The Farce that is the free kick differential number

Remove this Banner Ad

Y

You just said there was no correlation between free kicks and success. In other words, free kicks have no bearing on the result. I happen to agree.

Hawthorn were known for their 'unsociable' football, yet were very successful. Their style of play determined the free kick differential.

You can easily quote my post instead of dishonestly changing the wording. Byeeee

Its almost like the Eagles invest in drafting and developing quality tall marking players and then employ and develop a kick mark game style that tends to give away less frees and attract frees for.

Eagles seem to employ a corraling defense instead of manic pressure to force high, long kicks from opponents and employ a defense that is very good at intercept marking. Barrass, McGovern, Hurn, Rotham, Sheppard and Duggan all very good marks.

And guess what. That all helps in getting frees and not giving them away.

But those facts dont suit people with tin foil hats and agendas to run.
Game plan to suit the list.
Most clubs dont have Dusty or a Danger so need to play to their own strengths.

I work on the theory that home ground advantage is the umpiring advantage that the home crowds exert through subtle psychological pressure on the umps.

It is most noticeable in places where the home team get big noisy crowds who vastly outnumber the away fans on the day.

2017-current
Richmond at MCG: 1028 for, 1160 against
Richmond at MCG v non-Victorian clubs: 319 for, 330 against

Are we not big enough, or not noisy enough?

In 2016 we won the free kick count in 11 games and lost it in 11 games. We finished 13th and we were crap.

In the next 4 years we have finished on the wrong side of the free kick ledger on 65 occasions and the plus side 29 (one game even) - and we've been the best team in the comp.

I'm happy.

Yes, most sides get more frees at home and less away and it more or less balances out. Some sides do better than others though.

One side has a glaringly high home free kick differential. It has nothing to do with game style, because it is the all time figure. Can you guess which side it is?

The thing about all time figures though, is you always have them. If you took the team with the current all time lead out, you would still have a new all time lead. And ditto, take that team out, you still have an all time lead. Are they all the beneficiary of bias?

On moto g(6) plus using BigFooty.com mobile app

The thing I always find amusing about the line that Richmond is on the bad side of the ledger because they break the rules more is the number of frees we receive.

Richmond being a rule breaking side would mean we give away more frees, but it shouldn't change how many we receive...After all, the way the other team plays wont have changed that much.

Yet our opponents give away far fewer when they play us.

Do they miraculously start playing significantly more fairly when they face Richmond?

Can't blame the players. The tactics come from the top. Dimma encourages it. Probably mandates it in fact.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They mattered in the closing stages the other night.
The free kicks in the last quarter on Sunday were west coast 10 Richmond 9

In a quarter where west coast dominated possession, contested possession, clearances and field possession you did pretty well from the umps .

The fact that the quarter was played mainly in our half of the ground takes away any 'its where they are payed ' arguments.

Its clear you game style of being overly physical to players without the ball leads to a lot of free kicks against.

Constantly pushing players off the ball , under the ball , wrapping players up before they take possession, chopping arms to bring the ball to ground and so many bloody throws.

The free kicks in the last quarter on Sunday were west coast 10 Richmond 9

In a quarter where west coast dominated possession, contested possession, clearances and field possession you did pretty well from the umps .

The fact that the quarter was played mainly in our half of the ground takes away any 'its where they are payed ' arguments.

Its clear you game style of being overly physical to players without the ball leads to a lot of free kicks against.

Constantly pushing players off the ball , under the ball , wrapping players up before they take possession, chopping arms to bring the ball to ground and so many bloody throws.

I was magnanimous in defeat and didn't want to start on this. But since you insist...

- Richmond player pinged in the middle with the ball knocked out of his hands a split-second after taking possession
- Grimes pinged for "throw" that was clearly a handball. The umpire concerned (Roseberry) actually spoke during the week and said that a handball where glancing contact is made with the fist is a legitimate handball. Goal
- "Dangerous tackle" free to Allen. GAGF campaigners. Goal
- Ryan 10m pass to Kennedy with the ball clearly touching the ground while Kennedy slides. Would not have been given out under cricket DRS. Goal
- Bolton blatantly held out of the contest while Hurn marks Martin's final kick to goal square

I'll say again, West Coast deserved their win. But it was assisted by us getting royally ****ed over.

