MRP / Trib. The Patrick Parnell incident

Remove this Banner Ad

Whats ludicrous is a legal bump that looked bad but didnt cause injury other than a winding.. gets called 3 weeks due to “potential to cause injury”.

But a completely unnecessary and illegal sling tackle that caused a concussion injury only results in 4 weeks.. its only punishable by 1 single game more in the eyes of the Tribunal.

That Mcadam bullshit pulled by Michael Christian, the AFL and its kangaroo court is going to make a complete farce of the entire year when it comes to reportable incidents.

Most on this board are more worthwhile to read than the VAFL shrills.

Which is why I hardly watch any AFL shows & spend more time on here.
I'm a strong believer of every story having two side.
The "other" side of the Patrick Parnell incident is probably on the Richmond boards.

Whether it's their story or ours you might align with, both are valid and passionate. We love our respective club and players. It's tribal.

But most importantly, both sides' story is untarnished by commercial interest. It's pure and from a position of truth seeking. A professional journalist, on the other hand, is usually beholden to a company position and therefore, biased in favour of profitability. The AFL are protective of their brand and as many in here say, get their dogs to do the barking that suits them.

I guess even Damien Barrett has a mortgage to pay...(sighs)

Seems to me a way to stop these tackles from happening is the player who has done the tackle gets sent off the same amount of time as the player he’s tackled. If it’s 20 minutes for the protocol and then the player comes back on, the tackler has to stay off that length of time too. If the injured player is subbed out, so too should the tackler be. If the injured player has to be out the following week, so to should the tackler… and THEN the penalty should begin.
Anything with penalties like that will get exploited. Clubs always find loopholes with that stuff.

4th quarter has just started, Tex has kicked 4 and they have no match for him. He's taking the game by the scruff of the neck. Tex tackles the opposition's smallest player who is having a shocker, who lingers on the ground for a few seconds (he got tackled by Tex after all). Like the Murphy/Dawson moment, his team mates "check on him" but are actually advising him to milk it. His head barely hit the ground but they give him the HIA anyway, which he passes but they sub him out instantly anyway since it's the last quarter. And that's Tex's game done too.

Anything with penalties like that will get exploited. Clubs always find loopholes with that stuff.

4th quarter has just started, Tex has kicked 4 and they have no match for him. He's taking the game by the scruff of the neck. Tex tackles the opposition's smallest player who is having a shocker, who lingers on the ground for a few seconds (he got tackled by Tex after all). Like the Murphy/Dawson moment, his team mates "check on him" but are actually advising him to milk it. His head barely hit the ground but they give him the HIA anyway, which he passes but they sub him out instantly anyway since it's the last quarter. And that's Tex's game done too.
Independent doctor could ensure there is no milking.

If we're serious about reducing player danger, we can either be reactive, by imposing longer penalties at the tribunal etc, or we can be proactive by making players and coaches modify their approach to player safety.

The current tribunal system has minimal impact on the team as they are least had the use of the offending player for the game of the offence. This is a disadvantage to the victim team (see Parnell incident). Once found guilty, the player is replaced for subsequent games. Sometimes a key player out hurts the team but not explicitly. Nathan Broad, for example, can be replaced.

By using a red card for clear offences (and especially where injury has occurred), and making the team play with only 17 from that time on, this has an instant impact on the team right now.

I'm only talking about the worst offences and I wouldn't want it used more than about 10 times per year. However, the instant penalty on the team would force clubs and individual players to become far more vigilant. It also benefits the victim team rather than being disadvantaged. It's a fairer system.

It wouldn't take long for behaviours to improve and head trauma would definately be reduced.

The red card is controversial and will produce a wide range of opinion. But now is a very good time to raise it again.

What do you think?

There's clearly a lack of consistency between incidents that cause injury, especially concussion, vs incidents that don't cause injury but "have the potential to cause serious injury"- ie they look bad. The AFL is trying to have a bet each way - "bad look" incidents carry almost as much weight as players being seriously injured.

It's PR vs medical science.

Independent doctor could ensure there is no milking.
But that doesnt stop the ability to exploit it

Even if the player is milking it - and BCs rule is in place - then Tex is automatically off the ground - no ifs or buts.

The milking will be determined by a tribunal or such - and with the issue around head knocks - most will go with '' well we had to be sure''

Apparently Nathan Broad has been punished in other ways ... like being made to live with possibly the worst tattoo in the AFL:

nb.jpg

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apparently Nathan Broad has been punished in other ways ... like being made to live with possibly the worst tattoo in the AFL:

View attachment 1643227

I see your Broad tattoo and raise you a Stringer tattoo

Defe23RU0AAvq8-.jpg
7abae7f18e066c247fbf6af6ff2b5775

There's clearly a lack of consistency between incidents that cause injury, especially concussion, vs incidents that don't cause injury but "have the potential to cause serious injury"- ie they look bad. The AFL is trying to have a bet each way - "bad look" incidents carry almost as much weight as players being seriously injured.

It's PR vs medical science.

Yep, if they were concerned about "potential to cause injury" then the Pickett case was the perfect place to start. Then it would have been a case where the line was drawn and people may have been more accepting of the interpretation, but to use Macadams incident, independent of what happened with Pickett made very little sense.

They showed on AFL360 all the incidents of sling tackles that resulted in a 4 week suspension and every single one of them was Against Adelaide.

Hamill, McHenry and now Parnell

Strange that all the victim players are from the same club. Are we perhaps not teaching our players what to do when tackled to avoid these type of incidents or is it purely coincidental?

They showed on AFL360 all the incidents of sling tackles that resulted in a 4 week suspension and every single one of them was Against Adelaide.

Strange that all the victim players are from the same club. Are we perhaps not teaching our players what to do when tackled to avoid these type of incidents or is it purely coincidental?

I'd say it's more so that all of those players are very slightly built.

Our players are easy targets.

Its definitely not because we wont retaliate

No siree Bob - not that at all

Whilst I have been one of our biggest critics of lack of aggression over the years - I highly doubt opposition teams are planning to 'Sling Crows Players into the Ground as they won't retaliate' prior to matches.

Tex Walker plays for us and he has been one of the biggest culprits of the sling tackle ffs, has been suspended 3 times for memory over it.

Tex Walker plays for us and he has been one of the biggest culprits of the sling tackle ffs, has been suspended 3 times for memory over it.
And how many times have the oppo immediately targeted Tex? I recall a missing jumper after 1 tackle

Remove this Banner Ad

Back