The national draft is overrated.

Remove this Banner Ad

GTOA

Club Legend
Oct 24, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
I have always been fascinated with the OTT carry-on about the national draft.

The fact is, most of these names mean nothing to me. I don't care what any of these kids have done in their junior footy. They are no-names, who have proven nothing.

Sure, there might be many future superstars come out of it. But there could also be some average players, and some spuds too.

People like Kevin Sheahan wax lyrical about every player in the draft. Their credentials are listed, and we are told how good this player is. Sheahan is like a used-car salesman, who won't tell you if you are being sold a lemon.

Even if a player is a superstar, it doesn't mean that they will make it in the AFL. They might get lots of injuries, and rarely ever play.

When I spoke to my brother on this subject, he brought up Nathan Freeman. Freeman was a top-ten pick, who got drafted by Collingwood. He played 0 games in two years there, because of constant injuries. He then went to St. Kilda, and is still yet to play a senior game, because of one injury or another. So a player may be the world's greatest player, but be injury prone.

Also, some players are lazy, may run like the wind and get a lot of the ball, but their disposal is terrible etc. There are a number of factors which may hold back a "potential superstar" from becoming a real superstar.

Conversely, some players get overlooked early, despite having talent, because of prejudice by recruiters. Caleb Daniel got overlooked by a lot of teams, because he was deemed "too small". Daniel Hannebury slipped down in the draft, because he was involved in a muck-up day incident, but hasn't had any indiscretions since. In these cases, prejudice has cost clubs star players, because they are too blinkered to look past certain things.

I am more interested in hearing about players swapping clubs, because you know what you are getting. I remember being far more excited when my team recruited Patrick Dangerfield, Lachie Henderson, Zac Smith and Scott Selwood than some no-name player in the draft the same year. Because a player in the draft MAY be a superstar, but I knew Dangerfield IS a superstar. You don't waste as much time developing them, and get them to deliver straight away.

What is to stop a team just drafting in free agents and trading draft picks for players, to beef up their list each year, provided you can fit them in the salary cap. Just keep trading in and out name players, and replace them with other name players, and ignore the draft. I think if you bring in the right players, you can pull this off for longer than people think.

I don't think you realise that without a draft, you don't get any new players into the competition. Have you considered that guys like Dangerfield, Selwood, Fyfe, Bontempelli were actually drafted at some point?? Your whole argument is redundant, that the draft is useless because there's some obscurity as to whether a draftee will actually perform, because that is exactly why there is a draft in the first place: to try and identify the players most likely to make an impact at AFL level based on numerous factors. And you know what? Some recruitment teams get it wrong. But one of the main areas which a great AFL team will found itself on is its drafting, and its ability to correctly identify talent.

This ought to be one of the most idiotic posts I have to have ever seen.

Conversely, some players get overlooked early, despite having talent, because of prejudice by recruiters. Caleb Daniel got overlooked by a lot of teams, because he was deemed "too small". Daniel Hannebury slipped down in the draft, because he was involved in a muck-up day incident, but hasn't had any indiscretions since. In these cases, prejudice has cost clubs star players, because they are too blinkered to look past certain things.
Hanners was already a Swans player when he was involved in the muck-up day incident. Had no contributing factor whatsoever to his draft placement, as he was drafted the year before.

Bulldogs: Win the flag after drafting and developing a great young bunch of players. They had a delisted young player (Hamling), a bargain buy trade (Biggs) and a big trade for a player who had been the number 1 pick the year previous (Boyd).

Geelong: Go hard on trades including Dangerfield who is a star, but also adding Scott Selwood who is a bit of a plodder, Henderson who got found out on the big stage in the wrong position and Zac Smith who looked good but didn't star down the stretch. Sure they improved but they also didn't win and now don't have a first round pick this year and a mixed bag of a list with old and young.

The other thing to consider is that through a sustained period of success Geelong have good trading power. It's very hard to get anyone besides local kids to WA or SA. It's very hard to get anyone at all to a QLD team. GWS can draw players due to success and Sydney can sell success and lifestyle. Geelong and the successful/big Victorian clubs can draw players, but the smaller ones can't. Even with that in place Dangerfield probably only went to Geelong because it was home for him.

