Society/Culture The National Anthem Debate

Remove this Banner Ad

Kinda puts that stupid vote we had on gay marriage into perspective when the PM can just unilaterally change the words of the national anthem overnight.
That plebiscite was a disgraceful waste of money for something they should have just bought in. Still amuses me though that a conservative government were actually the ones that bought it in. And yet Julia Gillard that you beat yourself off over was against gay people getting married when she was in charge of the country.

Last edited:
That plebiscite was a disgracefull waste of money for something they should have just bought in. Still amuses me though that a conservative government were actually the ones that bought it in. And yet Julia Gillard that you beat yourself off over was against gay people getting married when she was in charge of the country.

Gillard wasn’t a big fan of marriage full stop. This Gillard gay marriage link is a bit too far even for raving right wing triggers

Did the ‘crow power stance’ disrespect the anthem? Fully how no one was outraged in that instance. Trying to pshyche your opponents was seen as more important than the anthem

Gillard wasn’t a big fan of marriage full stop. This Gillard gay marriage link is a bit too far even for raving right wing triggers

In 2010 she stated "the Marriage Act is appropriate in its current form, that is recognising that marriage is between a man and a woman" and that marriage being between a man and woman "has a special status".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In 2010 she stated "the Marriage Act is appropriate in its current form, that is recognising that marriage is between a man and a woman" and that marriage being between a man and woman "has a special status".
I've seen old mate often go around accusing stupid Australians of voting against their best interests at the last election. Yet pom pom waves as a gay for someone that didn't want to give up a basic right for them just because they Labor. What a mindless parrot like entity..

I've seen old mate often go around accusing stupid Australians of voting against their best interests at the last election. Yet pom pom waves as a gay for someone that didn't want to give up a basic right for them just because they Labor. What a mindless parrot like entity..

'LaBoR and LiBeRaL aren't the same hur hur'

Gay marriage wasn't politically palatable for any major party until the 2010s. If there was widespread public support for it in the 90s or 2000s then someone (not Howard) would've made it a platform issue.

Another pontificating psychopath.

If only the crap from her lawyer days could be made public. They covered that up brilliantly.

Advance Australia Fair became the national anthem when I was in primary school. It was chosen by plebiscite in 1977 but was not officially adopted until 1984.

In anticipation we all had to learn the song and the words. Except at my school we all learned the wrong (original) words: "Australia's sons let us rejoice...." When it was officially adopted in 1984 it was changed to make the "sons" into the gender-neutral "all". So we had to relearn that bit.

There was time when practically nobody older than about 12 knew the words. Nobody even cared, The only line some of them knew was "our home is girt by sea" and they just mumbled the rest.

i often wondered what the old people would think if they knew the words and had to sing "young and free". It was fine for us kids to sing it, but what happens when my generations gets older? I'm late 40s now and I think the change has come just in time. As the first generation of Australians to learn AAF as the default national anthem I think the change is in keeping with how we have aged. I am told that once you hit 50 you are no longer considered by society to be young.

There was time when practically nobody older than about 12 knew the words. Nobody even cared, The only line some of them knew was "our home is girt by sea" and they just mumbled the rest.
And we were better for it.

Advance Australia Fair became the national anthem when I was in primary school. It was chosen by plebiscite in 1977 but was not officially adopted until 1984.

In anticipation we all had to learn the song and the words. Except at my school we all learned the wrong (original) words: "Australia's sons let us rejoice...." When it was officially adopted in 1984 it was changed to make the "sons" into the gender-neutral "all". So we had to relearn that bit.

i often wondered what the old people would think if they knew the words and had to sing "young and free". It was fine for us kids to sing it, but what happens when my generations gets older? I'm late 40s now and I think the change has come just in time. As the first generation of Australians to learn AAF as the default national anthem I think the change is in keeping with how we have aged. I am told that once you hit 50 you are no longer considered by society to be young.
I think the young line in the anthem was about the age of the country, not the population...

I think the young line in the anthem was about the age of the country, not the population...

Yes. But as a child I didn't understand that bit. We'd been a nation already for 80-odd years. To a child that might as well be a thousand years.

Anyhow, I don't think we still count as a young country any more. 120 years and counting.

Yes. But as a child I didn't understand that bit. We'd been a nation already for 80-odd years. To a child that might as well be a thousand years.

Anyhow, I don't think we still count as a young country any more. 120 years and counting.
Dunno man. Walking through Prague and hearing the tour guide nonchalantly say, "This castle is just over 800 years old," really puts things about Australia in perspective.

Dunno man. Walking through Prague and hearing the tour guide nonchalantly say, "This castle is just over 800 years old," really puts things about Australia in perspective.

They've got lots of old buildings for sure, but Czechia has only existed in its present form since 1993. They have been ruled by outside empires, kingdoms and powers for centuries before that.

There are "legal documents" in Australia thousands of years old. Painted on rocks all over the place.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back