The Perth Thread - Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Did catching covid have a significant impact on the vast majority of people in WA and disrupt their ability to live?

The banning/restricting of elective surgery sure would be a major inconvenience for a lot of people who have been on waiting lists for years.
It sure did in other places.

On balance, you'd be a fool to argue the overall WA response since it began was not amongst the most optimal in the world.

I think this answers the issue in a nutshell

The government has no justification for it's emergency powers as covid. pre vax 20% of people fell very ill (80% a non event) and 1-2% died).

post vax with 99% at least first dose and 97% double; we have 200 in hospital and the least report I heard is 50% are the unvaxxed.

At rates similar to our normal flu and pneumonia deaths (even at covid's peak), it is hard to justify other than people are fearful. Some will say fear is justification of emergency powers but I would have thought the FACT and the reality TODAY is what should carry more weight. Especially if our government is responsible for that fear.

Missed the house chat 15 pages back. Ended up buying in Redcliffe, 10 mins to the airport, 15 mins to Perth, 25 mins to Scarborough/Trigg. Got a nice little pocket where everyone’s houses look well kept, only two s**t show houses near us and they are a few km’s away. Perfect spot to land a FIFO housemate as well.

Two armoured vehicles across a city as large in area as Perth is a bit pointless. No good dispatching a vehicle from Maylands for some emergency in Butler or Wellard. Surely they are just going to be used to ram into bikie HQs.

COVID restrictions are likely to ease further "in the coming weeks and months", though. So that's nice. :rolleyes:

Two armoured vehicles across a city as large in area as Perth is a bit pointless. No good dispatching a vehicle from Maylands for some emergency in Butler or Wellard. Surely they are just going to be used to ram into bikie HQs.

COVID restrictions are likely to ease further "in the coming weeks and months", though. So that's nice. :rolleyes:
Still the wait awhile state. 👍

lol after you’ve just finished selling me 8bil

This state prospered with tourism during lock down and it’s the sector that needs to review its practices when it comes to farm hands etc

This govt has its faults, some big ones in fact, but how it handled COVID wasn’t one of them. Just ask Twiggy and Gina and the retail and tourism industry that remained open long after its eastern counterparts were locked down and going into bankruptcy

People in this state lived the good life compared to others - you just need to peel back those blinkers a bit

You're delusional, tourism and business travel is off billions of dollars per year. Just because you or your mate couldn't book a room where you wanted, when you wanted that one time, it doesn't mean it's thriving.

I actually had all of the figures a couple of months ago. From memory, compared with pre COVID, the local or intrastate spend was up $800 million per year but the interstate and international spend was down $3.8 billion per year. That's a $3 billion hole, someone is missing out somewhere big time.

Those figures were from the Tourism WA website, they engaged an outside source to put the numbers together for them.

Changing topic... what's causing the undersupply of eggs to supermarkets? None at all at my local Woolies today and their typical shelf stock has been hovering around that level for quite a while now. Meanwhile most everything else in the supermarket has more or less normalised but eggs in particular they can't seem to maintain.

Egg suppliers prioritising commercial customers?

For whatever reason, during the east coast lockdowns people were eating less eggs so farmers reduced their flocks. They're now struggling to meet demands as they build their flocks again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Renewable energy is easy, it's transmission and storage that is difficult and costly.

Cars are pretty close in terms of performance. 500km from a charge in a Tesla Model 3 is not a whole lot different to 500km from a tank in a Camry.
Charge times, charging infrastructure etc. needs to catch up and of course a Tesla Model 3 still costs $70k and you can get a late model Camry for a fraction of that. When technology reaches the point that we have electric 4WDs that drive like LandCruisers that you can charge from a solar panel we won't be able to dig minerals out of the ground fast enough.

How about the panels on the cars themselves being solar panels?

How about the panels on the cars themselves being solar panels?

Or the windows. The technology will continue to evolve over the years.

I had 46 inch LCD TV that died and was replaced under warranty. It weighed about 25kg and was 3-4 inches thick. The replacement was bigger but thinner and 5kg lighter. Now an equivalent size and quality TV is an inch thick or less, weighs 8 or 9kg and costs less than the one I got 10 years ago. The same sort of advancements are happening in energy. Wasn't practical to lug around square metres of heavy solar panels and multiple lead acid batteries when you could just take a small generator and a 20L jerry can, now panels are getting smaller and more efficient, Li batteries a lot lighter (still very expensive) etc.

