The future of Fallout games

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 21, 2004
AFL Club
GWS

Interesting video here.

Personally, being trapped isolated in a wasteland alone with just the sound of 30s music is a pretty heartening gaming experience. PLayed through all of 3, 4 and NV is probably my favorite game ever. FO 7ip6 indicated those days were gone. Now its about shops, monetisation, constant notifications on screen and online services.

Where do you want this to go next? Kill the series? Sell the license? Would Bethesda go back to a FO 3 type offline game, a new 76 type game that includes more story based focus with the online service thing as the base?

Bethesda will be busy with Starfield for a couple of years and then ES6 probably won't be out before 2025 which will keep them busy for a long time.

We'll probably be well into the next decade before any new Fallout games come.

I just want a Fallout that plays like Fallout.

In seriousness my only beef with FO4 (besides Preston...) was the lack of RPG depth of the previous games. I didn't mind the building (it could be avoided if you didn't like it), I liked the improvements to the gun play and the world and stuff was still very Fallout. Given Bethesda's current development backlog though I think they'll have to handball another Fallout game to somebody else.

Fallout 76 isn't the future of Fallout. It was a rush job to, one, test if multiplayer was workable, and two, to fill a hole in their release window with recently used assets. It was a straight up cash grab and stop gap, as FO5 could still be 5 more years away. It wasn't the main team and it wasn't Todd on the job. Go watch the documentary on noclip.

In saying that, I think the backlash against FO76 is great for the future of the series, it will keep certain "features" out of the next mainline games. Fingers crossed for New Vegas 2, with all the studios under the Microsoft umbrella.

I just want a Fallout that plays like Fallout.

In seriousness my only beef with FO4 (besides Preston...) was the lack of RPG depth of the previous games. I didn't mind the building (it could be avoided if you didn't like it), I liked the improvements to the gun play and the world and stuff was still very Fallout. Given Bethesda's current development backlog though I think they'll have to handball another Fallout game to somebody else.

FO4 was ******* awesome

My only gripe was the base building bullshit. Loved the rest

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Bethesda will be busy with Starfield for a couple of years and then ES6 probably won't be out before 2025 which will keep them busy for a long time.

We'll probably be well into the next decade before any new Fallout games come.

i reckon microsoft could and should just get one of their other RPG studios to use Bethesda's Starfield/ES6 engine to make a spinoff like New Vegas

no point leaving it for another 6 odd years or longer

Fallout isn't dead, FO76 isn't the next evolution of the series, just take a deep breath.

Bethesda have a fair bit on their plate right now, they're finalizing Starfield, they're working on TES6, FO76 is a a constant work in progress. They're not going to just kill off the series or dumb it down, the outrage would be well beyond anything CDPR dealt with over Cyberpunk. By the time TES6 comes out it would have been 12+ years since the original Skyrim release, which shows they're not in a great hurry to pump out titles like it's Assassins Creed or Far Cry.

FO76 is just a placeholder and essentially a public testing platform for multiplayer, people like to bang on about "the death of storyline/single player games" but I just don't see it happening with franchises like FO and TES.

FO4 was certainly a step back in terms of Fallout games, but a massive step forward in game mechanics, hopefully the next one will bring the story and RPG elements closer to 3 and NV levels. It was still a great game, it was wasn't at the same level as the previous two. My only concern about the series is that it will probably stay closer to FO4 as it's more accessible.

PS: I'm not going to bother clicking on that video in the OP, it's just some clickbaity BS from an idiot with a webcam trying to generate views.

i reckon microsoft could and should just get one of their other RPG studios to use Bethesda's Starfield/ES6 engine to make a spinoff like New Vegas

no point leaving it for another 6 odd years or longer

Well they could always get Obsidian to do it, the guys who did New Vegas. But that studio is busy with Avowed and Outer Worlds 2.

Loved Fallout 4. It cops way too much hate.

Enjoyed it but such a frustrating game. It crashed more times for me then any other game I ever played, even without mods. Bethesda got away with that kind of buggy bullshit in their games until 76 came along, because without the traditional single player features and world building and modders to fix their bugs, had nothing to fall back on.

Last edited:
Fallout 4 is a mixed experience for me.

