Streaming The Last of Us (HBO)

Streaming Television

Remove this Banner Ad

concur, with my limited understanding of cordyceps. i thought the insect it infects eventually dies

It's pretty mental! When the fungus infects an ant it hijacks its brain. It makes the ant climb a long plant stem. It forces the ant to lock its mandibles around a leaf, then sends a long stalk through the ant’s head through which it uses to shower spores on other ants for the cycle to begin again.

This would happen over a short time span because an ant stuck atop a plant wouldn't be eating or drinking. It's not clear how humans zombified by cordyceps could survive for long periods.

Yep, I guess you could say the cure could be a key to a very slow process of reclamation rather than the flip of a switch.
I guess one thing they could do would be to clear whole sections of towns or even cities and know that worst case an infected might get in but won't spread it further. Remember how Tess got that welcome kiss by the fungus dude? No more of those shenanigans.
How would you even manufacture, distribute let alone mass produce and test a cure in such a world? I'd assume the cure would be some sort of vaccine type so you'll need to produce or find vile's, needles, syringes and possibly millions how they gonna do that when there is no industry or manpower? Even if you somehow manage to do that you than have the problem of distribution with the lack of fuel, transport, the broken roads and the infected to deal with and the where and who to whoever is left and in a lot of cases in this world we don't know who's left and where or could be trusted to not raid your ass! It's a virtually impossible venture to undertake in that world.

Last edited:

How would you even manufacture, distribute let alone mass produce and test a cure in such a world? I'd assume the cure would be some sort of vaccine type so you'll need to produce or find vile's and needles and possibly millions how they gonna do that when there is no industry or manpower? Even if you somehow manage to do that you than have the problem of distribution with the lack of fuel, transport, the broken roads and the infected to deal with and the where and who to whoever is left and in a lot of cases in this world we don't know who's left and where or could be trusted to not raid your ass! It's a virtually impossible venture to undertake in that world.
Yep, more solid points here.

I know that none of this stuff factors into Joel's decision-making, but the more you think about it the more its clearly not just a straight case of him throwing away mankind's salvation for 1 person he loves.

The billions of infected are zombies. As far as we know they are creatures of instinct. How long before they starve? Realistically we are looking at days or weeks, not the decades since the apocalypse.

Whereas the survivors form communities that can cooperate to defend themselves and farm for food.
If you're immune, why not eat the infected?

huh-cde534fafbd34197cb3ab665f81350f5-meme.jpeg

How would you even manufacture, distribute let alone mass produce and test a cure in such a world? I'd assume the cure would be some sort of vaccine type so you'll need to produce or find vile's, needles, syringes and possibly millions how they gonna do that when there is no industry or manpower? Even if you somehow manage to do that you than have the problem of distribution with the lack of fuel, transport, the broken roads and the infected to deal with and the where and who to whoever is left and in a lot of cases in this world we don't know who's left and where or could be trusted to not raid your ass! It's a virtually impossible venture to undertake in that world.
The first smallpox vaccine was over 200 years ago so it can be done without modern infrastructure.

If you can get a working vaccine, probably tested on themselves, you slowly start vaccinating where you can. Vaccinate a few towns like Jackson and you've got a good start on ensuring humanity could survive cordyceps. Then it's just whether other humans or zombies kill those that are immune.

The first smallpox vaccine was over 200 years ago so it can be done without modern infrastructure.

If you can get a working vaccine, probably tested on themselves, you slowly start vaccinating where you can. Vaccinate a few towns like Jackson and you've got a good start on ensuring humanity could survive cordyceps. Then it's just whether other humans or zombies kill those that are immune.

How would you test it through? You'll need someone to deliberately get bitten or ingest the cordyceps who'd want to volunteer for that?

How would you test it through? You'll need someone to deliberately get bitten or ingest the cordyceps who'd want to volunteer for that?

Why would you need to do that? Petri dish, uninfected human flesh, exposed to cordyceps, etc. Plenty of tests.

cordyceps isnt real. it's a hoax. Big pharmaceuticals are behind it. Bill gates is profiting from it, so is Bill Clinton. China are putting 5G chips in the cordyceps vaccine to spy on us. They are taking away our freedoms. Comminists!

cordyceps isnt real. it's a hoax. Big pharmaceuticals are behind it. Bill gates is profiting from it, so is Bill Clinton. China are putting 5G chips in the cordyceps vaccine to spy on us. They are taking away our freedoms. Comminists!
Its all an anti-baked goods conspiracy as well - someone is wanting to take down 'big flour'

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ended up having confusing thoughts about the season, which never really dipped in quality and occasionally hit on true greatness.

But there was a certain level of detachment I started feeling, having played the game, where the adaptation ran too similar to the source material. Not just from a plot-standpoint but the way certain scenes were framed, the locations, the set-pieces etc. I'm not sure what else I could have wanted, but unlike a book adaption where your seeing a world being created, the Last of Us video game already did the heavy-lifting.

Probably why I responded more to the parts of the show that were new - Bill and Frank, the expanded arc of Henry and Sam, even Ashley Johnson (that voice) as Ellie's mum.

But think I said from the jump that season 2 was always going to be more interesting from an adaptation standpoint because it's a far more complicated story, and one they probably couldn't just directly lift from the game.

I wondered if they would have done more retconning with the surgeon, given him more lines.

Still, a really well-made season of television. Just wish I could see it without having played it first...
Exactly how I felt.

Was good but as someone who has completely the game several times it was very much carbon copy sort of stuff.

The parts I enjoyed most were ones we didn’t really see in the game.

Also think the supposed strong relationship between Ellie and Joel was just implied rather than being demonstrated by the end.

In the game there was far more depth to their relationship leading up to Joel saving her.

Felt a bit rushed and short.

Bella says season 2 will most likely drop early 2025

Yeah, I saw that. Season 1 had around an 18 month turnaround, 11 months to film and then started airing about 7 months later. But Season 2 is splitting the second game, so maybe the filming/post-production will take significantly less time.

Great show, I thought it was a bit over hyped by the fanboys to start off with but I am on board now.
Loved the last ep especially - Fcuk the world, save your kid.
Toxic masculinity for the win.

Great show, I thought it was a bit over hyped by the fanboys to start off with but I am on board now.

You are in for a shock for season 2

Last edited:

Is that what toxic masculinity is?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back