The Chief Has Spoken!

Remove this Banner Ad

There was no need to bring in any new rules. Just pay holding the ball and incorrect disposal correctly and you will clean up the stoppages/rolling mauls. Easy fixed...
I've long been an advocate for just throwing the ball up/in straight away, rather than waiting 10 seconds for the rucks and 15 midfielders to run to the stoppage. It would reduce congestion and spread the field. Really simple fix that has never been properly raised for reasons unknown.

I'm so glad he has come out and said this now hopefully others will continue to call out the trash stand rule, taking away the ability to defend the mark it blows my mind it's comical stuff, what's next..
Allowing the 10M kick and mark to creep in...
Allowing more contentious goal reviews to creep in and time waste...WTF do we have goal umpires...

Whatever the rules are our coaching team didn't adapt or change. More foolish us and that's why our FD got an overhaul this year. Stop sooking Richmond as we have an ageing list of stars who are more injury prone than the patients in Twin Parks Nursing home and a list of kids who are below average. Melbourne played our our game plan all year and got the job easily done. It's cattle in the herd and nothing to do with the rule changes. Move on Benny and stop making excuses as we rose from the dead to be a super power and we need to believe we can do it again. The draft this year is so critical with our low picks and our future starts there.
Your assessment of our team’s issues is correct

but Benny is talking about a rule that is ruining footy as a spectacle

two separate issues

The Stand rule is the biggest joke in sport …. To have a player having to not move whilst his opponent just runs around him is an embarrassment to the sport of Aussie rules …. Blind Freddy can see it’s a dumb rule yet the powers to be think it has improved the game … what a crock of s**t …. The sport is changed forever and not for the best …and we all know who is accountable … utter disgrace changing rules at a drop of a hat … and don’t get me started on the nominating for the ruck rule 🙄… grown men having to put their hand up to be allowed to contest the ruck … you can’t make this s**t up …. Farcical

The Stand rule is the biggest joke in sport …. To have a player having to not move whilst his opponent just runs around him is an embarrassment to the sport of Aussie rules …. Blind Freddy can see it’s a dumb rule yet the powers to be think it has improved the game … what a crock of sh*t …. The sport is changed forever and not for the best …and we all know who is accountable … utter disgrace changing rules at a drop of a hat … and don’t get me started on the nominating for the ruck rule 🙄… grown men having to put their hand up to be allowed to contest the ruck … you can’t make this sh*t up …. Farcical
I don't understand the logic of the STAND rule..
If the player with the ball deviates of a straight line to take his kick...like FRANKLIN with his left lean/or to kick for goal...it's called play on immediately...
If the player with the ball deviates of a straight line to take his kick...the man on the mark must wait and wait, wait for the umpire's call to play on???!

I don't understand the logic of the STAND rule..
If the player with the ball deviates of a straight line to take his kick...like FRANKLIN with his left lean/or to kick for goal...it's called play on immediately...
If the player with the ball deviates of a straight line to take his kick...the man on the mark must wait and wait, wait for the umpire's call to play on???!
It’s just a ridiculous rule… but the AFL won’t drop it because it will confirm what we all think … that they are trying to manufacture scoring and bruise free football

Your assessment of our team’s issues is correct

but Benny is talking about a rule that is ruining footy as a spectacle

two separate issues
You ever known the rules committee to change a rule back? Will never happen. KB can crap on about it he's just a media man. Gale should shut up on anything controversial. He's being honest but just sounds like bitterness.
I hope Dimma cuts out the off the cuff comments in pressers too.
I hope we can develop a game plan to address it and let our winning actions speak for themselves next year.
If it's ruined the game for you, don't watch it.

Uniquely Australian sport...
It helped to define us as a Nation...
Use to be the holden, CUB, IMT, Countdown, HHit'sSaturday, music bands have that aussie flavour...now let's just stuff it all up..now it's left to the old fellas to rant about the good old days..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gale should shut up on anything controversial. He's being honest but just sounds like bitterness.
I guess you can take Brad Hardie’s opinion any way you like, but he says Gale’s comments are part of an orchestrated campaign to pressure the AFL about the rule.

Hopefully other leaders from around the league continue the criticism. I’m all for freeing up the footy but this change was a shocker.

I guess the game can’t count on Geelong for support

Last edited:
You ever known the rules committee to change a rule back? Will never happen. KB can crap on about it he's just a media man. Gale should shut up on anything controversial. He's being honest but just sounds like bitterness.
I hope we can develop a game plan to address it and let our winning actions speak for themselves next year.
After all that Benny Gale has done for this club he has my full support to say anything he likes… especially when he’s 100% correct.

every club should send a poll to all its members, coordinated effort.

1. do you think the stand rule is good for the game?

2. has the stand rule increased or decreased your enjoyment of, and interest in, the game?

3. based on the stand rule's ongoing presence in our game, are you more or less likely to:

- attend games
- renew your membership/s
- encourage your children to play the sport?

questions could be better this took 1 minute but you get the idea.

Hocking scurried back to club-land for a reason. The stand rule actually reduced scoring when CH7 was utterly desperate for it to increase by a decent margin.

When CH7 suffers financially, the game suffers, and the AFL will try anything to make them happy which is partly why we ended up with such a botched rule in the first place. I believe the AFL wouldn't hesitate to repeal the rule in CH7 asks them...the danger is the AFL putting an even more hare-brained rule in its place!

Hocking can try to co-opt the Demons successful 30 minutes of the GF, which put back some of the lost $$$ into CH7 coffers. But it's simple fact that it came far too late to save his job, and that tells you everything you need to know about the Stand rule.

