The Lego Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

View attachment 1200584

Considering this as something a bit different to put on a side unit. Has anyone bought this one?

The flowers are far better value for money and it's a bit droll with only three identical flowers and mono-coloured leaves. I would only get it on special.

OK, so it's lockdown for a week in the nation's glorious capital. Guess I'll have to find more to rabbit on about in here :p.

Lucky my World Map arrived yesterday. That's going to take a lot longer than a week to finish, but should look good if I can convince the powers that be here to hang it somewhere ;).

The flowers are far better value for money and it's a bit droll with only three identical flowers and mono-coloured leaves. I would only get it on special.
Yep, the flowers are awesome, but perhaps not as interesting to build. They're also very hard to get at the moment :(

EDIT : Lego S@H has the flowers on backorder for delivery after August 23rd. First time I've seen them orderable for months.

OK, so it's lockdown for a week in the nation's glorious capital. Guess I'll have to find more to rabbit on about in here :p.

Lucky my World Map arrived yesterday. That's going to take a lot longer than a week to finish, but should look good if I can convince the powers that be here to hang it somewhere ;).
That does look interesting

iu

it would be good for plotting where you had been

iu

Yep, the flowers are awesome, but perhaps not as interesting to build. They're also very hard to get at the moment :(

i was at the Lego store last weekend here at they had quite a few in stock

Just googled the world map as I didn't know it existed. What an ugly set. Maybe it looks better in person? Keen to see any pics you take.

Just googled the world map as I didn't know it existed. What an ugly set. Maybe it looks better in person? Keen to see any pics you take.
Yeah I think that's a fair comment. I just wanted to try out one of the art sets and see if the experience (and the end result) is worth it. Also, I haven't owned the "Lego set with the most number of pieces" since the original Taj Mahal, so was keen to rectify this at a reasonable cost ;).

Agreed, I was intrigued by the concept at first until the actual set was revealed. There are plenty of different, superior versions on the Lego subreddit (a couple even use exactly the same bricks, so no need to order any more, but make it so much better). A rare disappointment from Lego.

Agreed, I was intrigued by the concept at first until the actual set was revealed. There are plenty of different, superior versions on the Lego subreddit (a couple even use exactly the same bricks, so no need to order any more, but make it so much better). A rare disappointment from Lego.
I've never used Reddit, could you possibly post pics or links to the ones using the official set please? Thank you.

I've never used Reddit, could you possibly post pics or links to the ones using the official set please? Thank you.

Sorry could not find it (maybe it never existed), but here is a custom one I like (which will set you back $800).

Not sure how useful this will be or if it conveys much, but here is what the map looks like with 10% of it completed. The area of this piece is 32x32 and it's the top left corner (most of North America). When finished it will have a raised white border around it - not sure how that will look but I guess it wouldn't be hard to change the colour.

map.jpg

The finished map is 4 of these wide (128 studs) and 2.5 deep (80 studs), so basically a tick over 10,000 studs to place. Not clear in the pic is that the white dots are studs, the coloured ones tiles, so the land does stand out.

I'm not sure how geographically accurate the depiction of ocean depths is (it is supposed to be representative of this) but I reckon this is quite colourful and might look OK on the wall.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

PS one innovation that is awesome, at least for those like me who are colour-blind, is that in the instructions the coloured dots are all numbered, so once you've got your bags similarly numbered it's a doddle. I was worried about this, which is why I haven't looked at any of the other Art sets.

A quarter of the map done - it's built in strips and the idea is you can use any one of the strips on the left hand side of the map to align it in the way you want - for example you can put Australia more centrally by putting the first strip at the right hand side of the map rather than the left.

Probably not very clear in the below but it really is quite vibrant. This is the left hand strip and is 80x32 studs

map.jpg

Checking it out, that is a good tip.
I'll probably find a funky 70s lamp first then pick up the flowers to put them in. Might get the Bird of Paradise set later anyway as I like the idea of a bit of weird greenery in the house too.

The Camp Nou (Barcelona FC stadium) set releases today (Sept 1). I guess Old Trafford must have done well enough for Lego to consider a second model in the theme. There is a cute GWP on offer at lego.com for purchasers of this set. As usual, I wouldn't expect this to last.

This year's Advent Calendars have also now launched(!) - there's a choice of City, Friends, Star Wars, Harry Potter and for the first time Marvel Avengers. $50 each but these will almost certainly appear soon at the majors for between $35 and $40. Might be a bit harder to find the Avengers one given the popularity of that theme.

Hogwarts Icons is coming tomorrow, that's generated a fair bit of interest. Not aware of any specific GWP with this one though unfortunately. $400 is steep for this but i'm not sure it'll appear anywhere cheaper, at least before Christmas.

The worst-kept Lego secret this year, the Technic Cat D11 Bulldozer (with 3854 pieces, a Control+ hub, four motors and a $750 price tag) has been announced with availability on 1 October. Also coming on 1 October is the new Marvel CMF series.

Ill get the potter icon but itll have to wait till around xmas.
Confident itll be about for the 400 still
Yeah I think this'll be a bit like Diagon Alley which still hasn't hit retail. It took the Hogwarts Castle which took a while to go on general release and even then discounts were limited.

I suspect the Icons set will sell out quickly and with current supply issues, who knows when we might see it restocked. Of course, if you have a physical store near you they may have some too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back