The off topic thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So why pick only the Interstate teams to play there? You want a proper "home ground" but still want to cash in on the bigger crowds.

We have to travel all over the ******* country because Melbourne teams cant find fans in Melbourne.

Give us an reasonable stadium deal and equal free to air rights and I'd be happy to play you guys at Etihad, but we are being shafted and when we play the small drawing teams like you guys we lose money(and aren't on TV). You're gripe should be with the AFL not us.

You don't know how lucky your team has it. All I want is equality.

Plus Whitten Oval is our 'home ground'.

It's not up to you though. Those clubs are entitled to play their home games wherever they please.
Very true. Yet clubs like yours can 'somehow' weasel your way out of travelling down the highway, meaning clubs like WB, St.K and NM have to compensate by travelling down here every year:rolleyes:

The competition hasn't been the VFL for a quarter of a century. It's a national competition now. What a peculiar attitude.
Not in name but as Latro suggests, it's still essentially the VFL and always will be.

Very true. Yet clubs like yours can 'somehow' weasel your way out of travelling down the highway, meaning clubs like WB, St.K and NM have to compensate by travelling down here every year:rolleyes:
Doesn't that have something to do with the number of games you're required to play at Etihad?

I don't know why you care anyway, you beat us no matter where we play :mad:

Not in name but as Latro suggests, it's still essentially the VFL and always will be.

Doesn't that have something to do with the number of games you're required to play at Etihad?
We could easily swap a home game vs WB with Carlton, Collingwood or Essendon, all three of which we haven't played at 'home' this millennium :mad:

The bogus argument is they're too big to play down here, yet have no qualms playing at other small venues interstate. It shouldn't matter anyway, if it's our home game, away fans shouldn't expect to get a seat to the game anyway.

Iirc the last 2-3 home games vs Carlton have only got around 35-38k, our home stadium is around 34k in capacity. Sick to death of certain 'power' clubs (Hawthorn as well) getting a free pass from playing at our fortress. It's not fair to rest of the Melbourne based clubs, who do have travel here.

I don't know why you care anyway, you beat us no matter where we play :mad:
can proudly say 13-0 against Carlton at Docklands:)

Expected somewhat given we've actually got the best win % at the venue of all clubs.

As a Freo fan the final in Geelong was a joke.
As a cats fan it's a joke we've had 2 'home' finals since 1897. We're a foundation club ffs, yet we continue to get the short to straw compared to Melbourne clubs.

There's even a club that owe they're participation in this comp to us!

Scheduling the game vs Fremantle here, on a whim, was a PR stunt to celebrate the redevelopment, which I don't agree with. I'd have preferred it remain at Docklands, even though I did go to the game:)

Is that all? I'm seeking the interstate perspective to how it's still the VFL.

Why? The interstate clubs joined the existing VFL sides.

You may have shiny new toys (GCS, GWS) but the majority of the AFL is Victorian. The hierarchy still operate out of there, the GF is played out of there etc etc.

You have teams all over the place but the one common denominator is Victoria.

Why? The interstate clubs joined the existing VFL sides.

You may have shiny new toys (GCS, GWS) but the majority of the AFL is Victorian. The hierarchy still operate out of there, the GF is played out of there etc etc.

You have teams all over the place but the one common denominator is Victoria.

That doesn't mean that the competition will 'remain' the VFL. Unless you simply mean that the majority of teams are from Victoria which is pretty irrelevant to how the governing body acts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That doesn't mean that the competition will 'remain' the VFL. Unless you simply mean that the majority of teams are from Victoria which is pretty irrelevant to how the governing body acts.
You don't think Victorian teams are favoured? You'd be one of the few.

Obviously clubs like GC, GWS have had their concessions but the AFL needed them to be competitive as soon as possible.

You don't think Victorian teams are favoured? You'd be one of the few.

Obviously clubs like GC, GWS have had their concessions but the AFL needed them to be competitive as soon as possible.

I didn't say that. I think they are, and to say that will never change is incredibly naive, and was the point I was making.

I also mentioned the GF, the administration being run out of there etc etc.

That has no bearing on this discussion though. You basically told him to stop whining because it's the VFL. It isn't. As the amount of interstate clubs rises, the pressure on the AFL to become more equitable similarly rises. To say that preferential treatment for Victoria will always remain and people should accept it was like your comment the other week that we shouldn't invest in better technology to cope with the changing planet because "in the future we'll have better technology so why do anything now?" Short sighted to the extreme.

I didn't say that. I think they are, and to say that will never change is incredibly naive, and was the point I was making.
Why would it change? It hasn't in the last 25 years.

A strong Collingwood, Hawthorn, Richmond, Essendon (and to a lesser extent, Carlton) are great for the AFL. So they'll do what they can to help them achieve that.

Why would it change? It hasn't in the last 25 years.

A strong Collingwood, Hawthorn, Richmond, Essendon (and to a lesser extent, Carlton) are great for the AFL. So they'll do what they can to help them achieve that.

Read my post again. What's changed in the last 25 years? West Cast, Fremantle, Sydney, Adelaide, Port Adelaide, GWS, GC, Brisbane have all entered the comp. GWS and GC in the last three or four years. Things don't change over night but saying they will never change is what I'm taking issue with.

Read my post again. What's changed in the last 25 years? West Cast, Fremantle, Sydney, Adelaide, Port Adelaide, GWS, GC, Brisbane have all entered the comp. GWS and GC in the last three or four years. Things don't change over night but saying they will never change is what I'm taking issue with.
Will Sydney ever turn a profit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back