As for "overtly physical", we're a team of *en short people!

We've been pretty good about it for four years, but this year we're not as good and it's hurting us. You'd be speaking up in the same position.

Team
FF
FA
Diff
Western Bulldogs
239​
208​
+31​
Carlton​
262​
237​
+25​
GWS Giants
238​
215​
+23​
Adelaide
285​
265​
+20​
North Melbourne
249​
232​
+17​
West Coast
233​
218​
+15​
Essendon
229​
214​
+15​
Melbourne
270​
257​
+13​
Geelong
233​
225​
+8​
Fremantle
236​
241​
-5​
Brisbane Lions
243​
251​
-8​
Port Adelaide
235​
245​
-10​
Sydney
251​
263​
-12​
Hawthorn
219​
232​
-13​
Gold Coast
202​
217​
-15​
Collingwood
234​
250​
-16​
St Kilda
233​
251​
-18​
Richmond
208​
274​
-66​

Stark.

I was magnanimous in defeat and didn't want to start on this. But since you insist...

- Richmond player pinged in the middle with the ball knocked out of his hands a split-second after taking possession
- Grimes pinged for "throw" that was clearly a handball. The umpire concerned (Roseberry) actually spoke during the week and said that a handball where glancing contact is made with the fist is a legitimate handball. Goal
- Ryan 10m pass to Kennedy with the ball clearly touching the ground while Kennedy slides. Would not have been given out under cricket DRS. Goal
- Bolton blatantly held out of the contest while Hurn marks Martin's final kick to goal square

I'll say again, West Coast deserved their win. But it was assisted by us getting royally f’ed over.

As for "overtly physical", we're a team of fu**en short people!

The Richmond free against in the middle was a clear underhand tap up .

I'll give you the allen one it was soft but just as soft as the colman Jones 50m penalty

Grimes was a 2 handed shovel . Just because one hand is closed doesn't make it a handball

Bolton ran past the ball and cole did nothing but get his body between Bolton and hurn no holding at all .

The ryan kick went 14.5m as measured on afl 360 . Pretty bloody close . There were shorter kicks called marks for both teams .

What about picketts clear throw in our forward pocket with 5min to go .

As for being overly physical it doesn't matter how big your are its about pushing out and tackling when you are not allowed . You guys play on the edge of the rules and get pinged by the umps.

Its a simple concept really

Team
FF
FA
Diff
Western Bulldogs
239​
208​
+31​
Carlton​
262​
237​
+25​
GWS Giants
238​
215​
+23​
Adelaide
285​
265​
+20​
North Melbourne
249​
232​
+17​
West Coast
233​
218​
+15​
Essendon
229​
214​
+15​
Melbourne
270​
257​
+13​
Geelong
233​
225​
+8​
Fremantle
236​
241​
-5​
Brisbane Lions
243​
251​
-8​
Port Adelaide
235​
245​
-10​
Sydney
251​
263​
-12​
Hawthorn
219​
232​
-13​
Gold Coast
202​
217​
-15​
Collingwood
234​
250​
-16​
St Kilda
233​
251​
-18​
Richmond
208​
274​
-66​

Stark.
Just shows you are undisciplined. Your coach encourages it .

The crack down on throws and chopping the arms has made it worse for Richmond

I'll give you the allen one it was soft but just as soft as the colman Jones 50m penalty

A shocker. I LOL. The one we got for the night.

Richmond is not noticeably more physical than any other side. Our strategy is to avoid stoppages and keep the ball in free play as much as possible while encouraging the opposition to play the boundary. It is/has been based on superior positioning (which Hocking has attempted to subvert with various rule changes). The same infringements we are pinged for simply aren't paid as consistently to us.