On one hand, I've poured a lot of time into it. The proper DLC's (Farharbour in particular) were stellar, and the standard game is fun when you stop trying to play it as an RPG and instead try to play it as a Bethesda game; an exploration sim, with experiences scattered around the map for you to find. On the other hand, it dilutes the lore of the world a significant amount, it doesn't really provide a coherent experience, the main quest is a PLOTHOLE and a noose tied around the neck of any player that must be ignored if you want to enjoy the game (ie, play it as a Bethesda game) and the base building (even if you enjoy that sort of thing; I had fun with it) could be extremely frustrating due to bad clipping and area limits.

The concern for me with future Bethesda titles - to say nothing of Fallout games - is that each iteration simplifies the formula further. Morrowind>Oblivion>Skyrim was a simplification in terms of RPG mechanics, gameplay, and creativity in both genre and engine from each iteration to the next; you went from an outlandish desert/volcano with occasional extreme beauty and towns filled with strange and arcane cultural differences (with the differences between Balmora, Ebonheart, Vivec and Tel Fyr being a testament to the variety in location) with diverse questlines that had variety in how to complete them to a European setting with occasional lapses into a hellscape (whose variety was only saved by the Shivering Isles DLC, and while great a main game should not rely to that extent on a strong DLC to save it from monotony) to another European setting without much cultural difference between towns or dungeons - and, since Oblivion, these were dungeons as opposed to caves, temples, shrines, tombs; they were obviously gamified, compared to only partially so - and quests being so similar that there is only an inch between the radiant quests and an actual questline. Fallout 3>Fallout 4 is a similar progression, albeit one that plays a good deal better as a Bethesda game.

The difficulty is, where is there more simplification to be had without compromising the borderline RPG experience there already is, and how much can they continue simplifying without completely removing the suspension of disbelief that comes with 'playing' a story as opposed to watching or reading one?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When asked during a recent AMA how Bethesda were going to handle three franchises, Todd Howard responded by saying something like, 'Well, we're hiring'

They've expanded quite a bit since Fallout 4, adding 3 studios - Austin, Dallas and Quebec, to their main one in Maryland. I personally think the Austin team should expand and take on the Fallout IP and leave Starfield and Elder Scrolls to Maryland, with the other two playing supporting roles.

I am surprised Fallout 76 didn't follow ESO. At the time I figured we would get yearly DLC which came with new maps to travel to. A lot more customization etc etc.

They should be getting someone else to make the next Fallout for them.

i've played a gazillion hours on most fallouts but didn't venture near 76. in many ways i'd rather play fallout 1 or 2 than 4 - not to say i didn't enjoy it at times.

if you look at the trajectory of bethesda games and their streamlining between iterations, you might be a bit worried. but depending what they put out... i'll just avoid it if i want to, like 76. i have a pile of shame that could take me 10 years to complete.
4 had a fundamental shift in gameplay loop, which in many ways then makes sense to include settlements. you have to haul your s**t somewhere. i find it too heavy on the scrap collecting. i wonder if this is something they'll streamline next - stuff automatically ends up in your stash instead of having to cart it around. teleportation, or like NV drop boxes. overall it kind of bored me a bit.

the monumental uptake of social media in between versions of their games has helped them a lot. a good portion of fallout 4 is about impressing your 12 year old mates with your buildings. I can't see building ever being taken away for that reason.

some of the perks have always been geared toward casual/new fans of fallout, that made things a bit easier if you'd never played it. whereas seasoned pros could avoid lock-picking perks, extra ammo/caps, or you got good enough so that your next playthough you didn't waste points on them.

quests and character progession in bethesda games have become more simplified. running all over the map to get the top of all the guilds in morrowind is much different in skyrim. radiant ai can only add to the game so much.

in short... i'm not optimistic, would probably play depending on reviews (knew 76 wouldn't interest me), but not too worried if the game passes me by.

I wouldn't be upset if Fallout 3 was remastered.

In all honesty, NV and/or 3 (depending on who you ask) were the peak of Fallout. Nothing will ever top them. They will never be that good again. In hindsight I treated 4 too harshly. Solid game. Solid number three to NV & 3.

Unfortunately, no Fallout will reach those heights again.

If there's one gaming experience I'd want to relive again as if it were the first time, it's playing number 3. My first time playing that will never be matched by any other game.

I am surprised Fallout 76 didn't follow ESO. At the time I figured we would get yearly DLC which came with new maps to travel to. A lot more customization etc etc.

They should be getting someone else to make the next Fallout for them.

This was always my hope for 76. Fallout: World. Voice actors from the places portrayed. I'd love to see how the Chinese fared after the nuclear exchange.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back