• Extra great

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • Even greater than Essendon's winless finals streak

Votes: 17 41.5%
  • I just want milk that tastes like real milk

Votes: 10 24.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

It's time we show a bit of love to Gards. The guy had a lot of detractors early on and had to cop a heap of online abuse as well.
He's worked his absolute arse off and look at him now, a genuine contributor in an area of the ground we need one.

FRuutaLVEAAa3cm

All hail Golden-Fist Gardner! Crusher of Buddy Franklins!

He's even starting to take intercept marks this year, really pleasing to see for a guy who's had to earn his second chance at AFL the hard way.

Im always happy to take my lumps in here when I get a player wrong.

This is becoming one of those times. Prior to the season I was filled with dread at the idea that he was likely to play as one of our key defenders and voiced my opinion of what this would mean for our season if it came to pass. Then something weird started to happen early in the season when I found myself begrudging murmuring that he was starting to do the occasional things on the field that showed he belonged. In recent weeks Ive come around to be more than comfortable safe in the knowledge that he has competently been able to play the role of the cornerstone of our team defence whilst Keath has been sidelined.

Im getting a Joel Hamling vibe with him. A player who looked completely out of his depth until thrown into the deep end and told to swim.

He's one of the better stories to come out of what has thus far been a pretty middling season.

Good on him.

Biggest improvement imo has been as a viable option for teammates to pass to when kickstarting transition. Was avoided at all costs lasts year. Reflected in the uptick in his disposals and uncontested marks. Looking forward to having all of Keath, Gardner and O'Brien back there soon, hopefully.

Doing really well, lets hope he keeps improving. Randomly I remember the Herald Sun every Monday growing up having the latest stats leaders including shepherd leaders! Leon Cameron lead the league once.

It's time we show a bit of love to Gards. The guy had a lot of detractors early on and had to cop a heap of online abuse as well.
He's worked his absolute arse off and look at him now, a genuine contributor in an area of the ground we need one.

FRuutaLVEAAa3cm

All hail Golden-Fist Gardner! Crusher of Buddy Franklins!

He's even starting to take intercept marks this year, really pleasing to see for a guy who's had to earn his second chance at AFL the hard way.

Not only is he in the top 5 for spoils, of those in the top 5 he is ranked 1st for spoil efficiency...

70.9% - RYAN GARDNER
70.7% - J. Weitering
67.3% - S. Collins
64.7% - S. Taylor
53.5% - D. Howard

Spoil efficiency is defined as...
The percentage of spoils that end up in a teammate's possession or a stoppage (killing the play).

He's really coming into his own this season and is even taking some marks in defence, I still don't like him switching the ball but he's also not trying to bite off more than he can chew when kicking it..
Not just taking the down the line option all the time either. As he develops his confidence I think his disposal can be solid to good

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gardner is the second coming of Granty when he played CHB. :rolleyes:

But I did say last year he will come good. Good work by Bevo (the worst coach last week, the best coach on Sunday!)

A bit of Jake Carlisle early days is what Gardy reminded me of. Thin, long and quick. Often got towelled up but you could tell they’d be a solid player.

He’s developing well now. Bev said a lot that his disposal at training was of a really high standard and now he’s not actively shitting his dacks when he gets the ball on game day, he’s using it okay. Good to see him taking a few marks, too.

A bit of Jake Carlisle early days is what Gardy reminded me of. Thin, long and quick. Often got towelled up but you could tell they’d be a solid player.
TBH I though Dougal Howard was a better comparison - less about intercept marks but just manages to get a spoil in when he's out of position.

Really good closing speed and by all accounts he's in the Matty Boyd/Dale Morris category of trainer.

I said early on in the piece that he had all the traits of a solid key back athletically, with a fantastic closing speed and a great leap. His awareness was really bad in those first few games, a bit similar to Bailey Williams. It's still not great, but it's AFL standard at least, and I love the fact that he actually wants to get involved in link-up plays, whereas he genuinely looked like he was trying to avoid being an option, and the team actively avoided kicking to him. He's a solid kick, but does seem to be a confidence player of sorts.

Gardy is definitely the player I most want to succeed. The amount of flack he copped on here and in the media was ridiculous for a key back under 10 games (at the time). Looks to be a 150 gamer with us, which is unbelievable when you consider he was a mid-season draftee and the quality (or lack thereof) in his first few games.

Im always happy to take my lumps in here when I get a player wrong.

This is becoming one of those times. Prior to the season I was filled with dread at the idea that he was likely to play as one of our key defenders and voiced my opinion of what this would mean for our season if it came to pass. Then something weird started to happen early in the season when I found myself begrudging murmuring that he was starting to do the occasional things on the field that showed he belonged. In recent weeks Ive come around to be more than comfortable safe in the knowledge that he has competently been able to play the role of the cornerstone of our team defence whilst Keath has been sidelined.

Im getting a Joel Hamling vibe with him. A player who looked completely out of his depth until thrown into the deep end and told to swim.

He's one of the better stories to come out of what has thus far been a pretty middling season.

Good on him.
Most of us were wrong on this one. For every 5-10 Gowers, Hayes, Honeychurch, etc. you get yourself a Gardy.

I always said Gards didn't have much but as an overall defender in our side he played his role well and has grown even more into it. He spoils well and doesn't get beaten as much as initially made out. Finally the Zaine and Gards debate is over

Delighted to put my hand up and say I was wrong. I could not see why we were getting games into someone who looked a nervous wreck with very little ability beyond some athleticism.

Not to get carried away but he is now a good, reliable player who I have confidence in. His spoiling is terrific and he deserves credit for getting to contests where he is not favourite. He could mark it more, but that’s improving. I also give defenders much more leeway in this department. If you’re not confident you can mark it then the fist is fine with me.

The greatest surprise, for me, is his kicking. He doesn’t bite off anything risky but takes on safe kicks with confidence. I’m now very comfortable with him kicking it around at the back. I didn’t think I’d be saying that.

Credit to him for the work he’s put in. Seems like a good guy too which is always welcome.

The big thing now is confidence. Needs to show he can handle the big games and that seems to have been behind his dropping for the GF last year. He certainly looks more confident and that he feels like he belongs at the level.

Back