Opinion The 'Carlton related stuff that doesn't need it's own thread' thread Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The guy who has been attending the site I’m on in a smoko van yesterday was wearing an old blues shirt. I said to him ‘oh you’re a blues fan?’ And he gave me this look of ‘here we go again I’m about to get taunted endlessly’. Until I told him I had a similar affliction and we had a good chat.
Can’t wait to be confident in our team and have some swagger about it.

Last edited:
I reckon Damo is right that the destination club stuff is a bit cringy. But he’s ignoring where Sayers is at. When you’ve been on the Board for a long while during a period of underperformance, and when you’ve potentially got challengers, then you’ve got to blow your own trumpet.
It's not trumpet blowing and to call it cringe is misunderstanding what's going on.

Sayers is big on culture, he hired the culture guy as the CEO. He's trying to project confidence and direction, the type of thing that filters down through the club from the top.

It's not trumpet blowing and to call it cringe is misunderstanding what's going on.

Sayers is big on culture, he hired the culture guy as the CEO. He's trying to project confidence and direction, the type of thing that filters down through the club from the top.

Oh you’re right ST, there is probably a cultural element involved. Though enough of it is clearly preening re potential challengers. I’m still pretty comfortable with saying I find it cringy though. I’m the kind of person who prefers a leader where actions speak louder than words.

Oh you’re right ST, there is probably a cultural element involved. Though enough of it is clearly preening re potential challengers. I’m still pretty comfortable with saying I find it cringy though. I’m the kind of person who prefers a leader where actions speak louder than words.

I would say his actions have matched up pretty well to his words. So far.

Yes as am I and that's probably why I'm comfortable with it. To me Sayers actions have been loud. I'm just hoping his attitude is infectious. It's far better to be supremely confident in the industry than meek and weak.

We shall see, very excited about next season. More so than I have been in a fair while. Think lots of that feel has to be credited to sayers and the ruthless confidence he seems to have.

Do people actually take the sliding doors s*** seriously?

Damo himself has admitted he just punches some crap out late the night before.

it’s not a well thought out piece, or even meant to be anything more than a handful of (debatably) thought provoking statements.

It’s also probably the best content that has him name on it, as the format means he can’t use 57 extra words when trying to say a simple sentence. Makes Derm sound like Doull.

I doubt that Bruce Doull even knows what Bruce Doull sounds like anymore.

Yes as am I and that's probably why I'm comfortable with it. To me Sayers actions have been loud. I'm just hoping his attitude is infectious. It's far better to be supremely confident in the industry than meek and weak.

We shall see, very excited about next season. More so than I have been in a fair while. Think lots of that feel has to be credited to sayers and the ruthless confidence he seems to have.

I suppose my only comment in reply would be, how do you know the big talk from Sayers is different to those who have gone before him? Liddle, MLG, and Teague all talked finals. And they backed it up by hitting free agency last year with Williams and swooping on Saad. So wasn’t their talk also possibly about culture?

I would say his actions have matched up pretty well to his words. So far.

Or you could say he has secured a CEO Geelong were discarding, a coach who had been overlooked by other sides, and traded for a guy who other clubs didn’t actively pursue or didn’t have trade currency for.

Now… I happen to have a slightly rosier view than the above. But I am trying to point out that others would say there is no scoreboard for us to point at yet. And given we are coming out of the Liddle era where we continually talked a big game, you can see why there might be industry scepticism around the words from Sayers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone who is a tad despondent should do what I do.

Weitering
Saad
Williams
Jones
Kemp

Cripps
Walsh
Cerra
Hewett
Stocker
TDK

Martin
Honey
SOJ
McGovern
Charlie
Harry

leaving : Plowman Newman Marchbank Boyd Young - to fight it out for a defensive spot ( Docherty LTI I reckon)
leaving : Kennedy Ed Philp Carroll LoB Dow Setterfield Cottrell Carroll Pittonet Newnes - to fight it out for a couple of midfield spots
leaving : Durdin Owies Fisher Cuningham McDonald to fight it out for a forward spot

change your preferred from the last 4 picks if you like - the story doesn't change.

eg put Stocker into midfield rotations and play Kemp back | drop McGovern for Fisher /Durdin /Owies - doesn't matter.

Fix the midfield game - and Carlton rockets into finals - add a dash of mongrel and could go deeper.

Fingers crossed Vossy hasn't gone too much the hugs and cuddles style with player management- it is the last thing Carlton needs.

Or you could say he has secured a CEO Geelong were discarding, a coach who had been overlooked by other sides, and traded for a guy who other clubs didn’t actively pursue or didn’t have trade currency for.

Now… I happen to have a slightly rosier view than the above. But I am trying to point out that others would say there is no scoreboard for us to point at yet. And given we are coming out of the Liddle era where we continually talked a big game, you can see why there might be industry scepticism around the words from Sayers.
Excellent comment.
Reality Check

It's not hard to be. It's just restating the facts.

Seriously. We know our past makes for some pretty s**t reading. We've gone over it ourselves. We've lived it. What is it about seeing it all in video form accompanied by a monotone voice and C+ graphics that makes it so much more appealing?

We knew we were s**t. We've documented multiple times how and why we were s**t and how we came to get to the point in which we were s**t. There are some excellent summaries on this website, on this board and on the main board, documenting why 2015 was necessary, and the choices we've made.

Why is stating a fact considered such a groundbreaking thing?

It's not hard to be. It's just restating the facts.

Seriously. We know our past makes for some pretty sh*t reading. We've gone over it ourselves. We've lived it. What is it about seeing it all in video form accompanied by a monotone voice and C+ graphics that makes it so much more appealing?

We knew we were sh*t. We've documented multiple times how and why we were sh*t and how we came to get to the point in which we were sh*t. There are some excellent summaries on this website, on this board and on the main board, documenting why 2015 was necessary, and the choices we've made.

Why is stating a fact considered such a groundbreaking thing?
Yeah I get your point, not to mention 16 minutes of a condensed brutal recount of recent history, followed by 1 minute of potentially positive silver lining just to try and balance it up, is a bit of a farce.

I just thought it was a bit of a reality check for those of us who might be ready to pencil in Sayer & Vossy as the next saviors.
I must admit, I really do feel like we've turned a corner and started seriously putting the right structure in place, albeit a bit later than expected.

New President at Geelong new CEO - sound familiar? Cook btw was offered a stay please as consultant role. Are you doubting his ability to make a CLub work cohesively?
Any new coach who has presented previously has been ovelooked by other Clubs - so what? ( I say this after being pretty up front regarding the reaasons for my preference for Lyon )
Traded for a guy(s) that other Clubs didnt actively pursue - because the player(s) nominated Carlton - is how every Club gets a trade in what did you want the players to do or the Club to do - exactly?

I'm more confident today about the outlook - than I have been in 20 years of supporting teh Club (FWIW)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back