The greatest injustice in the afl since.....

Remove this Banner Ad

Cmon it wasn't the umps. We got a great run in the first half but plenty of blokes dropping sitters all around tbd ground was the biggest culprit. Clean hands were the difference on the night and don't forget freo had heaps more scoring shots too.
Well said sir.
Close games are always going to hurt and I don't blame you guys for feeling that way- but to blame a loss on ONE of many dubious decisions is a bit rich. Just because it happened late in the game doesn't make it any more important than decisions made earlier, plenty of which went Brisbane's way. They all add up.
A great contest though considering the outs for both teams, looking forward to the next time :thumbsu:

I thought that the umpiring in the last four minutes of the game was an absolute disgrace and I am still filthy about it the morning after.

I remember feeling gutted after that Roys game in Adelaide and this is the same. Anton McKernan was the umpire's name that night. I wonder if I will remember the peanuts from last night in 15 years time?

The Hill non holding the ball decision was unbelievable considering the amazing effort by the Lions player (Redden I think) to run him down.[/quote]
Agree entirely. I was watching the brave effort of the Brisbane team to hang in with 3 minutes to go. That HTB decision was the turner. If the free had been paid to Brisbane, as it should have been, the result would have been Brisbane for sure. To make it worse I had an all-up bet going at 48/1 to pick 6 winners...you guessed it!! If Brisbane win I collect.
The other thing that people overlooked was that stupid substitution rule brought in. Fancy havinmg a man sitting on the fence with a red jacket on because he was replaced earlier in the game and can't come back on with Brownie in hospital, Staker crippled and others injured!! Sooner they get rid of that the better.

Yep, for the first time in a long time i've watched a Brisbane home game (I live in Melbourne) without drinking and God knows had've I been drinking I would've been fired up about the final decision and forgotten about how good we got it in the first half because I reckon we got the rub of the green then.

The one thing I was critical of throughout the game was of our own skills with many chest marks plainly "rubbergutted" and then losing an easy possession to a clanger and that's what really cost us in the game.

I'd hope Vossy uses video footage of those simple clangers rather than wasting energy on complaining to Geisch in what would be a futile example. Having said that, our effort from such a young squad was inspiring and those basic skill errors were easily countered by how well the guys actually did. We were underdogs and we nearly pulled off a big upset against last year's finalist.

We did miss some easy kicks on goals, Clark, Black and Lester missed some easy ones, and we weren't super clean, but it doesn't change having 2 calls late in the game that lead to 2 goals to Freo. End of the day we lost, but it's not right when the loss is decided by umpiring decisions. Freo needed 2 goals to win, i doubt they would have got them without the the help of the umpires.

Well said sir.
Close games are always going to hurt and I don't blame you guys for feeling that way- but to blame a loss on ONE of many dubious decisions is a bit rich. Just because it happened late in the game doesn't make it any more important than decisions made earlier, plenty of which went Brisbane's way. They all add up.
A great contest though considering the outs for both teams, looking forward to the next time :thumbsu:

While kinda correct, you can't say that the non-HTB call didn't cost us the game. Many small things cost us the game. Black's miss from 30 out; the call against Hanley; McPharlin's clumsiness... the list goes on. Any of those things not occurring might have been enough the tip the scales.

For anyone to argue that it didn't make a difference is a tad spurious.

was the last free for after disposal down the ground OR spoiling too high

if the umpire paid it for spoiling that is a complete joke and a light on the game. soft free kicks are killing the game. its almost at the point where defenders have to let forwards mark it.

Makes no difference they killed us in the last quarter and were on a role it's like saying Collingwood won the 02 flag.Rocca booted a goal which would have gave them momentum and they probably would have went on to win it if the goal umpire called it correctly..

Makes no difference they killed us in the last qauter and were on a role it's like saying Collingwood won the 02 flag.Rocca booted a goal which would have gave them momentum and they probably would have went on to win it if the Goal umpire called it correctly..

Mate, seriously. You make no sense.

Makes no difference they killed us in the last quarter and were on a role it's like saying Collingwood won the 02 flag.

Rocca booted a goal which would have gave them momentum and they probably would have went on to win it if the goal umpire called it correctly.

How can you not understand that I never meet a bigger bunch of whiners in my life it's the same crap every time.

How can you not understand that I never meet a bigger bunch of whiners in my life it's the same crap every time.

You reckon you'd take the hint. No one cares for an opinion when you can't understand it. So what's the point of expressing it. As it was I had to read the above "sentence" 3 times to even begin to understand it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fitzroy was robbed in adelaide

**** you so much umpires, tony shaw, matthew campbell and andrew demitriou

Just to go back to the OP. In nearly 35 years of watching VFL/AFL footy, that was the worst DAYLIGHT ROBBERY that I have ever seen!

