Toast The media....*Nods Head*

Remove this Banner Ad

What we need is Tredders back in the media. Seemed like the only true Port man who called it as he saw it without having to tow the line
season 13 GIF

I put a link to many of the big stories ABC's investigative journo Russell Jackson has dug deep and covered some big stories in footy and other sports. People have come to trust him, talk to him and he has dug up some dark secrets the last few years. He does a very good job with these.

But he also writes good general sports stories about the game with out the controversial stuff. I put up a link to 11 of his long form articles going back to his award winning Robbie Muir story in the General AFL thread. The link below starts with a link to his ABC page that has all his stories.

The ABC thought it timely to replay this interview with Mick Warner. Recorded in March 2022 it resonates even more loudly today.

Apologies if it's a clumsy link and/or it's been posted before

Last edited:

Big Stewie Dew on the Front Bar, I love him so much. I want him to have success with Gold Coast. I'd have him back tomorrow.
Spiro Malekellis, aka the Golden Greek, as well. Good Maggies premierhip player, along with his brother. Interviewed briefly by Fitzy.

Another interesting podcast from Warren Tredrea discussing betting and the AFL

Quite like listening to these as they don't toe the AFL line and get some interesting guests as well.

Another interesting podcast from Warren Tredrea discussing betting and the AFL

Quite like listening to these as they don't toe the AFL line and get some interesting guests as well.
The John Kosner podcast, the guy from NBA and ESPN, and other stuff, was brilliant. I'm sure they had to edit it down and probably could make 3 or 4 one hour podcasts with him.

Both his partners, Dion Hayman and Andrew Montesi started as TV sports reporters in Adelaide and moved on to bigger and better things.

Dion was 10 years at 7, then 6 months at Fox Sports Adelaide based, then moved into sports producer role at 9 in Melbourne for 18 years until 6 months ago.

Andrew was at 9 Adelaide between 2007-11 and then moved into communications and marketing roles in media, sports and other industries and moved to USA in at start of 2022 and is based in Redding California which is about 200 miles north of San Francisco.

The John Kosner podcast, the guy from NBA and ESPN, and other stuff, was brilliant. I'm sure they had to edit it down and probably could make 3 or 4 one hour podcasts with him.

Both his partners, Dion Hayman and Andrew Montesi started as TV sports reporters in Adelaide and moved on to bigger and better things.

Dion was 10 years at 7, then 6 months at Fox Sports Adelaide based, then moved into sports producer role at 9 in Melbourne for 18 years until 6 months ago.

Andrew was at 9 Adelaide between 2007-11 and then moved into communications and marketing roles in media, sports and other industries and moved to USA in at start of 2022 and is based in Redding California which is about 200 miles north of San Francisco.
I reckon Dion Hayman was also a sports reporter on local ch9 News for a little while a couple of years ago.

From memory he also used to write for the SANFL footy budget a few decades ago.

Well said.

Like I said before, it was petty, but the AFL are right to be wary of soccer and keep up the fight. They aren't picking on a little brother....that's a false perception.

Soccer has overtaken rugby in Wales, overtaken league in the North of England mill towns and is swamping GAA in Ireland (to use some relevant comparisons). And all this has happened in the past 20 years or so.

The AFL are grateful the FFA are incompetents and that the powerbrokers aren't soccer fans....yet.

If they hadn't screwed the pooch by creating nonsense plastic franchises and throwing the baby out with the bathwater, the A league would be doiing a lot better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The AFL are grateful the FFA are incompetents and that the powerbrokers aren't soccer fans....yet.

If they hadn't screwed the pooch by creating nonsense plastic franchises and throwing the baby out with the bathwater, the A league would be doiing a lot better.
The A League was massively successful in its early years. The problems being a north queensland team and a Gold Coast team.

Looking to get your Brazilian citizenship revoked?
I don't know why anyone would object to the name soccer being used in places with multiple codes of football. It's simply an abbreviation of 'association football' and it's usage goes way back to the 19th century - created by the English

The A League was massively successful in its early years. The problems being a north queensland team and a Gold Coast team.
Franchises often start off well, then the lack of depth and history usually tell, especially if not succesful.

I don't know why anyone would object to the name soccer being used in places with multiple codes of football. It's simply an abbreviation of 'association football' and it's usage goes way back to the 19th century - created by the English
Indeed, foot ball, simply meant played on foot (as opposed to horseback), has nothing to do with the way the sport is played really.

Franchises often start off well, then the lack of depth and history usually tell, especially if not succesful.
Plus almost 18 months with no national league after the NSL was wound up, means people gave the new league a big go in the first two seasons.

Looking to get your Brazilian citizenship revoked?

Eu amo futebol = I love soccer

Why would I lose my passport? The worst outcome would be being forbidden to visit the UK… 🙂

Plus almost 18 months with no national league after the NSL was wound up, means people gave the new league a big go in the first two seasons.
The second highest average attendance of the A-League was during the 2013-2014 season, with an average attendance of 13k. That was 9 years after the NSL was wound up. From 2012/13 to 2016/17 the average attendance stayed above 12k. It was only when COVID hit that attendances plummeted.

In the last season of the NSL, Adelaide United and Perth Glory - both teams that were admitted into the A-League, managed to average crowds of 8-12k.

Next year (or possibly 2024) the old NSL clubs like Melbourne Knights/Croatia, Marconi, Sydney Olympic, Adelaide City, South Melbourne Hellas etc will begin participating in a national second tier division that is above the NPL system but below the A-League. There are a number of players playing for NPL teams that are probably good enough to make it on an A-League roster but the lack of competitive matches against players of a similar quality makes it difficult for them to stand out.

The reason why Australia won't ever progress any further than the Round of 16 at a World Cup is because our players have the first touch of a drunken mule. And that comes from lack of competition during youth development. With Australia and New Zealand hosting the 2023 Women's World Cup (Adelaide is hosting Brazil, England, China and South Korea in the group stages + a Round of 16 match that will probably be between France/Brazil and Germany), then possibly putting in a joint bid with Indonesia for the 2034 World Cup (FIFA wants multi-country bids these days - the next world cup is shared between Canada, the United States and Mexico) - only a complete idiot could mess up the momentum that the world game has in this country.

I couldn't care less but I am glad GP won't need to apply for asylum.

This.

If Adelaide City were in the A-League I'd be there every week.

Even if they were still called Adelaide Juventus.

I'm not even Italian.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back