The downfall of Fox Footy.

Remove this Banner Ad

The majority of FoxFooty commentators deserve the bollocking they often receive.

With that, it's only fair to praise the rare moments.

Adam Papalia, Will Schofield and Matthew Pavlich....

Their call of Harley Reid's goal was SENSATIONAL - exactly what a commentary team should do when there is a moment for the ages.

Brilliant call of the goal itself, then allowed the vision and sounds at the ground to take over until the replays started.

Made it all about Harley Reid and not themselves.

PERFECT.

Don't understand why they only use Papalia for Perth games.
If dimwit Derrrrrrrrrrwayne can call an interstate game off the tele from the Sth Melb studio why cannot Papalia do the same from Perth??

Perhaps Papalia is to pro to call games off the tele unlike Derrrrrrrrwayne who jacks himself off to the sound of his own voice.

Don't understand why they only use Papalia for Perth games.
If dimwit Derrrrrrrrrrwayne can call an interstate game off the tele from the Sth Melb studio why cannot Papalia do the same from Perth??

Perhaps Papalia is to pro to call games off the tele unlike Derrrrrrrrwayne who jacks himself off to the sound of his own voice.

And we all just know that DerWayne would have absolutely ruined the call of Reid's goal and inserted some Americanism or creepiness.

For those commentating on how Derwayne would have stuffed up the call of Reid's goal, Fox played Motlop's goal in the Showdown in the last minute of play that saw Port win 95-90.

If you ever get to see the replay, listen to how Huddo made it all about himself. Totally screwed it up with his inane 'listen to me' non-stop garbage. A definite advertisement for being able to have crowd effects only (or choose your own commentary).

For those commentating on how Derwayne would have stuffed up the call of Reid's goal, Fox played Motlop's goal in the Showdown in the last minute of play that saw Port win 95-90.

If you ever get to see the replay, listen to how Huddo made it all about himself. Totally screwed it up with his inane 'listen to me' non-stop garbage. A definite advertisement for being able to have crowd effects only (or choose your own commentary).

Not sure how Huddo gobbling up the attention makes Dwayno any less of a goblin?

I hate Huddo's commentary and puke in my mouth everytime they replay Buddy's 13 highlight but that doesnt magically make Dwayne ok.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's a reason Adam papalia and Matt Hill are revered as good callers, because they call it as they see it, they let the play speak for itself and only add to it, they make no effort or intention to insert themselves. The highlight is the play not the commentary.

"Put your brain into gear and if you can add to what's on the screen then do it, otherwise shut up.”

Richie Benaud.

Take note commentators of today, except for Hill and Papalia.

It used to be great. The Winners with Flares - old episodes of the Winners so you could watch old obscure games from the VFL. Grumpy Old Men was a lot of fun. They used to have the one hour wrap up of the round - all the highlights in the one place. I was hoping they'd expand that sort of stuff - old WAFL, SANFL and VFL games. Highlight packages from the secondary leagues. etc

Now it's just endless replays of the whole round and as that tweet so beautifully points out, 10 different shows with the same people ad nauseam.
The AFL have a whole back catalogue and archive of matches, but they're not even available to the public. Not even on their own Football channel, it's mindboggling. Even Channel 7 use to show replays of old football matches.

When Ch 9 showed footy for the first time back in 2002, I remember how they would switch to the opposite wing when set shots could be better viewed from there; it was a genuine innovation and improvement for TV viewers.

Have Fox or 7 improved the watching of footy in the past decade in any notable way? None that I can think of.

TV coverage has stagnated badly in recent years and I think it's hurting people's enjoyment of the game. It still feels like they're in 2007 mode with their coverage.
Channel 9 had easily the best production I've seen in broadcast AFL. They'd get a lot of good close up shots, and sounds from the ground to give it a more immersive experience.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back