Game Day The Prelims 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

The big criticism of Teague was no "Plan B".

Collingwood is exactly the same, just "Plan A", no "Plan B".

They just have a more experienced list and have had a lot of luck.

The Teague and Mcrae "Plan A" are very similar, it worked for coaches like Hardwick because he had three time Norm Smith Medallist Dustin Martin.

You need other ways to coach if you do not have a Dusty.

The mark is the goalsquare. Players know this. He ran way over it and you only usually get called back if you're already within it.

Makes no sense, Ginnivan man’s the mark after the Swans player kicks out, meaning he has to be more than 15m from the goal square, he’s about 20m away from goal.

A line across the entire ground from the top of the goalsquare.

This rule has been in play for at least a couple of years.

By that logic, I assume that if a player takes a mark on the goal line, the opposition is supposed to man the mark 9m away? More than 27 feet away? I dont see that happen, I see the umps make the man on the mark give the kicker a meter or two.

Ibe never seen the rule applied like this, I thought it was ridiculous.

Draw a line from 1 pocket to the other

I haven’t seen it applied like this and I’m still a little confused, ive more time than I can count players take a mark on the last line of defence and the man on the mark isnt made to stand 9m away.

Up until now Id only ever thought of the 9m rule being the line where you couldn’t rush a behind from.

By that logic, I assume that if a player takes a mark on the goal line, the opposition is supposed to man the mark 9m away? More than 27 feet away? I dont see that happen, I see the umps make the man on the mark give the kicker a meter or two.

You haven't been paying attention then. It happens all the time.

Can anyone explain the 50M penalty paid against Ginnivan to me? He didn’t go over the mark and is ages away from the goal square.

The bloke is ducking cheat who has ruined several games throughout the year through his cheating. It is embarrassment to their football club that someone hasn’t told him to pull his head in. One of my personal highlights of the season was when Redman ripped his head off and he didn’t get a free. He deserves every bad decision he gets.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Finally calmed down. That was too close and I needed my heart rate to come back down, but flower me these guys have ridden a surge of late, even the umpires at the SCG favoured them for most of the day. Ginnivan 50, even out about 20 other decisions - not.......

Well at least they always have the 1 point loss in missing out on the GF now. Hurts more than us missing out on the finals by the same margin.

It’s a moot point - but I thought we played a better last quarter in round 23 against pies than Sydney did tonight but we lost and they won 🤔
0.6 does that to you

I haven’t seen it applied like this and I’m still a little confused, ive more time than I can count players take a mark on the last line of defence and the man on the mark isnt made to stand 9m away.

Up until now Id only ever thought of the 9m rule being the line where you couldn’t rush a behind from.
You may not have watched football for the last couple of years? But, if you can find a single example of a player marking on the last line and not being brought back to the goal square, let us know. One single example in the past few years.

That rule has been applied hundreds of times over the last couple of years. Nothing controversial about it.

If the player encroaches from outside the 9m mark inside the 9m mark when there is a mark or other type of possesion it is 50m every time.

Yes. Noticed all year how Collingwood milk free kicks. Nick Daicos is a master of it. He’s also very good at waving his arms furiously to influence the umps into paying holding the ball to his teammates. Has worked very well for them this year.

1 point! Papley push in the back not paid, then he drops the mark…which is paid, then nailed the match winning goal. Doesn’t get any better than that..

Last edited:
hLost 2 finals by a kick, bullshit luck all season just could not continue, they were so far on one side of the balance of probabilities it was ridiculous
Yep, how the * you get that lucky to have Weitering injured early in match we also had no Harry McKay, then Walsh late out second time around? and both times result goes other way if that crazy luck not your way.
There is two results go other way, right there. I assume in some other close games I did not see that probably had some luck go their way.
So they so close to just an 11 or 12 win season and with some amazing luck and some good coaching by Macrae finished fourth with double chance.
So it was meant to be as in luck got them further than they probably should have got, but also the balance of it ran out to finish them off in actual finals themselves. Balance of probability just always sense would go back to some more normal transmission. It was a beautiful way of doing it though.
End of the day, Cats been the dominant team since Melbourne's early season form deserted them and with Melbourne out the Cats should win this and Swans a gallant runners up. Cats were only team all season where we never really got into the match against them. They deserve this seasons premiership. Everyone else destined just to be part of storyline.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back