Scandal The goal umpire called play on after this shot from David Zaharakis

(Log in to remove this ad.)

dumb

i shit blue
Jul 12, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
Carlton
Interesting that the AFL twitter points this out. Is their media department throwing the umpire under the bus for entertainment purposes? Or the higher-ups? Is this the AFL's way of showing fans they understand their umpiring criticisms, is this their 'green maggot' euphemism? I don't understand this approach.

Stepover

Senior List
Oct 2, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Heard on radio tonight that this goal was the final leg of a 7 bet multi..... cost the tipper $12.5K on a $5 bet.

Correction- 5 leg multi.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

RedBullRacing

Senior List
Aug 30, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Here's what I don't get. They introduce cameras to improve the accuracy of decisions, and to reduce the howlers, but they haven't provided the right technology to do so. I've said it a million times. The lens distortion AND the angle between the camera in the middle of the post to the outside of the post where the ball crosses makes it absolutely impossible to adjudicate.

They need a calibrated high speed camera running precisely along the outer line of the goal post. There could be a small margin of error like the cricket that people would be satisfied with. Get rid of all other reviews.

HairyO

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Here's what I don't get. They introduce cameras to improve the accuracy of decisions, and to reduce the howlers, but they haven't provided the right technology to do so. I've said it a million times. The lens distortion AND the angle between the camera in the middle of the post to the outside of the post where the ball crosses makes it absolutely impossible to adjudicate.

They need a calibrated high speed camera running precisely along the outer line of the goal post. There could be a small margin of error like the cricket that people would be satisfied with. Get rid of all other reviews.
I reckon the predictor gets it wrong in cricket all the time.

Full line pitched at the toes and half the time it has the ball clearing the stumps.

Top Bottom