The Premiership Standard - 100pts for, 86 pts against

Remove this Banner Ad

:!?:
So now you're ok with the Premiership Standard? :p
Absolutely. Aren't you convinced that Port Adelaide is closer to playing at a premiership level than Hawthorn?:!?:

Absolutely. Aren't you convinced that Port Adelaide is closer to playing at a premiership level than Hawthorn?:!?:
Aren't we all ? :p
Afterall, it's easier to be convinced of something if we want it to be true ;)

The premier almost always win a final in the previous year also.

That knocks a few teams out.

Leaves only North and WC right now I believe.

The premier almost always win a final in the previous year also.

That knocks a few teams out.

Leaves only North and WC right now I believe.
Geelong didn't even make the finals in 2006
But can't think of other examples off the top of my head

Currently Adelaide is the only team close to that 110-90 average. Probably not ready to win the premiership this year.

http://premiershipstandard.com/ has been updated

It's not about being close to the numbers.

It's scoring more than 100 per game AND conceding less than 86.

So scoring 130 and conceding 50 for example.

Adelaide currently don't meet that standard because you concede too many.

Geelong didn't even make the finals in 2006
But can't think of other examples off the top of my head

It's very rare.

Teams get close but it almost always holds up.

I'm perplexed that this sort of conditional stat has gained much credence. The "premiership standard" would only really mean something if achieving the standard meant you were pretty assured of a premiership.

100 points for and 86 against is a percentage of 116. Not that amazing a stat to say that a percentage of 116 gives you a shot at a flag.

It's self-evident, like saying - if you don't get in the top 4 on a percentage ladder, you can't make the Grand Final.

What it's really saying is that in hindsight, 14 of 15 flag (not all!) winning teams reached this minimum standard. And this standard is no different to saying "13 of 16 flag winning teams finished 1st or 2nd H&A" or "all Grand Finalists were in the top 4 percentage wise". It's self evident that you have to perform well to win a flag.

This "standard" is not really that high. And the analysis is certainly not "predictive" as it's being used. But it's a nice stat to show on a graph.

And that's one year out of 15.
Over 11 and 12, six teams met the standard that didn't make the GF.
A standard would suggest that if you get close to it, you are close to the result.
Yet twice in the last 3 years teams got very close to it, yet didnt even make the eight.

My opinion (and thats all it is) is that its a statistic, a nice one, but nothing more.

hahaha

You spent 1 page decrying it now it suits your purpose you love it. Funny stuff

hahaha

You spent 1 page decrying it now it suits your purpose you love it. Funny stuff
You really need to look up the definition of the word "sarcasm".

Very clearly (or so I thought) noted that Port is playing at closer to a premiership standard than Hawthorn, then highlighting that we won't play finals and Hawthorn will. (I.e. Wins more important than percentage)

Sorry for not being clear enough.

Hawthorn now officially meet the premiership standard.

At least for the next two weeks.

So look out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So going into the finals, Sydney, Geelong, Adelaide and GWS are all currently meeting the Premiership Standard. Interesting to see if the theory holds.
I am glad someone bumped the post. thanks for that
We're 99 for, 76 against.

Weird to think of us as not high scoring enough, but we've put in a few stinkers to bring the average down.
Yep 99 points. Ya one point short. Along with Ross Lyon, your team is racist to high scoring sides.

Also... I noticed hawthorn didnt fit that 100 points for and 86 points against requirements too.

So Champion Data has been tweeting some interesting stats. 14 of the last 15 premiers have averaged >100 points for and <86 points against. 14 of the last 15. The exception was 2001, however from Round 10 onwards the Lions averaged 80.6 points against, so fair to say they had a slow start.

Thought it might be interesting to keep an eye on this and see how it goes. Currently it looks like this:

Fremantle - 87.4 points FOR, 64.5 points AGAINST
West Coast -
105.1 points FOR, 68.5 points AGAINST
Sydney - 89.3 points FOR, 67.8 points AGAINST
Hawthorn - 110.1 points FOR, 72.1 points AGAINST
Collingwood - 98.5 points FOR, 77.4 points AGAINST

They're probably the main contenders at the minute. Interesting (to me at least) because statistical correlations like this over a lengthy period can usually be relied on. So is Ross Lyon still not scoring enough to finally win a flag?
Western Bulldogs side of 2016...
For: 1857 or 84.4 points a game

Against :1609 or 73.3 points a game

Yep premiership stats my a**

Well, if this statistical correlation can be ruled out then Fremantle are definitely out of the running under one I've kept an eye on for years which says "you can't win the flag without a previous premiership player in your side".

Last side to do it was North in '96. Below are (off the top of my head, so there may be additionals as well) the previous flag players for each side
97: Jarman
98: many from 97
99: many from 96
00: Fletcher
01: Pike
02: many from 01
03: many from 01/02
04: Wanganeen
05: Ball
06: Banfield
07: Mooney
08: Dew
09: many from 07
10: Jolly
11: many from 07/09
12: Goodes
13: many from 08
14: many from 08/13

Only teams with flag players currently on their list are: Adelaide, Brisbane, Carlton, COllingwood, Essendon, Geelong, Gold Coast, GWS Giants, Hawthorn, Melbourne, North Melbourne, St Kilda, Sydney, West Coast

Fremantle, Richmond, Bulldogs have no one and Port only have Cornes who has retired

2016 bulldogs side is the 1st side since Norths 1996 side vs sydney to win a flag without a premiership player.

They are the also the 1st team since 1971 hawks side vs the saints to be a team with no premiership players to beat a team with premiership playerals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back