knightwheelrqr

Club Legend
Sep 21, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
For the record this is my first roast. :cool:

But there is a disturbing trend I am picking up on and I can't say I'm a fan of it. Often when a player is going back and having a shot on goal from outside 50 Nick Maxwell likes to "have a chat" to them. Whether it is a word of encouragement or whatever is irrelevant. It is causing our players to miss set shots on goal! Happened 2-3 times tonight in the first half and I have picked up on this previously also. Ever wondered why Collingwood forwards particularly are so horrible kicking at goal? Jack Anthony and Brent Macaffer are perfect examples. At VFL level they are excellent kicks on goal, two of the best at the club without a doubt, just at AFL level they feel the pressure. Then when it comes to AFL level they receive the "chat" whenever lining up, even from other players, not just Maxy and they miss their shots. Travis Cloke got the "chat" at one point and sprayed the kick terribly to the right. The forwards all have their own set routines when going back and lining up for goal. This I believe breaks their routine and timing through an irregularity and secondly puts unnecessary pressure on them to slot through the goal which all 3 players I have mentioned seem to experience from this. So unless Nick Maxwell wants to have a chat to the players before every set shot at training, don't do it during a game! It's costing the team!

Travis Cloke can kick goals from outside 50 on angles you think he will miss from because he can get into his routine, load up and slot it because he gets no interruptions, but if lining up from directly in front of goal he gets the "chat" which is certainly not helping and I believe to some extent is contributing to his relative inaccuracy from set shots. Having played as a youngster as a full forward back in school I found this certainly to be the case where someone would encourage me. You just want them out of our face and guys like Maxy and Shawy are pretty full on, passionate characters where they are trying to show leadership and encouragement, but to ill effect. This is not something players would necessarily even think to inform their team mates or coaching staff of and they may subconsciously think "this is annoying at the time" but then not think to action this.

I'm picking on Nick Maxwell because he does this more often than anyone else in the side. Am I delusional? Anyone who watches match replays throughout the week through afl.com.au or through other avenues please look out for this trend because from now on I will be counting the number of set shots where a player has a "chat" to the player kicking for goal while lining up. I certainly found it as a kid, so I'm pretty sure knowing through the eyes of a forward this can be a factor.

It's one thing to be passionate. But it's another to be a hindrance. Stay out of the way and let the forwards do their thing!

Can't say I've noticed it a lot, but when Beams had a set shot from the pocket in the 2nd qtr Maxwell approached him and was promptly told to "f**k off" by Johnno.

It could've been because he was planning to screen the guy on the mark though.

Both of Wellingham's misses close to goal were after he received 'the chat' from Nick Maxwell now that you mention it.

I doubt though this is the reason why we are missing such easy set shots though. Its like telling the crowd to be quiet while people are lining up. Its all mental strength.

I do agree though, Maxwell should stay in the backline at all time unless rebounding. Let the goal kickers do their work!

Odds on he is reiterating team instructions on having a shot.

ala..."Mick wants us to take the shot. Don't try anything like dishing off. You need to focus and kick through the ball"

What do you think he is saying?

ala..."Mick wants us to take the shot. Don't try anything like dishing off. You need to focus and kick through the ball"

If thats all he says (which is very likely) i don't think it is really necessary. The Boot knows that he needs to take the shot from 30 out dead in front, he doesn't need Maxy in his ear distracting him and putting him off his routine (although one could argue after tonight Wellers doesn't have anything that resembles a goal kicking routine). I've got no problems with an experienced player telling a younger bloke to milk the clock in a tight situation but there is no real need for a talk with Maxy everytime a player has a set shot.

As a forward you should be able to make your own decision. If you are within range, you are within range and go back and kick it. If not then you can pass back to Harry O'Brien from outside 50 which has been a set play for the past 3-4 weeks now or alternatively kick to a leading player or to the goal square. If the player is to receive instructions it should be done after the kick, not during.

Often I understood it to be along the lines of: "we need you to kick this goal." or "common, you can do this." It is unnecessary and it breaks up the routine for the forward having the set shot and accidently breaks their concentration.

I'll go back and further annalyse the regularity of this over the comming weeks, but it is something I have certainly noticed for some time now.

If thats all he says (which is very likely) i don't think it is really necessary. The Boot knows that he needs to take the shot from 30 out dead in front, he doesn't need Maxy in his ear distracting him and putting him off his routine (although one could argue after tonight Wellers doesn't have anything that resembles a goal kicking routine). I've got no problems with an experienced player telling a younger bloke to milk the clock in a tight situation but there is no real need for a talk with Maxy everytime a player has a set shot.

Firstly this does not happen every set shot, enough for some to notice though, and secondly he is the Captain and either feels it's necessary or feels it's part of his duty to the players.
I'm sure he doesn't do it for laughs.

Has any one got any stats on the goal kicking efficiency from set shots with and sans a chat from Maxie? I doubt it.
Lastly with our current record I doubt that it's something a Captain could be overly relaxed about.

I'm pretty sure that every time a player gets a goal one of the trainers will speak to them after, on field or on the bench, to reinforce the positives of their actions. What they did right, what they did wrong etc.

Possibly it's part of the psych departments policy.
Who the hell knows.

Realistically I put this sort of observation in the "heater tugs on his shorts too much" department.

These guys are professional sportsmen for god's sake.

Maybe he's reminding the player how much the spread needs to be for the betting club?

Both of Wellingham's misses close to goal were after he received 'the chat' from Nick Maxwell now that you mention it.

I doubt though this is the reason why we are missing such easy set shots though. Its like telling the crowd to be quiet while people are lining up. Its all mental strength.

I do agree though, Maxwell should stay in the backline at all time unless rebounding. Let the goal kickers do their work!

No - Both of Wellingham's misses were because he never watched the ball on to his foot. He just stared at the target without ensuring it hit his foot properly. Poor technique. Watch the replay of him having a shot & you will see he never looks at the footy at any stage.

Macaffer does exactly the same thing. Who is teaching these guys to kick? A decent goal kicking coach would solve most of our players problems, but they don't do anything about it.

As a forward you should be able to make your own decision. If you are within range, you are within range and go back and kick it. If not then you can pass back to Harry O'Brien from outside 50 which has been a set play for the past 3-4 weeks now or alternatively kick to a leading player or to the goal square. If the player is to receive instructions it should be done after the kick, not during.

Often I understood it to be along the lines of: "we need you to kick this goal." or "common, you can do this." It is unnecessary and it breaks up the routine for the forward having the set shot and accidently breaks their concentration.

I'll go back and further annalyse the regularity of this over the comming weeks, but it is something I have certainly noticed for some time now.

I played for 25 years, a few years in the juniors, but I can tell you that these messages can be as relevant as "Hit that bitch five rows back with the huge mammaries!"

Just as an aside Harley did it regularly at Geelong too. Must have been his tone?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back