Oppo Camp The Non-North Footy Discussion & Matchday Chat Thread (NNFD&MCT) IX

Remove this Banner Ad

Sydney playing close man on man defence and it puts pressure on their opponents. What a unique and creative way to play the game.
Wouldn’t it be good if our players stood closer than 3 metres off their opponents.

Last edited:
Odd to think there was 38 players considered better. That’s a lot of players and every team at least once.
I like to go back and look at pre draft vids. Warner doing exactly then what he does now. Recruiters are over rated.

Welcome to our neck of the woods Carltank. Being head pimp here we’ll send in some of our heavies to come by and collect some rent .

I like to go back and look at pre draft vids. Warner doing exactly then what he does now. Recruiters are over rated.

Replying to myself here, but in fairness, Mahony looked like Lachie Neale Mk2 ……still think Warner looked pretty special. Ah well

You wonder how he's missed. And the reason why. Teams overlooked him at least once.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

No idea. Most of the time they end up playing the same way in the AFL, eventually, unless they just don’t improve or suffer injuries.
Mahony's highlights were better than Warner's in those vids I reckon.

No idea. Most of the time they end up playing the same way in the AFL, eventually, unless they just don’t improve or suffer injuries.
I've never seen a bad highlights package.

No point hang wringing, we just need to get better. Hopefully the new national talent ID manager, coupled with Barlow's development team, improves us.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Always amazed how recruiters, not just us, can think a bloke with Warner’s attributes is not worth an early pick. But yeah we took Mahony AND Perez just before this bloke. The mind boggles.

Doesn't this just prove that a lot about football, just like life, is about luck and out of your control. Therefore, you focus on things that you can control, such as how you deal with these event.

Maybe one for the Zen thread!!

And if that all fails, just remember that we recruited one of the greatest footballers of all time from Sydney!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Replying to myself here, but in fairness, Mahony looked like Lachie Neale Mk2 ……still think Warner looked pretty special. Ah well

When players only play in strong/very strong U-18 sides (club and National champs), it seems like recruiters make mistakes. Obviously some who play well at those levels go on to become stars but then there are others who - in hindsight - were benefitting a huge amount from having a lot of talent around them.

The so called experts like those in Mahony's videos get it wrong so regularly and yet are so sure about their judgements year in year out. It's bewildering. It's not an exact science but the kind of retrospective case studies you like to do would be a great start for our club to go back and work out how we've got it so wrong. Who spotted these players in the first instance? What turned out to be their major weaknesses at AFL level and why weren't these identified earlier on?

Should start a consultancy.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back