The off topic thread 5.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah I think it'll probably be during Charles' reign.
I agree. But think we'll need a PM with a bit more conviction than the options on both sides of parliament at the moment. Do think it will be in our lifetime though. Maybe not in Cruffy's since he is pushing 70

I agree. But think we'll need a PM with a bit more conviction than the options on both sides of parliament at the moment. Do think it will be in our lifetime though. Maybe not in Cruffy's since he is pushing 70
Only 4 months younger than me mate, we'll do a joint 75th in a few years.

Olympics and Commonwealth games should probably disappear they do more harm than good to the places that hold them.
I think they're ok if the location already has the infrastructure set up. But when they're having to do a complete build or thereabouts, it becomes a problem.

Football World Cups are obviously no different.

I think they're ok if the location already has the infrastructure set up. But when they're having to do a complete build or thereabouts, it becomes a problem.

Football World Cups are obviously no different.

Yeah I get the philosophy of taking the WC to countries that haven't experienced it, but it really should just rotate between countries that already have the stadia.

Not really the world game then though.

So you think we should have a World Cup in Ghana to justify it being the World Game?

I'm not saying rotate it between England, Germany and Spain, I'm saying rotate it amongst countries with the infrastructure. So USA, Brazil, Argentina, Australia (probably), England, Spain, France, Germany, China, Japan/South Korea, South Africa off the top of my head countries that either already have sufficient stadia or could get them reasonably cheaply.

So you think we should have a World Cup in Ghana to justify it being the World Game?

I'm not saying rotate it between England, Germany and Spain, I'm saying rotate it amongst countries with the infrastructure. So USA, Brazil, Argentina, Australia (probably), England, Spain, France, Germany, China, Japan/South Korea, South Africa off the top of my head countries that either already have sufficient stadia or could get them reasonably cheaply.
No - and I totally agree with you also lol.

Hard one I suppose but I don't mind it being held in the big countries.

Italy, Holland probably another two that could do it too. Mexico as well I would ssume.

Brazil has empty stadiums that haven't been touched since the World Cup.

Australia clearly do not have enough quality stadiums at this point in time to host the (men's) world cup. And that is not without dealing with the issues about the AFL and NRL and their stadiums either.

Can't see us ever hosting a WC in our lifetime unless something drastically changes

Brazil has empty stadiums that haven't been touched since the World Cup.

Which means they're suitable for another World Cup. ;)

But I guess that's my point, all these countries now have these big stadia that aren't being used. I'm sure South Africa is the same.

Which means they're suitable for another World Cup. ;)

But I guess that's my point, all these countries now have these big stadia that aren't being used. I'm sure South Africa is the same.
I'm not sure they are. Those stadiums are now all run down and have been empty since. Would take a huge chunk of coin to get them back to operational.

South Africa would absolutely be the same.

If FIFA want everyone to have a go at hosting (rather than just the big clubs), they might have to become ok with smaller venues.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Joint bids seem to be the future of the WC.

I'm not sure they are. Those stadiums are now all run down and have been empty since. Would take a huge chunk of coin to get them back to operational.

South Africa would absolutely be the same.

If FIFA want everyone to have a go at hosting (rather than just the big clubs), they might have to become ok with smaller venues.

The coin to get them up and running would be a lot less than building from scratch, but regardless it was just an off the top of my head of countries in a better position to host than saddling other countries with a huge amount of stadia.

not entirely relevant but I think A/NZ is more realistic than just us.

Really? I wouldn't have thought NZ would be that interesting to FIFA.

I wonder if there'd be any complications with that considering we're in Asia and they're Oceania. I mean logistically obviously not but it seems like something that would be unique.
It'd be more appealing than a sole Aus bid I reckon. And considering it's closer to Australia than Perth is to the east coast, the fact it's separate countries shouldn't be a problem. Plenty of stadiums because of their rugby fanaticism. Have hosted rugby world cups before and are obviously a huge tourist destination.

It'd be more appealing than a sole Aus bid I reckon. And considering it's closer to Australia than Perth is to the east coast, the fact it's separate countries shouldn't be a problem. Plenty of stadiums because of their rugby fanaticism. Have hosted rugby world cups before and are obviously a huge tourist destination.
Could also sell it as Oceania being the only confederation to never have hosted the tournament. Honestly I think any hope we have of a successful bid in the future will have to include NZ, especially with the move to 48 teams.

In terms of an AFC hosted tournament, I assume China and a return to Japan will come before we get a look in. Just those two would put us decades away from being any chance.

Could also sell it as Oceania being the only confederation to never have hosted the tournament. Honestly I think any hope we have of a successful bid in the future will have to include NZ, especially with the move to 48 teams.

In terms of an AFC hosted tournament, I assume China and a return to Japan will come before we get a look in. Just those two would put us decades away from being any chance.
Nz being added to a bid finds 3, maybe 4 stadiums at a stretch which would make a combined bid very possible.

A world cup game being played with the iconic CCM backdrop minus the sauce bottles would be an amazing thing to see!

Nz being added to a bid finds 3, maybe 4 stadiums at a stretch which would make a combined bid very possible.

A world cup game being played with the iconic CCM backdrop minus the sauce bottles would be an amazing thing to see!

No way would Gosford hold enough to host enough a WC game, let alone being so far away from the Sydney CBD.

Russia? ;)

There's also the possibility of doing a shared hosting between the Benelux countries and maybe the Baltics if they have the required stadia (enough)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back