Or the windows. The technology will continue to evolve over the years.

I had 46 inch LCD TV that died and was replaced under warranty. It weighed about 25kg and was 3-4 inches thick. The replacement was bigger but thinner and 5kg lighter. Now an equivalent size and quality TV is an inch thick or less, weighs 8 or 9kg and costs less than the one I got 10 years ago. The same sort of advancements are happening in energy. Wasn't practical to lug around square metres of heavy solar panels and multiple lead acid batteries when you could just take a small generator and a 20L jerry can, now panels are getting smaller and more efficient, Li batteries a lot lighter (still very expensive) etc.
The top half of my LG 55 oled is about 5mm thick. It's actually makes it hard to move because all the width and weight is at the bottom with nowhere to hold the thing and it feels like you could easily snap the thing.

For whatever reason, during the east coast lockdowns people were eating less eggs so farmers reduced their flocks. They're now struggling to meet demands as they build their flocks again.

Supposedly the WA chooks weren't laying as many eggs during the long hot summer either, adding to the shortage.

Brand name bread (eg Helga's Abbott's) has been another one - understandable during the road/rail outage earlier this year, but last week they had nothing but home brand and gluten free bread in Woolies at Subiaco. Not sure what the excuse would be this time.

Supposedly the WA chooks weren't laying as many eggs during the long hot summer either, adding to the shortage.

Brand name bread (eg Helga's Abbott's) has been another one - understandable during the road/rail outage earlier this year, but last week they had nothing but home brand and gluten free bread in Woolies at Subiaco. Not sure what the excuse would be this time.

Just as an aside, during my last stint of hotel quarantine last year, I did my regular Woolies order when I arrived and ordered 3 loaves of Helgas white bread. When my order arrived, there was no Helgas, it had been substituted for a solitary loaf of Abbott's. I needed those extra two loaves because I had ordered bacon and eggs and ham and salad to make sangas. I sent an email and complained, saying that surely they had, had at least two more loaves of any white bread available in the store. Their response? Sorry, you can have $5 off your next order, no help to me, I needed those 2 loaves and the minimum order was $50 plus $15 delivery for orders under $100. I ordered those 2 loaves plus a heap of deodorant and toothpaste that was on special to get me up to the $50 threshold. In the end, those extra 2 loaves have cost me $67. campaigners, I wasn't happy.

Last edited:
Surely we don't import bread from the eastern states. Helga's is a Goodman Fielder brand and they shut the factory here, but I thought it was just made by Tip Top instead.

That's what I would've thought - three days off the 'best before' date before we even buy the stuff (if there's any to buy). Even if some/all of the brand name bread is brought in, why didn't Woolies have any last week - the road/rail disruption was over with weeks ago.

And as an aside - I thought I had a survey from Woolies this morning, so I was gonna let it rip, but it was a #%$#$# scam email.

Last edited:
Missed the house chat 15 pages back. Ended up buying in Redcliffe, 10 mins to the airport, 15 mins to Perth, 25 mins to Scarborough/Trigg. Got a nice little pocket where everyone’s houses look well kept, only two s**t show houses near us and they are a few km’s away. Perfect spot to land a FIFO housemate as well.
Just around the corner from a pub with no windows, opens early in the morning and has strippers from 10am too.

The Redcliffe>>>>>>anyone else's local shithole.

As of this Friday - mask mandate dropped except in settings like hospitals, airports and public transport. Close contact isolation requirements scrapped. No density limits in venues. G2G passes scrapped with real limits only on unvaccinated international arrivals.

279343864_545009173654599_7141976058386148177_n.jpg

Anyone had any recent experience at Perth Airport and can comment on how well it's currently operating? My sister is flying in from the UK tomorrow (via Singapore - arriving at T3) and I'm not sure how long I should allow for baggage collection etc when picking her up...

Have read some accounts of Oz airports being a bit understaffed and chaotic recently but I don't know how much of that is truth vs hyperbole.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back