A shocker. I LOL. The one we got for the night.
You got 9 frees in the last quarter 1 less than us .

West coast don't usually give away many free kicks as a team . We have been 18th for tackles for a decade. We corral and zone and force you to kick long over the zone where we usually have superior marking talls .

That is a big reason for our free kick difference.

Richmond on the other hand play a high intensity physical pressure game . Bringing numbers to the ball and bringing the ball to the ground where you swarm.
This is a big reason you give away free kicks .

You got 9 frees in the last quarter 1 less than us .

West coast don't usually give away many free kicks as a team . We have been 18th for tackles for a decade. We corral and zone and force you to kick long over the zone where we usually have superior marking talls .

That is a big reason for our free kick difference.

Richmond on the other hand play a high intensity physical pressure game . Bringing numbers to the ball and bringing the ball to the ground where you swarm.
This is a big reason you give away free kicks .

How many frees did Richmond get in three quarters of football?

I don't give a fat rat's clacker about West Coast's frees or this particular game in isolation.

Why should "numbers to the ball" lead to consistently lopsided free kick counts? Richmond has never been above mid-table for tackles. We do not seek stoppages. I don't think you know where you're going with this.

I'll say again, West Coast deserved their win. But it was assisted by us getting royally f’ed over.

As for "overtly physical", we're a team of fu**en short people!

We've been pretty good about it for four years, but this year we're not as good and it's hurting us. You'd be speaking up in the same position.

Some of your recollections are off
-Allen missed the shot on goal from the dangerous tackle. His goal came later on when Vlastuin I think it was, missed an easy kick coming out of the backline and hit Edwards outside the 50. Edwards hit Allen in space in the 50 in front of goal.
-Fox Footy measured the Ryan pass, it was 14.5m by their estimation at worst. Given the umps don't get the benefit of a measuring tape and only have a spot second to make a call a 50cm discrepancy should be acceptable. Kennedy clearly got his hands under it as well
-Cole one was mentioned, there was no hold it was just Bolton pleading for a free because they were behind and he knew there wasn't time left.

Only reason you got screwed over was your complete lack of composure when it mattered. Hurn had at least 3 intercept marks in the last off blind bombs into the 50 from Tigers players. Add in other plays like Vlastuins missed pass mentioned above and that cost you more than umpiring errors.

Only reason you got screwed over was your complete lack of composure when it mattered. Hurn had at least 3 intercept marks in the last off blind bombs into the 50 from Tigers players. Add in other plays like Vlastuins missed pass mentioned above and that cost you more than umpiring errors.

Another from the last quarter - Hurn with the ball at half forward, runs a wide arc while the umpire forgets to call play on. Richmond player stands still on the mark, Hurn hits a target in the pocket. Hocking's work in stark relief.

Yes we had our chances. And West Coast shot the lights out, even their points were on target and touched through.

The umpiring late still hurt, it often goes with the team with the momentum. But I wouldn't even say it was abnormally bad for a Richmond game.

Another from the last quarter - Hurn with the ball at half forward, runs a wide arc while the umpire forgets to call play on. Richmond player stands still on the mark, Hurn hits a target in the pocket. Hocking's work in stark relief.

Yes we had our chances. And West Coast shot the lights out, even their points were on target and touched through.

The umpiring late still hurt, but I wouldn't even say it was abnormally bad for a Richmond game.

You can nit pick stuff until the cows come home. Grimes also got away with a big shove in the back on Jones in front of goal with 30 seconds left.
20210615_230455.gif

Can only imagine the uproar if that rebound which lead to Dusty's bomb from outside 50 hadn't landed in Hurn's arms

You can nit pick stuff until the cows come home. Grimes also got away with a big shove in the back on Jones in front of goal with 30 seconds left.
View attachment 1156193

Can only imagine the uproar if that rebound which lead to Dusty's bomb from outside 50 hadn't landed in Hurn's arms

Yep we could go tit for tat all night, including CJ's unpaid mark 15m out in the second minute.

The umpires make many, many more mistakes than the AFL would have us believe.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back