The off topic thread 4.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Instead of doing Uni work this week, I've wasted time reading about the supposed benefits of cannabis legalisation. Pretty sure there's a thread on it elsewhere on the site, however I'd like to gauge the opinions of my fellow Australian Football aficionados.

It's hard to ignore the massive boost in tax revenue.. not as if it's as harmful as alcohol/cigarettes/gambling. Been a success in the US states/Canada thus far... I believe NZ are having a plebiscite on it this year.

The irony of SM liking this post is probably lost on him.

To be fair a comment like this isn’t going to help much and you only have to run through the thread to see who started the attacks.
I’m pretty sure everyone is well aware of who instigates 99% of the mind-numbingly boring s**t fights on this board.
Instead of doing Uni work this week, I've wasted time reading about the supposed benefits of cannabis legalisation. Pretty sure there's a thread on it elsewhere on the site, however I'd like to gauge the opinions of my fellow Australian Football aficionados.

It's hard to ignore the massive boost in tax revenue.. not as if it's as harmful as alcohol/cigarettes/gambling. Been a success in the US states/Canada thus far... I believe NZ are having a plebiscite on it this year.
Laughable that it isn’t already legalised. Only a matter of time. Is it too much to ask to legalise MDMA and cocaine while we’re at it?

Isn’t there strains of it that induce psychosis? I wouldn’t necessarily suggest it is less harmful than those three other vices you mentioned, would put it on par. Apparently it has medicinal qualities though, mainly for people who suffer with arthritic type conditions

I’m pretty sure everyone is well aware of who instigates 99% of the mind-numbingly boring s**t fights on this board.

Laughable that it isn’t already legalised. Only a matter of time. Is it too much to ask to legalise MDMA and cocaine while we’re at it?
I'd personally only decriminalise those other drugs you mention.

The cannabis market could be a huge sector for Australia, considering our landmass. Would shut the farmers up as well if they could be part of an inevitably lucrative, ceilingless industry.

Isn’t there strains of it that induce psychosis? I wouldn’t necessarily suggest it is less harmful than those three other vices you mentioned, would put it on par. Apparently it has medicinal qualities though, mainly for people who suffer with arthritic type conditions
Legalising it would reduce the likelihood of those negative side effects, as there'd be grower control, with consumer clarity RE the psychoactive contents they're buying.

And it's absolutely less harmful than all three.

don't care for the stuff, can't believe it's still a problem in 2019. plenty of benefits to legalising it. the sorts who whine about it will find something else to cling on to.
Bill Shorten said they're not going to legalise it, as it's something he wouldn't want his children to partake in. How ignorant - cannabis is ridiculously easy to obtain. Not about availability, but taking the control away from criminals and benefitting both the public health & sector is a no brainer.

The greatest issue, in my opinion, with major-party politicians is that their job is literally to work for the greater benefit of society, yet they're almost always acting in the best interests of themselves.

I'd personally only decriminalise those other drugs you mention.

The cannabis market could be a huge sector for Australia, considering our landmass. Would shut the farmers up as well if they could be part of an inevitably lucrative, ceilingless industry.
I would consider other psychedelics as well. Like it’s amazing that alcohol is legal, yet mushrooms aren’t. Harm to other people and the user would be significantly higher for alcohol than mushrooms.

There have also been studies that suggest alcohol is more harmful than crack cocaine and heroin.

Bill Shorten said they're not going to legalise it, as it's something he wouldn't want his children to partake in. How ignorant - cannabis is ridiculously easy to obtain. Not about availability, but taking the control away from criminals and benefitting both the public health & sector is a no brainer.

The greatest issue, in my opinion, with major-party politicians is that their job is literally to act in the best interests of society, yet there's almost always an ulterior motive in the actions they take.
politicians are out of touch and arent smarter than people, let alone the many scientists and experts they ignore and arrogantly think they're smarter than. plus yeah, it's always nice getting a fat wad of cash to keep the donors happy. that's always the number one priority.

I would consider other psychedelics as well. Like it’s amazing that alcohol is legal, yet mushrooms aren’t. Harm to other people and the user would be significantly higher for alcohol than mushrooms.

There have also been studies that suggest alcohol is more harmful than crack cocaine and heroin.
Alcohol carries a significant social cost, but its consumption is a hobby of most baby boomers, so the damage is completely ignored.

Of course, if most illegal narcotics were regulated, systems would need to be put in place (on the backs of extensive research) in the best interests of public safety (roads, etc.)

Legalising it would reduce the likelihood of those negative side effects, as there'd be grower control, with consumer clarity RE the psychoactive contents they're buying.

