used to have to use an alias at hotels. The two names he used were Norman Gunston and his hero Bruce Doull.
Watch tonight's Australian Story on ABC iView. It is on Luc Longley, interviews all the big names about Luc. He was a different cat compared to the prevailing personality type he was playing with. Really interesting. Was the absolute antithesis to MJ, yet they found a way to make it work. Worth a watch.

Caro and Hutch both reckon Clarko won't leave Melbourne if he's going to coach again next year.

Caro went on to say that he'd go to Carlton.

Lloyd then threw the Pies up as another option.

Caro also said she'd bet $1000 he wouldn't go to Collingwood.
Caro has been spot on re Clarkson so far. Hope she has got this one wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back