Oppo Camp The Non-North Footy Discussion & Matchday Chat Thread (NNFD&MCT) IX

Remove this Banner Ad

snicko registered a noise
It looked like it hit on the telly too. You could see a slight change in ball movement and the spin of the ball changed too. It wasn't surprising they called it back. Paulie sure hits the post alot. He'd have to do it as much as anyone else in the comp.

How has every team overtaken us and why is this acceptable?

Whatever the **** we’re “building” had better be pretty damn special if we grant ourselves the immunity to be the sole exception in improving as a team this year.

I mean I’m not gutted with yesterday’s performance but then you see what the Weagles were able to do yesterday and you start to think maybe we’re aiming a little low.

Whatever the **** we’re “building” had better be pretty damn special if we grant ourselves the immunity to be the sole exception in improving as a team this year.

I mean I’m not gutted with yesterday’s performance but then you see what the Weagles were able to do yesterday and you start to think maybe we’re aiming a little low.
It's just been touched on here, we're doing so much building because the foundations (senior players) aren't and haven't been doing enough work holding us up. It's on the list management as much as it is them, but in everyone's defence look at how ****ed the years have been since Scott left!

1. Reset #1 Shaw has an off season, Covid year bullshit, Shaw walks off.
2. Reset #2 as Noble and Roos change direction, we're not doing great but we are actively 110% rebuilding.
3. Roos ****s off to Hawaii citing Mission Accomplished, Noble outed as an arrogant prick of a man, meddling everywhere from him and the BBQ king, regression everywhere as Noble is found out to be a KPI obsessed simpleton when it comes to tactics.
4. Reset #3 Clarko the saviour. Except before he starts everything ****ing collapses like a house of cards as the Hawthorn racism scandal kicks in. We change list build direction and tactics AGAIN. We still manage to do better than the absolute SLOP in Noble's second year.
5. Where we are now. Paying for the sins of the past, intentional, accidental, coincidental, our fault, someone else's fault, nobodies fault... whatever... We are where we are, which is with a heavily lopsided list favoring inexperience and youth, with several structural/positional issues, and not enough older players let alone outright good-to-great ones. However we're actively admitting to these issues (instead of claiming some short beanpole is actually a KPD while citing his championdata stats) AND have a gameplan that is increasingly making gains.

I'm slowly but surely running our of my supply of "it is what it is", but man... it really is.

Just don't lose sight of our upside which is we have long term off field stability with a 5 year senior coaching contract and a lot of damned good kids. The club just has to spend a couple of years (god help me) navigating the thorny path which is to turn all those kids into conditioned and experienced senior players while balancing (and at times juggling) everything else.

It's just been touched on here, we're doing so much building because the foundations (senior players) aren't and haven't been doing enough work holding us up. It's on the list management as much as it is them, but in everyone's defence look at how ****ed the years have been since Scott left!

1. Reset #1 Shaw has an off season, Covid year bullshit, Shaw walks off.
2. Reset #2 as Noble and Roos change direction, we're not doing great but we are actively 110% rebuilding.
3. Roos hecks off to Hawaii citing Mission Accomplished, Noble outed as an arrogant prick of a man, meddling everywhere from him and the BBQ king, regression everywhere as Noble is found out to be a KPI obsessed simpleton when it comes to tactics.
4. Reset #3 Clarko the saviour. Except before he starts everything ******* collapses like a house of cards as the Hawthorn racism scandal kicks in. We change list build direction and tactics AGAIN. We still manage to do better than the absolute SLOP in Noble's second year.
5. Where we are now. Paying for the sins of the past, intentional, accidental, coincidental, our fault, someone else's fault, nobodies fault... whatever... We are where we are, which is with a heavily lopsided list favoring inexperience and youth, with several structural/positional issues, and not enough older players let alone outright good-to-great ones. However we're actively admitting to these issues (instead of claiming some short beanpole is actually a KPD while citing his championdata stats) AND have a gameplan that is increasingly making gains.

I'm slowly but surely running our of my supply of "it is what it is", but man... it really is.

Just don't lose sight of our upside which is we have long term off field stability with a 5 year senior coaching contract and a lot of damned good kids. The club just has to spend a couple of years (god help me) navigating the thorny path which is to turn all those kids into conditioned and experienced senior players while balancing (and at times juggling) everything else.

Agree with a lot of that however I just think the teams we field could often be doing better.
Where’s our unexpected win? Our improvement out of sight overnight? Maybe it’s all coming. Just feels like it’s always us missing out.. We’re overdue some nourishment.

Not sure how the AFL could do is for tanking after losing the amount of games, year after year, as we have.

It would be like the Washington Generals getting done for match fixing.

So how do you tank and not make it obvious?

Because everything you do makes it obvious. You going to play Larkey at FB? You are going to drop Larkey and a whole bunch of senior players?

You do anything that you don’t normally do, blind Freddy will know you are tanking.

You can’t tell the players not to try because despite the losses they busted their arse.

Because everything you do makes it obvious. You going to play Larkey at FB? You are going to drop Larkey and a whole bunch of senior players?

You do anything that you don’t normally do, blind Freddy will know you are tanking.

You can’t tell the players not to try because despite the losses they busted their arse.
If I was ordered to tank a game, the people I would be relying on most are the interchange steward and runner tbh. If each of them give away a 50 at key points of the game then you're half way there.

Anyone carrying a niggle gets left out and you send some in for their season-ending surgery earlier than you would if you were in contention for finals is how Geelong did it last year, according to a certain ex-Port player.

Anyone carrying a niggle gets left out and you send some in for their season-ending surgery earlier than you would if you were in contention for finals is how Geelong did it last year, according to a certain ex-Port player.
Teams do that every year and no-one blinks an eye, because it is not tanking. Being ok with losing games when points don’t matter any more and your priority moves to the next season is NOT acting deliberately to ensure you lose a game for incentive.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

By the way, I’m interested to know why the Eagles didn’t tank?

Up until round 19 they had one win, they play the only team that could steal the 1st pick off them and win so they level the wins with only percentage the difference.

They then travel to Melbourne to play the Bombers, hit the lead late and lose by a point.

They get flogged in a Derby.

Then they come to Melbourne again and upset the Doggies by 7 points, kicking 5 goals in the last quarter.

And against Adelaide at home have a lead deep into the 3rd quarter.

They did everything they could to lose the 1st pick, why?

Ben Ronke!!!

We dont have yeo or darling older players, or a power fwd like wsterman. Untill be developed players to this level of strength we wont be competative.

We dont have yeo or darling older players, or a power fwd like wsterman. Untill be developed players to this level of strength we wont be competative.

Those two Reid moments get played on loop for us to cry over but if anybody watched the actual game they would have seen that the Eagles' senior crust were absolutely locked in on Sunday. Waterman was unreal, McGovern and Barass were letting nothing past them, even the sundowning Darling was getting amongst it. We just simply do not have this.

That said, if the likes of LDU, Corr, Fisher and Stephenson can continue pushing themselves on their recent form, and others join them, then we will definitely improve. Even McDonald has pulled his head in. No coincidence that we instantly look more competitive when our 25+ guys start working hard.

They missed Jack Mahony.

Inside 3 games he'd:

Got the nom
Mark of the week
Goal of the week
Trolled Kosi
Sung Khe Sanh in a Kuta bar
Married a Russian girl in Bali who was very religious and wanted to have their first kiss "after Australia visa for me and my brother"

She seemed really affectionate about her brother but he figured it was a European thing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back