List Mgmt. Morning, Joe! (was The Daniher (Probably Mega-)thread)

Remove this Banner Ad

If Essendon was easy to deal with you think we do a side trade
So bombers get compo
Then we swap a player and 64
for 69-70

Bombers end up with 20, player and 64
for 69-70
Only if we have a player who wants out.
If we did a side deal of 16 and player plus there compo I say the AFL not be happy

The whole free agency was so players can move clubs.
The club loosing them always gets a raw deal.
Only time you get maybe overs is if they have a contract now

Not sure I give 2 firsts and a player for Daniher.. He played not many games last few years
His value is sliding now.. Last year they got offered 2 firsts.. Their fault he worth less now.
Honestly you can match the trade and keep a player another year who does not want to be there.
Morale looks high at the bombers now so nothing to worry about there :)
He be worth a late first now only on form and injury. maybe later exactly what the compo will be.

The AFL would veto that as it clearly favours one team.

Thinking some kind of sideways trade might happen seperately, or linked in with the Saad or Caldwell trades. Not 3 way trades, but just linked. There are always some trades that seem to favour 1 team, so i think the AFL might allow a bit more give with this.

Either way, i think it is pretty silly to let a pick around 20 go begging. Clearly should be acquired and then a seperate trade be done to help facilitate other movements. If it was any other club i would be very confident of something like this being worked on pretty easily, but Dodo doesn't make any sense at the trade table at all. The 1 hiccup with this is that you only have 3 days to match the FA bid. A trade won't get done in that time, so they will need to work out some details pretty quickly before hand.

Per Sam Edmund on SEN - The bombers will match and won’t do trade with us unless they get a top 10 pick, and a sweetener such as a pick swap.

Lets pretend this is serious and not just posturing. I actually don’t know how we could end up with a top 10 pick. I know Carlton will look to split pick 7 and trade one later first for Saad, but that would just annoy the bombers if we did the splitting for the blues. Other than that, who in the top 10 will trade? The dogs will trade out pick 12 but sounds like that would be too late fir Essendon.

It is very silly stuff if you assume they aren’t posturing. A top 10 pick for a player who has played 15 games in three years? Yikes.

Let him walk then.

I'd be pissed off from a Lions perspective if Ess don't match and expect a top 10 pick.
As I mentioned on the Bombers board recently (with a lot of positives comments) that Ess should accept the 'free' compensation pick (approx 20) and then use this in a side deal with the Lions to move up the draft and/or pick up a player.
I'm assuming that this is what the discussion between the two clubs are about.

As with the comment from
Sam Edmund on SEN - The bombers will match and won’t do trade with us unless they get a top 10 pick, and a sweetener such as a pick swap. How does that actually work?
Dons: We want a Top 10 pick and a sweetener or no trade
Lions: We don't have a top 10 pick and if we did we're not trading it
Dons: So no trade AND they let Daniher walk out the door for nothing

At the same time Ess dealing with GWS
GWS: We want a top 10 pick for a player that was pick 11 and has been in the system for 2 years and you're prepared to offer 2.75mil over 5 years.
Dons: Second Rounder at best or no deal - we will just pick him up in the PSD.

Last edited:
Dunkley has asked to be traded to the Bombers. Can see why they want a top 10 pick from us
Josh Dunkley straight swap for Zach Merrett, Daniher to the Lions for the AFL compensation, easy peasy.

Jesus, that's big for the Bombers.

That said, it doesn't change our situation.

It doesn't change our position, but it probably changes theirs a little. On one hand they can try to dig their heels in & demand a top 10 pick for him. But now they have other big deals they have to get over the line, not getting anything for him isn't an option.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure Dunkley adds much for them. Just desperate to save face

They need to fix their toxic f’ed culture before they worry about bringing in elite talent.

Recent big fish have done little or nothing to improve their chances. Stringer Shiel Smith etc One is now out the door to Carlton. Bombers would be better off loading up on picks and building from the ground up

If they want that, just let him walk to the ND and pic him up with number 17/18.DOubt anyone would take the risk to use a draft pick on him without medical or interview. Or to the PSD and put a huge front-ended salary on him so noone takes him like what Carlton did
The only one that would take the risk is Essendon with pick 6 in the ND.
That's what they think he is worth so they should be okay paying with a top ten pick. ;)

The trouble with Essendon is that they are appear to be that unhinged they probably would draft him with their first pick.
Wouldn't be surprised if they upgraded to a better pick🤦‍♂️

The trouble with Essendon is that they are appear to be that unhinged they probably would draft him with their first pick.
Wouldn't be surprised if they upgraded to a better pick🤦‍♂️

Zero chance. Losing a player (who wants out) for nothing is one thing. Actually giving up a high pick to force him to stay on your list is a level of self-ownage that even Dodoro wouldn’t stoop to.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back