The Hip Hop Thread - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 10, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
LA Clippers
Not seen him (was too lazy to see him at Coachella in 2012 :'() but I’ve had friends say he isn’t amazing live and generally I find hip hop doesn’t translate that well in concert.
His tour in 2016 for TPAB was fantastic. Had a live band playing all of the jazzy stuff from that album, was a great night out.

In comparison, his 2018 tour for DAMN was a bit more of a stock standard concert for a rap artist.

Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Turtles, NYJets, Celtics, Tottenham
Tossing up whether to get tickets for Kendrick - I've listened to his new album once through but it didn't really grab me like GKMC or TPAB did and doesn't have standout tracks like DAMN.

Plus I've been to hip hop concerts before and it hasn't been great (notably Snoop Dogg at Rod Laver).

Apr 29, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Tossing up whether to get tickets for Kendrick - I've listened to his new album once through but it didn't really grab me like GKMC or TPAB did and doesn't have standout tracks like DAMN.

Plus I've been to hip hop concerts before and it hasn't been great (notably Snoop Dogg at Rod Laver).
Mr Morale & The Big Steppers is the kind of album you listen to alone in an arm chair with a scotch (or in a car alone with an open beverage, if you want a more relatable experience), I can't imagine it's going to be the most spectacular live performance - could be it translates into more of a best hits program.

Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Turtles, NYJets, Celtics, Tottenham
Mr Morale & The Big Steppers is the kind of album you listen to alone in an arm chair with a scotch (or in a car alone with an open beverage, if you want a more relatable experience), I can't imagine it's going to be the most spectacular live performance - could be it translates into more of a best hits program.
Yeah it's not the kind of album you can really dance around to - I'm sure it will grow on me, but the beats are much different to his earlier stuff.

Sky

Doctor Demise
Feb 14, 2021
NT
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Raptors, Storm, Chelsea
Love The Game but it doesn't end well for anyone who tries to go at Em s**t the last rapper who tried is now a punk rocker who wears pink
Honestly I still think that punk rocker in pink gave the best shot of anyone else at Eminem

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sky

Doctor Demise
Feb 14, 2021
NT
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Raptors, Storm, Chelsea
Not sure if anyones big on battling or King of the Dot but I’m devastated to hear my favourite, Pat Stay, has been killed

Mar 26, 2008
Fight Club
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
76ers, Storm, Broad St.
Never been more annoyed to have plans as I was when I heard JID being announced as a replacement for Listen Out the other day.

Just setting up every alert possible for a tour if he sticks around, but doubt it. Seems like this is the first time he's playing The Forever Story (which is probz my aoty) anywhere.

With the burgeoning drill scene, I'm finding myself more into the Australian hip-hop scene than I've ever been.

I was lucky enough to catch Lisi perform with the Queensland Symphonic Orchestra a few months back, and it was definitely one of the cooler gigs I've been to this year.

They're definitely not good humans and they're very hit and miss, but ONEFOUR's best songs only seem to grow on me with time.

This is probably my favourite song they've put out:

And here's a couple of young local up and comers that I'm pretty bullish on:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back