The North Queensland Connection

Remove this Banner Ad

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
As you all already know I'm pretty excited about our boy Jack joining us soon but it got me thinking that North Queensland seems to be the forgotten area when it comes to footy. There have been some great players that have come out of the north and we arguably already have the best one on our list in Harbs. So I wanted to create a thread where we talk about all things football related in North QLD and hopefully we can uncover some gems. But first let's look at a few of the famous names to come out of the north.

xmtrDJI.jpg

Jarrod Harbrow
Junior club: South Cairns
AFL games: 184

37Z90RG.jpg

Che Cockatoo Collins
Junior club: Cairns City
AFL games: 160

OwJH201.jpg

David Armitage
Junior club: Eastern Mackay
AFL games: 150

UY52iXC.jpg

Courtenay Dempsey
Junior club: Manunda (Cairns)
AFL games: 133

YtdtfbZ.jpg

Troy Clarke
Junior club: South Cairns
AFL games: 68

PFMruYR.jpg

Jason Roe
Junior club: Cairns City
AFL games: 50

Virtually every significant player has come from Cairns and not Townsville, Mackay or Mount Isa. Then of course we all know our guys from Cairns that have come through like Rex Liddy and Charlie Dixon. So there has undoubtedly been a lot of talented players coming out of North QLD and that's going to continue this year with Bowes. Let's look at the premiers this year for each region.

2016 AFL Cairns GF
Port Douglas 17.13 115 - 14.7 91

there is a very good reason why Cairns produces AFL standard players - sorry boys, but thank Collingwood.

Ex Collingwood player Bruce Andrews who played in Collingwood's 4 peat 1927-30 purchased land in Cairns in 1957 on behalf on the ANFC - no, not the African national congress, but the Australian National football council. :)

They got some land, now close into town, put a club there, bought some pokies and made a motzah and through it promote the game and culture.

Sorry guys forgot to finish the grand final list above.

2016 AFL Cairns GF
Port Douglas 17.13 115 - 14.7 91 South Cairns

2016 AFL Mackay GF
Whitsundays 16.12 108 - 7.6 48 Mackay City

2016 AFL Mount Isa GF
Mount Isa Tigers 17.12 114 - 7.15 57 Lake Nash

2016 AFL Townsville GF
Thuringowa 12.14 86 - 5.4 34 Hermit Park

Lake Nash is an interesting team because they are actually based in the Northern Territory but compete in the Mount Isa league. Does anyone know if players from Lake Nash are eligible for our academy?

there is a very good reason why Cairns produces AFL standard players - sorry boys, but thank Collingwood.

Ex Collingwood player Bruce Andrews who played in Collingwood's 4 peat 1927-30 purchased land in Cairns in 1957 on behalf on the ANFC - no, not the African national congress, but the Australian National football council. :)

They got some land, now close into town, put a club there, bought some pokies and made a motzah and through it promote the game and culture.
That's like saying Brisbane can thank Hawthorn for their 3 premierships just because Leigh Matthews played for the Hawks in his younger days. Bruce was well into his administrative rcareer with the ANFC at that point so the purchase had nothing to do with Collingwood and everything to do with growing the game nationally.

2016 AFL Cairns GF

2016 AFL Mackay GF

2016 AFL Mount Isa GF

2016 AFL Townsville GF

Lake Nash is an interesting team because they are actually based in the Northern Territory but compete in the Mount Isa league. Does anyone know if players from Lake Nash are eligible for our academy?

That's like saying Brisbane can thank Hawthorn for their 3 premierships just because Leigh Matthews played for the Hawks in his younger days. Bruce was well into his administrative rcareer with the ANFC at that point so the purchase had nothing to do with Collingwood and everything to do with growing the game nationally.

Well, i would never debate that, you have a good point, but i have some poetic licence. :)

Mackays got a good ground and strong AFL support too
Mining,warm weather and the military got Mexicans to Cairns, Mackay and Townsville
They loved footy

North QLD kids to keep an eye on from the u16 state team this year.

Max Culpitt (Cairns)
Caleb Graham (Cairns)
Liam Watson (Cairns)
Fitzroy Greenwool (Cape York)
Ryan Gilmore (Townsville)
Dirk Koenen (Townsville)

I would like to see Fitzroy Greenwool make it. He's an indigenous kid from the Cape and if I'm not mistaken we've never seen anyone from the Cape make it in the AFL.

North QLD kids to keep an eye on from the u16 state team this year.

Max Culpitt (Cairns)
Caleb Graham (Cairns)
Liam Watson (Cairns)
Fitzroy Greenwool (Cape York)
Ryan Gilmore (Townsville)
Dirk Koenen (Townsville)

I would like to see Fitzroy Greenwool make it. He's an indigenous kid from the Cape and if I'm not mistaken we've never seen anyone from the Cape make it in the AFL.
I'm in favour of drafting anyone named Fitzroy.

Mackays got a good ground and strong AFL support too
Mining,warm weather and the military got Mexicans to Cairns, Mackay and Townsville
They love footy
Can't say I've personally been to Harrup Park in Mackay but it looks decent for a regional ground. I would have thought it was a bit of a stretch to say AFL is anywhere near the popularity of league in Mackay. Barba, Gagai and Hoffman are all from Mackay so they are certainly churning out the NRL players whereas I can't think of any AFL players from Mackay with the sole exception being Armitage.

tqgH7ex.jpg

2016 AFL Cairns GF

2016 AFL Mackay GF

2016 AFL Mount Isa GF

2016 AFL Townsville GF

Mt Isa has had some sort of relationship with diamond joe gutnick - who I believe donated 100,000 for development of an oval etc - perhaps even a bus for Lake Nash - although it was a few years ago now

Interesting read. Mount Isa is a tricky one because there are less than 25,000 people living there and it's predominately a rugby league town.

I don't think anyone would deny that we face the biggest challenge with our academy because of how sparsely populated north/central QLD is. Cairns (140k), Mackay (110k), Mount Isa (22k) and Townsville (170k) account for about 450,000 people so it's important for us to develop the north. Easier said than done, especially when rugby league reigns supreme in these areas.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back