Whatever the rules are our coaching team didn't adapt or change. More foolish us and that's why our FD got an overhaul this year. Stop sooking Richmond as we have an ageing list of stars who are more injury prone than the patients in Twin Parks Nursing home and a list of kids who are below average. Melbourne played our our game plan all year and got the job easily done. It's cattle in the herd and nothing to do with the rule changes. Move on Benny and stop making excuses as we rose from the dead to be a super power and we need to believe we can do it again. The draft this year is so critical with our low picks and our future starts there.
To be fair he didn't actually say the stand rule was the reason our season never got going, he just said it was a garbage rule, which it is.

Just like the ridiculous ruck nomination rule, the no need to kick the ball to yourself when kicking out from fullback so just run 30 metres without bouncing the ball and we won't ping you for it rule and finally the refusal to play holding the ball anymore unless the poor sod with the ball is trapped under 4 players and can't move rule.

Last edited:
High pressure surge football.

The Bulldogs started it.

Richmond refined, perfected and turbo charged it.

Melbourne have copied it.

Surge football has been instrumental in breaking three of the longest premiership droughts we have seen. For some reason the AFL hates it.

If anything surge footy breaks congestion apart. These rule changes, particularly the stand rule are ill thought out, done for the wrong reasons and have changed the structure, history and integrity of the game.

Well done Benny for calling it out.

Shocking's time in the role has been the most obvious case of changing the game for personal benefit I've seen in 50 years of playing and watching. It's so clear cut, it's not even a conspiracy theory. This was pulling the teeth of the Tigers.

The question is why ?

The AFL are there to service the game, not run football like a cabal, something they seem to have forgotten. They're there for the game, not the other way around. Ch7 should also have zero say in how the game is played. Zero. We've already seen what their version of the game would look like. Remember AFLX - that abomination ?

If people that matter don't stand up and speak out then AFLX or a similar monstrosity will be the end game.

Imagine this, as the stand rule trickles down the levels of the game, coaches will be teaching kids that they can't guard the mark, they can't apply any pressure, they have to stand there like a statue as oppo kids run around them. WTAF. It's a terrible development that in conjunction with the other recent changes goes against everything competitive footy is all about. Stand there so the other bloke can run around you. * off.

One by one the unique skills of the game are being eroded, deleted and made irrelevant...and not for the better.

As has been said by nearly everyone, all the stand rule has achieved is a drop in scoring, a bad look for the game and increased flooding in the backline.

It's a joke and the joke is on us.

#Stand-down

Last edited:
The fundamental theme of footy is freedom. Every player can go everywhere, everyone can take a mark, kick a goal etc. This isn't American football where only 2 guys actually touch the ball.

The sHocking rule changes have been primarily about restriction. Ruck nomination, 666, interchange restrictions, and the dreaded Stand rule. I've probably missed a few here too. Why he was able to introduce rule changes that directly contradict the primary aspect of our game is beyond me.

I think all of the recent rule changes need to be thoroughly evaluated to make sure that the game is still about freedom.

Also good on Benny for calling that sh*t rule out. Something is rotten at AFLHQ.

STAND

Uniquely Australian sport...
It helped to define us as a Nation...
Use to be the holden, CUB, IMT, Countdown, HHit'sSaturday, music bands have that aussie flavour...now let's just stuff it all up..now it's left to the old fellas to rant about the good old days..
The AFL want to Americanise everything … you can bet ya nackers in the next few years they will introduce the wild card game for a spot in the finals … complete f##kwits that they are …. It’s already been talked about … I’m having a kick the AFL DAY 😂😂

High pressure surge football.

The Bulldogs started it.

Richmond refined, perfected and turbo charged it.

Melbourne have copied it.

Surge football has been instrumental in breaking three of the longest premiership droughts we have seen. For some reason the AFL hates it.

If anything surge footy breaks congestion apart. These rule changes, particularly the stand rule are ill thought out, done for the wrong reasons and have changed the structure, history and integrity of the game.

Well done Benny for calling it out.

Shocking's time in the role has been the most obvious case of changing the game for personal benefit I've seen in 50 years of playing and watching. It's so clear cut, it's not even a conspiracy theory. This was pulling the teeth of the Tigers.

The question is why ?

The AFL are there to service the game, not run football like a cabal, something they seem to have forgotten. They're there for the game, not the other way around. Ch7 should also have zero say in how the game is played. Zero. We've already seen what their version of the game would look like. Remember AFLX - that abomination ?

If people that matter don't stand up and speak out then AFLX or a similar monstrosity will be the end game.

Imagine this, as the stand rule trickles down the levels of the game, coaches will be teaching kids that they can't guard the mark, they can't apply any pressure, they have to stand there like a statue as oppo kids runs around them. WTAF. It goes against everything competitive footy is about.

One by one the unique skills of the game are being eroded, deleted and made irrelevant...and not for the better.

As has been said by nearly everyone, all the stand rule has achieved is a drop in scoring, a bad look for the game and increased flooding in the backline.

It's a joke and the joke is on us.

#Stand-down
great post

The media especially early on in the season were saying how great the rule change was and that it was the return of the key marking leading forwards. I'd like to have seen the stats that confirmed or denied this nonsense. IMO goals kicked by key forwards in 2021 would have been similar to goals kicked in 2019. Instead it just comes across as a whinge and an excuse as to why we failed which I honestly believe was not Gale's intention.

I thought the way he spoke about it was wrong. Shouldn't have included Lynch, should have just said key forwards in the comp instead, then used the stats to back up what he was saying. Our club needs to be a bit smarter than that.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back