Opinion The 'Carlton related stuff that doesn't need it's own thread' thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Security are allegedly cautioning patrons for cheering loudly.
Not for abuse
Not for foul language
Not for intimidation

Security has either gone rogue, or Gil is lying to the fans. Either way, can see behaviour escalating until the protest is heard.

Maybe 50+ people standing and cheering as loud as they can every time security does a walk through may make it hard to target individual patrons who are not hurting anyone.

There is a tipping point waiting to be reached, just hope it isn’t exploited by a wannabe hero with another agenda.

AFL has contributed to an overly charged atmosphere that could, and should, have been avoided.

Couldnt have said it better, the blokes swearing and abusing blokes have no place, but they were walking up and down isles making sure people werent standing up to cheer after goals... its insanity

Ok. I take three young girls to the football. I pay my money and membership the same as anyone else.

Are you also going to show the same disgust and lynch mob mentality when I get a 40 year old lip pierced Collingwood supporter with tattoos up his neck aggressively dropping f- bombs and c-bombs in front of them.

Be careful what you wish for !! Not sure why anyone is protecting these pigs ??

Our game proudly has close to 50% male and female attending games - young and old. Look at English soccer and see how many females attend. It’s an aggressive and intimidating atmosphere.

Is this what people want ? Is this what we are aiming for ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The word picture you painted of the Collingwood support reminds me of a story my mother tells me from when I was young.

At a game at the G in the early 90's a woman wearing a Richmond jumper, covered in piercings stood up and started dropping F and C bombs.

She got the attention of people around her. When she finished my mother looked at me, who was staring at the woman in disbelief.

I turned to my mother and asked "what's wrong with her? She's not a Collingwood supporter?"

You will always hear swearing at the footy. I take my young girl to AFL and VFL games and she understands she will hear words spoken by adults she is not to repeat, just like I did.

We need to crack down on racism and abuse of other supporters as it leads to fights.

If we try to crack down on enough to make it a perfect and ideal environment we will go too far and starting see what we are seeing now which is a brewing issue between fans, security and the AFL.

You mentioned english soccer. Imo the path we are on now is the fastest way to have an incident lead to a football riot.

I'd rather hear some swearing than walk that road.

Screenshot_20190616-084928_Google.jpeg

I find it strange that the AFL doesn't have designated family sections, where alcohol is not sold or confined to the bars.
Also a very sensible solution

I find it strange that the AFL doesn't have designated family sections, where alcohol is not sold or confined to the bars.

How exactly would you divide that up and make suitable allocations?
One part of the ground? One level? How? It's just not that easy and then what are you saying about the other sectors?

I still feel a public announcement of sorts just before the game may 'remind' people to be a little more polite.
May not work and it may be a form of brainwashing to a point, but it would be in the general interest of everyone attending thee games.
No point going to get kicked out, or to have your ugly mug broadcast nationwide, whilst you're in the midst of a 'disagreement'

One part of the ground? One level? How? It's just not that easy and then what are you saying about the other sectors?

I still feel a public announcement of sorts just before the game may 'remind' people to be a little more polite.
May not work and it may be a form of brainwashing to a point, but it would be in the general interest of everyone attending thee games.
No point going to get kicked out, or to have your ugly mug broadcast nationwide, whilst you're in the midst of a 'disagreement'
I'd assume a few allocated bays near each other and if you buy tickets to family bays then go over the top with language you get removed to a GA area.

Like a non smokers section of old

The MCG used to have a dry area in general admission for the cricket and footy.

The reason it no longer exists - my understanding anyway - is because patrons can find a drink at the bar or beer station and consume it without being seated.

Caused more problems than it solved.

Where there’s a will there is a way however. Crowd segregation by membership is common across the world and there would be options to create a solution.

I don't think it would be the hard if its what the AFL or what the venue wanted, the MCC has no alcohol at the seats, that parts not hard.
The general admission sections would be a good start, a designated section that people could go knowing there is no alcohol and a higher level of security present.

This is what trials are for, try something, see if it works, asses it, change it.

The sky didn't fall in when smoking was banned, having family friendly zones at grounds is not a ground breaking.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think it would be the hard if its what the AFL or what the venue wanted, the MCC has no alcohol at the seats, that parts not hard.
The general admission sections would be a good start, a designated section that people could go knowing there is no alcohol and a higher level of security present.
This is what trials are for, try something, see if it works, asses it, change it.
The sky didn't fall in when smoking was banned, having family friendly zones at grounds is not a ground breaking.

Maybe, but what constitutes a family-friendly zone?
How do you qualify to enter this segregated zone?
How does this zone breathe in bigger attended games?

No doubt there'll be plenty of talk around this whole issue this week, but not sure a one size fits all solution is there.
Simply being civil wouldn't be a bad start point from supporters. I feel you have the get the right message across when patrons enter the arena.

maybe having a dry section was admitting they had a violent drunk problem...........
While at the same time, saying they serve mid strength beers but actually serving full strength in a lot of outlets at the ground.

AFL love to have their cake and eat it.

Ban the booze

That’ll solve it most problems I’ve seen are people pissed

That's not going to happen, but how has it ever been that being tanked is a good way to experience a football game?
Two and a half hours to cheer your team, but hey, I'd rather fight and be abusive.

Some people sure do have a weird notion of what it is to have fun. Can't be happy people now, can it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back