And it's absolutely less harmful than all three.

Have you watched Murder Mountain on Netflix?

As WR was saying, there are now issues with psychosis arriving with legalisation, as people become too immune to it, and require more potent strains to reach any form of high. Also issues of driving need to be discussed, like with any drugs.

politicians are out of touch and arent smarter than people, let alone the many scientists and experts they ignore and arrogantly think they're smarter than. plus yeah, it's always nice getting a fat wad of cash to keep the donors happy. that's always the number one priority.
Got to love the LNP, pushing for Medicare cuts >50 Billion, which they plan on using for offsetting tax cuts to their corporate donors.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have you watched Murder Mountain on Netflix?

As WR was saying, there are now issues with psychosis arriving with legalisation, as people become too immune to it, and require more potent strains to reach any form of high. Also issues of driving need to be discussed, like with any drugs.
I agree, but with apt tax revenue reimplementation, methods of control can fix these teething issues. Think about over the counter drugs, and how there's a strict limit on personal consumption over a certain timeframe.

The question you should ask yourself Zoom is, would you be ok having your kids regularly using these kind of drugs?

I’ve done all the drugs out there short of heroine and crack, but I do recognise they have a destructive side. I wouldn’t want my kids involved with drugs. Smoking a bit of weed now and again I’d give a pass on. But I’ve seen too many regular potheads kind of go completely off the rails. Whether they would or would not have without using the drug is the deeper question

The question you should ask yourself Zoom is, would you be ok having your kids regularly using these kind of drugs?

I’ve done all the drugs out there short of heroine and crack, but I do recognise they have a destructive side. I wouldn’t want my kids involved with drugs. Smoking a bit of weed now and again I’d give a pass on. But I’ve seen too many regular potheads kind of go completely off the rails. Whether they would or would not have without using the drug is the deeper question
Like alcohol/gambling, one could argue that moderated use isn't harmful. Potheads are a dime a dozen, as are alcoholics. It's down to the individual, not the drug itself.

And pot addicts are being prosecuted for doing no societal harm at all - wasting public funding, our tax dollars.

I wouldn’t be, but I wouldn’t like them smoking cigarettes and binge drinking either. Just because it’s legalised doesn’t mean they will be abusing acid every day. I feel like if my kids are going to take drugs, they will take it regardless of whether it’s legalised or not - just like everyone else who dabbles in illicit substances. Does the fact that it’s illegal stop many people? Not from my experiences. Police rarely enforce the law on petty drug crimes. I’ve seen firsthand police catch someone with 50 odd pills, tell someone to pour it down a drain and made them catch a cab home without even taking their name down. The system is piss weak and is not a deterrent to the majority of people.

Drugs are also becoming increasingly accessible these days, especially with the dark web and apps like Wickr. Mushrooms are literally found in the ground at your local park. If the correct education systems are put in place then I have faith that it will deter abuse and encourage moderation. Plus I’d back myself in as a parent to guide my kids to make the right decisions (most of the time anyway).

the kids that want this stuff will always find a way to use it, or have it. it's up to them whether it destroys them.

Like alcohol/gambling, one could argue that moderated use isn't harmful. Potheads are a dime a dozen, as are alcoholics. It's down to the individual, not the drug itself.

And pot addicts are being prosecuted for doing no societal harm at all - wasting public funding, our tax dollars.
You have to look at all sides if you are going to do this objectively.

Personally, for pot I’m on the side of legalising it. I don’t go along with the reasoning that because alcohol, gambling etc are legal then so should pot use though. Introducing another potential vice just because there are already others around isn’t sound logic, so I’d stay away from that argument. Tobacco wouldn’t be legalised these days because we know of what harm it causes, in fact it probably faces being made illegal by the mid part of this century. Alcohol I’m not sure about. Could you imagine a world without alcohol? It’s a socially acceptable drug because in the main it helps people relax and become more open. But of course we know for some it makes them violent, anti-social bastards. The same can be said for pot and perhaps even cocaine and the other popular recreational drugs. For some it’s just a high and means to feel better or have a good time, but for others it becomes an addiction or has a negative impact on their mental well being. The studies seem to indicate that it’s been underestimated how much an affect it has in this area, and that’s probably what’s holding it back from being legalised

What has deterred you if you don’t mind me asking?
Just no interest at all. Something that's never appealed to me whatsoever.

Don't like the smell of weed, and if you need drugs to have fun, you probably need to find something more fun to do or get better friends. Just my opinion.

I'm not against them, but I don't condone them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back