FTA-TV The Footy Show 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Obviously this was a directive from Nine HQ to cross-promote the network's #1 rating show. The Footy Show's producers would have had no say in the decision. Plus there are no games to preview this weekend so they needed something to fill the show. Was a nice touch to have Billy Slater on before his 300th game for the Storm.

It was nice having Billy on.

However, I can't imagine the NRL Footy Show ever promoting a Sydney Swans' or GWS Giant's 300th game.

It was nice having Billy on.

However, I can't imagine the NRL Footy Show ever promoting a Sydney Swans' or GWS Giant's 300th game.

Well Sam and Ed are both mates with Billy and TBF he's one of the greatest of all time and he's been exclusively in Melbourne. Same with Cam Smith who's a massive hawks nuffy.

I switched on to both shows for a few minutes, then I remembered I don't care about AFL anymore. Maybe it's the overexposure during the off-season.

One of the shows also talked about how they got rid of on-field pre-game warm-ups this year, in favour of 'fan engagement'. So maybe that's why I don't care; they're preferencing gimmicks over the actual game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah it's because you're a bandwagoner. How many pet memberships have you let go since 2015? Been a while...

I made the same points when we were winning flags, and before then, so no. It's a game that's pretending to be what it was in the past. The tribalism for example no longer exists, the game itself has positions that don't have any relevance. Fans and the media are simply maintaining the charade, and inflating the actual importance of this competition for ratings, while the care factor seems to be lessened.

Geelong are probably a good example of how anachronistic the AFL comp is, with this one club allowed a private suburban ground and away games down the road. Also another reason why the competition isn't taken more seriously when cheating like this is allowed.

Every club has pet memberships by the way. Not sure why Hawthorn gets singled out.

Last edited:
F1 would be a protracted MotoGP, if it had two factors in its racing. 1) minimal aerodynamic grip (take the wings off), and 2) no mandatory pit stops (use a set of tyres for the whole race).

I lost interest when I realised the cars were performance capped. If they were allowed to go as fast as possible, then there's some reason to watch.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back