Fitzroy played their guts out that night, in windy, blustery, wet conditions. With just over a minute to go & about 9 points in front, we had the game in the bag....until THOSE men with whistles absolutely crucified us.

I was so angry that night, that I actually did damage my tv by throwing a hard object at it!

Saturday was pretty ordinary in the last few minutes, but really we gave away a couple of easy goals too with the runner & nobody has mentioned that costly dropped mark by Patfull in the goal square.

If Browny wasn't injured & took that shot, the result would have been different IMO.

So even the AFL has admitted it was a wrong call.

At the very least, that SHOULD put an end to deluded Freo fans trying to spin the situation otherwise now.

And that Black handball decision against Nth probably cost us that game last year too. I just think that every side gets these decisions now & again.

WCE supporter's will argue that Browny's mark should not have been paid last year.

That was a very ordinary non-decision against Hill, but TBH the easy goals we gifted Freo ie with the runner & Patfull's dropped mark riled me more.

That's Footy and I am sure at some stage it will even out.

MBE, Rocca did not kick a goal in the 2002 grand final. It was a point. Fair dinkum, I'm sick of hearing pie supporters peddle this garbage without you starting.

There you go TGL. From where I was sitting, I would say without doubt in my mind that Rocca did kick the goal. It was close!

That's Footy and I am sure at some stage it will even out.

MBE, Rocca did not kick a goal in the 2002 grand final. It was a point. Fair dinkum, I'm sick of hearing pie supporters peddle this garbage without you starting.

Fremantle could say the same thing don't matter what they say Monday morning. I was using it as a example by the way cause of the whining over one decision maybe we got some on the night that we shouldn't have too.
:footy: People take it to far in the end win lose or draw it's just a game to make money.

Well, here's the really sad part....

The umpire who couldn't see the obvious HTB against Hill from a range of 5 meters was (I'm pretty sure) the same umpire who paid the "contact" free against Hanley from a range of 45 meters, based on nothing other than suspicion or a "hunch"

One might come to the conclusion that the umpires are so preoccupied with finding free kicks based on the latest technical fad, that they are totally brain dead to the bleeding obvious.

Whatever, we were robbed.....and it seems that even the Geisch agrees

It's taken me a few days to get over the gloom of browns injury.

Throughout that game i was thrilled. To see those young players stand up like that was awesome. So much talent. I don't follow s**t as much as half the guys who post on here but now I can see why some of you were so optimistic. Really good to see our future in motion. Some of these first gamers put in better efforts and showed more natural ability than many of our 50 gamers from recent years.

We were definitely robbed 4 points by the maggots. If that free had been paid I'm fairly certain we would have held on by the skin of our teeth and came home with the bickies. What can you do though. Aside from bringing it to Geishens attention I mean.

On another note I just want to say to the Mods that i am not impressed by the group bullying that goes on here towards one particular (possibly dyslexic) individual. It's upsetting to see it overlooked so frequently. Everytime it happens I think I'll say something, then hope it will be the last time. I'm sure I read something in the rules that made it not okay to make dirrect attacks at other members. Shame. To the culprits, Leave the guy alone. Some of you are behaving like elitist Carlton spoonfed shitheels. If u can't read it then ignore it. Grow up, this ain't the Grammar School mess hall.

Just to go back to the OP. In nearly 35 years of watching VFL/AFL footy, that was the worst DAYLIGHT ROBBERY that I have ever seen!

Fitzroy played their guts out that night, in windy, blustery, wet conditions. With just over a minute to go & about 9 points in front, we had the game in the bag....until THOSE men with whistles absolutely crucified us.

I was so angry that night, that I actually did damage my tv by throwing a hard object at it!

Saturday was pretty ordinary in the last few minutes, but really we gave away a couple of easy goals too with the runner & nobody has mentioned that costly dropped mark by Patfull in the goal square.

If Browny wasn't injured & took that shot, the result would have been different IMO.

Daylight? I distinctly remember that being a night game? :cool:

I also remember my sister ringing me in tears as the wins were very far and in between those days. Coincidentally in the first few years the lions never lost a Melbourne match to the crows until Roosy left.

Your point is valid regarding the dropped catch. As much as I hate to say it about my golden child, Patfull's drop was extremely costly but if you watch the game back you will find plenty of dropped chest marks by our guys and the genuine basic skill errors were what let us down, not that one umpiring debacle, not that I want to defend that white scum!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back