The Official Week 13 'Small Sample Size' Thread

Feb 13, 2007
Not practice
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Sam Hinkie
Towns.

On a somewhat related note, it's crazy how quickly Anthony Davis went from being the only young big to be crushing the league to one of several young bigs doing it. People use to talk about him in very unicorn-ish terms at the end of 2014/15 but over the next 2 years, Towns, Emiid and Porzingis entered the league and now he's kind of one of a group to me.
He's still very much on top of that group of guys. The league is in fantastic shape going forward tho with the talented bigs coming through.

Dec 25, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
He's still very much on top of that group of guys. The league is in fantastic shape going forward tho with the talented bigs coming through.

You know I respectfully disagree that he's very much on top. He has a little more of an injury history than 2 of them and a little less of a 3 ball than all of them. To me it's not clear cut.

Feb 13, 2007
Not practice
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Sam Hinkie
You know I respectfully disagree that he's very much on top. He has a little more of an injury history than 2 of them and a little less of a 3 ball than all of them. To me it's not clear cut.
Imo, all 3 of Towns,Porzingis and Embiid all have huge ceilings too and who knows where they get to but Davis is already at that level those guys hope to get to right now, the injury stuff is a real thing unfortunately so who knows how much that hurts him going forward. I just think lumping Davis in with those guys atm is a disservice for how good he currently is.

Sep 7, 2005
Firing GarPax
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Chicago Bulls
Imo, all 3 of Towns,Porzingis and Embiid all have huge ceilings too and who knows where they get to but Davis is already at that level those guys hope to get to right now, the injury stuff is a real thing unfortunately so who knows how much that hurts him going forward. I just think lumping Davis in with those guys atm is a disservice for how good he currently is.

The other thing we all forget is that most of those guys (yes I'm looking at Towns) have big steps to take defensively before they can be considered elite.

Its great to be a big than can handle the rock and shoot 3's, but you also have to not give those points back (and more) at the other end

Back