The Luke Jackson trade.

Remove this Banner Ad

Forget about Freo for a second but what a disaster this has been for Luke Jackson. He now plays less ruck then he did at Melbourne, and when he does play up forward he is playing in the most stagnant and slow forward line in the comp when previously his best bits of forward play for Melbourne always invovled him running up the ground at a HF and then running back into the forward 50 into space, something he can never do at Fremantle

He basically made a financial decision and not a football one. Eagles offered less terms then Freo but if he chose Eagles, he would be number 1 ruck not only for now but for the foreseeable future and wouldnt be getting drilled so hard in the media for sucking so badly when he is played out of position

No sympathy for the loser myself but he is proof that you cant just move to the club that offers the most money, you gotta move to the club who will still let you play football too

Forget about Freo for a second but what a disaster this has been for Luke Jackson. He now plays less ruck then he did at Melbourne, and when he does play up forward he is playing in the most stagnant and slow forward line in the comp when previously his best bits of forward play for Melbourne always invovled him running up the ground at a HF and then running back into the forward 50 into space, something he can never do at Fremantle

He basically made a financial decision and not a football one. Eagles offered less terms then Freo but if he chose Eagles, he would be number 1 ruck not only for now but for the foreseeable future and wouldnt be getting drilled so hard in the media for sucking so badly when he is played out of position

No sympathy for the loser myself but he is proof that you cant just move to the club that offers the most money, you gotta move to the club who will still let you play football too
The difference is that WC are a club that won’t stay down long, Fremantle will middle about and not go anywhere.

Hope it is a disaster for Freo and Jackson, but he was always a Freo boy so fairs, fair…….coming home wasn’t just a mercenary decision.

He should have waited a year or two before coming home. The worst part is Fremantle miss the 8 this year, and don't have a first round pick as it goes to melbourne. It could be as low as Pick 6 I think

Thank F WCE avoided this disaster. Or maybe by feigning interest, we drove his price up

Another Freo failure special.

He's on a mental heath train derailment to nowhere.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thank F WCE avoided this disaster. Or maybe by feigning interest, we drove his price up

Another Freo failure special.

He's on a mental heath train derailment to nowhere.

Absolutely no need to bring up/mention mental health into this.

The best part about Luke Jackson not living up to his contract is it should substantially cool the market for DeKoning.

Loser is bloody harsh. He's a kid. A nice kid too, but quite frankly one that doesn't have a lot going on upstairs.

I agree with everything else you said re: WCE being a much better fit for both on field position and off field lack of pressure, but I blame his parents (I mean his mum seems like she's still attached to him by the umbilical cord), his manager (who could have told him that he can easily get that money 2 years from now, with a ton less pressure), and Freo (who threw the kitchen sink at him without having the slightest idea what to do with him when they got him) - all of whom should have given him better advice or far more measured offers.

Those deals should only be thrown out for 23/24 yo men that have a B&F or AA or somesuch, not a kid that has a bunch of games and learning to do before he is ready to even try to realise the potential he had as a kid.

I wish Luke all the best. He is after all one of the team that won the only premiership I've ever seen, but I can't help but think he had no idea of the baggage his signature would bring.

Serious clubs would sort out a young bloke like that very easily. Stanley in his twilight, smart choice for Darcy.

Geelong have been developing their future ruck for a couple of years in the VFL already.

Conway will be our first choice ruck. He can't run out games just yet but his ruck work is sublime.
Stanley, Ceglar and Blicavs will be gone within the next 2 years so having a mature aged ruck like Darcy would be beneficial considering Conway will take a while to put it all together.

Geelong have been developing their future ruck for a couple of years in the VFL already.

Conway will be our first choice ruck. He can't run out games just yet but his ruck work is sublime.
Stanley, Ceglar and Blicavs will be gone within the next 2 years so having a mature aged ruck like Darcy would be beneficial considering Conway will take a while to put it all together.
Blicavs done you think? In two years?

Loser is bloody harsh. He's a kid. A nice kid too, but quite frankly one that doesn't have a lot going on upstairs.

I agree with everything else you said re: WCE being a much better fit for both on field position and off field lack of pressure, but I blame his parents (I mean his mum seems like she's still attached to him by the umbilical cord), his manager (who could have told him that he can easily get that money 2 years from now, with a ton less pressure), and Freo (who threw the kitchen sink at him without having the slightest idea what to do with him when they got him) - all of whom should have given him better advice or far more measured offers.

Those deals should only be thrown out for 23/24 yo men that have a B&F or AA or somesuch, not a kid that has a bunch of games and learning to do before he is ready to even try to realise the potential he had as a kid.

I wish Luke all the best. He is after all one of the team that won the only premiership I've ever seen, but I can't help but think he had no idea of the baggage his signature would bring.
This.

I mean the whole family thing is beyond pathetic. He is an adult whom needs to be making decisions a lot more sensibly. The only decent outcome is that he plays the no.1 ruck role every week and they shift Darcy. He has resting periods up forward.

It’s definitely a classic case of some form of hold WA has on him, but the betterment of his career wasn’t that well considered. WC would have been a better fit because they’re just an elite club, whereas Fremantle are a middling mess. We haven’t even discussed the pressure that will get heaped on him. It’ll be huge. A few players have gone back there and left again or not worked out. Hogan, McCarthy.

Hogan is twice as good at GWS than at Fremantle. My tip is that if it doesn’t work he will be gone in two years to another club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back