Universal Love The Jason Taylor Appreciation Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Watched the Max and Gus podcast this week coz they actually had someone on that I cared to listen to rather than the usual garbage you get from most of our list.

They named JT "The architect" like out of the Matrix, which I think is perfect.

Was interesting listen though, JT talking about the cut backs in staff due to covid, said we used to have 3 scouts in SA now we only have 1 etc

Didnt realise the amount of activity that had been in this thread the past three or four days, my previous post has already been discussed. :$

Watched the Max and Gus podcast this week coz they actually had someone on that I cared to listen to rather than the usual garbage you get from most of our list.

They named JT "The architect" like out of the Matrix, which I think is perfect.

Was interesting listen though, JT talking about the cut backs in staff due to covid, said we used to have 3 scouts in SA now we only have 1 etc

Yeah drafting would be a heap harder now, eventually I’m sure they’ll get those staff back but this year and next I’d imagine drafting would be more difficult than ever.

I remember that Hawks supporting ITK poster who knew our entire 2019 draft haul said similar things about cuts and how hard it is for the industry. Sucks to hear.

Pretty sick job though. Imagine getting paid to watch footy.

Who do you give the lions share of our flag credit to Nick? Ive heard you say you dont think Burgo was very important nor do you think JT... so who gets all ? Goody I suppose ? The only bloke left?

I remember that Hawks supporting ITK poster who knew our entire 2019 draft haul said similar things about cuts and how hard it is for the industry. Sucks to hear.

Pretty sick job though. Imagine getting paid to watch footy.

Yeah, looking back on things, I wish id done recruiting/scouting for a job, tried to get into the space at an earlier age, have always enjoyed draft time across multiple sports

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who do you give the lions share of our flag credit to Nick? Ive heard you say you dont think Burgo was very important nor do you think JT... so who gets all ? Goody I suppose ? The only bloke left?
It's not one thing mate, it was Paul Roos building a culture, Peter Jackson stabilizing the off field, Nathan Jones an Daniel Cross setting training standards, JT drafting guns with high picks, the players pact, Josh Mahoney trading in some guns, Goodwin ******* off Hogan and Watts etc etc.

Yeah, looking back on things, I wish id done recruiting/scouting for a job, tried to get into the space at an earlier age, have always enjoyed draft time across multiple sports

It'd be bloody hard though. Heaps of travel, often getting to watch a quarter or two of one game and whizzing off to another. Plus working weekends every weekend for about 40 weeks a year. Massive pressure to get your picks right ... it would be fun for the right person but also a huge grind.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

It's not one thing mate, it was Paul Roos building a culture, Peter Jackson stabilizing the off field, Nathan Jones an Daniel Cross setting training standards, JT drafting guns with high picks, the players pact, Josh Mahoney trading in some guns, Goodwin ******* off Hogan and Watts etc etc.

Yes, well said, but who in your eyes is most responsible? You dont have to give them a lions share, just a higher % than the rest... Id say JT.

And you can add Burgo to that aswell. I think if any of those cogs aren't working then the rest fail. If Roos and Jackson don't build a culture JT ain't drafting s**t, if Burgo doesn't have good players to work with his fitness means nothing. If we don't have Jones and Cross etc we draft guns who amount to nothing like Sylvia etc etc.

It'd be bloody hard though. Heaps of travel, often getting to watch a quarter or two of one game and whizzing off to another. Plus working weekends every weekend for about 40 weeks a year. Massive pressure to get your picks right ... it would be fun for the right person but also a huge grind.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I used to travel around the state fixing coffee machine each day when I was in my late 20's mate, would go to Mildura one day and be in Lakes Entrance two days after that.

If I could get by doing that I reckon I could have doing some scouting.

Yes, well said, but who in your eyes is most responsible? You dont have to give them a lions share, just a higher % than the rest... Id say JT.
I honestly couldn't tell you. I think they all lift each other up. If I had to take a stab I'd say the CEO or footy manager is the man. Look at the success that followed Neal Balme, more likely he built 3 gun clubs than 3 perfect coaches were picked or 3 star recruiters etc.

One thing I think people forget at how good our pick trading has been. We were able to turn one first rounder into two with only a tiny downgrade on multiple occassions. First team to exploit the points system and get the rules changed.

One thing I think people forget at how good our pick trading has been. We were able to turn one first rounder into two with only a tiny downgrade on multiple occassions. First team to exploit the points system and get the rules changed.
Did they get changed? I know that's how we got Oliver and Weid

Did they get changed? I know that's how we got Oliver and Weid
Yeah they tweaked it cause Northern clubs were just stacking picks in the 80's and above to get enough points to get their academy players. Not exactly sure what they are now but they made it less viable to trade out early picks for a bunch of late ones.

Yeah they tweaked it cause Northern clubs were just stacking picks in the 80's and above to get enough points to get their academy players. Not exactly sure what they are now but they made it less viable to trade out early picks for a bunch of late ones.
Ohhh I think it's like you have to use your first available pick that's why clubs trade out their first now if they have an academy kid.

Ohhh I think it's like you have to use your first available pick that's why clubs trade out their first now if they have an academy kid.
Yeah I think Gold coast had 3 and 7 and we had 10 and we traded them 10 a future first as well as a bunch of late picks. Northern clubs were keen to get better picks in future drafts while hoarding late picks to make up the points. I'm pretty sure they changed it so you could only go to the draft with as many picks as you had list positions to close the loophole.

I think they added the rule that you have to use a first round pick every 3 years so you couldn’t just keep future trading. We were definitely early adopters of trading our future firsts and splitting first round picks. Reckon it was largely Roos wanting to bring in as much same age talent as quick as possible to offload the deadwood ASAP.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back