The Hawks are the best example of draft when you need to draft for 2008 and then trade with a mix of draft picks as well for 2013-2015. Had they tried to trade their way to success when Clarko joined in 2005 they would've ended going nowhere.

The fact is, most of these names mean nothing to me. I don't care what any of these kids have done in their junior footy. They are no-names, who have proven nothing.

Sure, there might be many future superstars come out of it. But there could also be some average players, and some spuds too.

People like Kevin Sheahan wax lyrical about every player in the draft. Their credentials are listed, and we are told how good this player is. Sheahan is like a used-car salesman, who won't tell you if you are being sold a lemon.

Even if a player is a superstar, it doesn't mean that they will make it in the AFL. They might get lots of injuries, and rarely ever play.

When I spoke to my brother on this subject, he brought up Nathan Freeman. Freeman was a top-ten pick, who got drafted by Collingwood. He played 0 games in two years there, because of constant injuries. He then went to St. Kilda, and is still yet to play a senior game, because of one injury or another. So a player may be the world's greatest player, but be injury prone.

Also, some players are lazy, may run like the wind and get a lot of the ball, but their disposal is terrible etc. There are a number of factors which may hold back a "potential superstar" from becoming a real superstar.

I am more interested in hearing about players swapping clubs, because you know what you are getting. I remember being far more excited when my team recruited Patrick Dangerfield, Lachie Henderson, Zac Smith and Scott Selwood than some no-name player in the draft the same year. Because a player in the draft MAY be a superstar, but I knew Dangerfield IS a superstar. You don't waste as much time developing them, and get them to deliver straight away.

What is to stop a team just drafting in free agents and trading draft picks for players, to beef up their list each year, provided you can fit them in the salary cap. Just keep trading in and out name players, and replace them with other name players, and ignore the draft. I think if you bring in the right players, you can pull this off for longer than people think.

The irony of your post is that your club built years of success on very astute drafting from one of the better recruiters in the game in Wells.

More recently because of Scott's desperation you have probably messed up chasing quick success and bringing in a bunch of disloyal mercenaries. Aside from Danger these hacks will take you nowhere.

You should probably find a way to love the draft...it has served you well.

Last edited:
The rules.

The rules.
You could avoid that by upgrading 3 rookies though couldn't you? Think rookies count. So you could upgrade guys like Farrell Ray, Jed Adcock and the like and trade all your early picks, send some guys to rookie list and just shuffle them around.

It'll never happen but in theory I think you can.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You could avoid that by upgrading 3 rookies though couldn't you? Think rookies count. So you could upgrade guys like Farrell Ray, Jed Adcock and the like and trade all your early picks, send some guys to rookie list and just shuffle them around.

It'll never happen but in theory I think you can.
Pretty sure you need to make 3 live selections in addition to any rookie upgrades, happy to be proven wrong though if you can come up with an example of a team taking less than 3 selections and using upgrade(s) to get to 3.

Pretty sure you need to make 3 live selections in addition to any rookie upgrades, happy to be proven wrong though if you can come up with an example of a team taking less than 3 selections and using upgrade(s) to get to 3.

One rookie upgrade counts towards your three picks. For an example, both Radelaide teams last year had 2 live picks plus one upgrade.
Can't find anything official to say it, but pretty sure the rule is only one upgrade counts; i.e. you have to make a minimum two live picks on the night.

Last year Port took Bonner and Johnson and upgraded Sam Gray to get to 3.

We're making 2 selections (#47 and #69) plus upgrading Josh Wagner so I think rookies count so technically you could probably just upgrade 3 rookies but honestly can't see a team doing it unless they end with a Hawthorn-like situation (first pick at 88)

A bit different but some good thought provoking points

Correct me if i am wrong but it seems like the OP's long winded opener is simply trying to say that Drafties are hyped up way to much before
actually achieving anything meaningful as an adult on the big stage?

Answer: Many aspects of Football are now over hyped and analysed to justify many many jobs that don't really need to exists, it's a business.

How and where would these free agents and proven players come from, if every club ignored the draft in the first place?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back