Hot Topic The Pres, CEO & the Board

Remove this Banner Ad

I would still say all of them were at the very least well regarded before they came to us and have performed poorly.

But let’s take what you say on face value, that this isn’t the case and that they were poor appointments.

In business, where Boards set at least some of the cultural tone, and instigate many of the governance frameworks in which decisions are made, aren’t there still questions to be asked on how poor appointments (in your words) continue to be made? In other words, shouldn’t governance relations between the Board and the paid executive of the club be examined in this review?

I’m trying to say that in my view (where people have underperformed) and in your view (where poor appointments have been made), the answer is still the same:a review which at least considers the effective functioning of the board itself.

Fair point about the appointments, lets take Cameron Bruce for instance, seems very hard to believe he's coaching the forwards to run into each other trying to mark, not leading properly, Eddie Betts being the main marking target on more that one occasion? Stanton too surely he isn't instructing them to repeatedly bomb it in long to F50? Kicking to a lone forward surrounded by 3 players?

In those instances is it the assistant coaches, the players, Teague's game-plan?

Of course, I would hope a full A-Z of Carlton from board to football department, coaching panel, finance, fitness is done and we gain a full comprehensive knowledge of our failings, what we've done wrong and how to fix it and move forward.

Personally I'd like a new fresh board as we move forward as a club, but Pratt, Mathieson etc all got voted back in Feb, so we get what we get.

Are there limits on board tenures? Surely its 10-15 years, not in-perpetuity as long you keep getting voted in?

Only thing I thought was odd was Cain Liddle going from membership selling to CEO of a Football club, I mistakenly assumed at the time he had been Richmond's.

Cookie didn't know that there'd been a vote yet posted in the thread that gave details of it :rolleyes:

Totally agree with this. Comes off sounding a little unsophisticated in his approach here

Targetting 3 current board members, including the president, without a ticket behind you is not going to work. That said, what exactly is Jeanne Pratt's acumen? I don't even think Visy are contibuting anything noteworthy anymore, so why is she there?

And if you're going to target the president, you'd point to the handling of the Silvagni issue, rather than the fact he was hired then fired. People come and go from football clubs all the time. I wouldn't say Carlton has had it particularly bad. As far as coaches go:

Ratten (Kernahan era) - Was demonstrating a fairly one dimensional approach to coaching, but was probably scapegoated for an uncohesive list that was very limited in capacity (exposed evidence being only one player of this era remains on our list currently). In the end the spectre of being able to grab a coach with recent premiership success was too much for the board to resist

Malthouse (Kernahan era) - Make no mistake, a very good coach, but got the ass end of the list Ratten was already starting to struggle with. His problem was selling to our board that we were 5 minutes to midnight, when we couldn't be further from. Started to unravel when he realised midstream he couldn't live up to the expectations he set

Bolton (MLG era) - Gave a new coach with fresh ideas a go. Seemed the right man at the time. Board/Pres/CEO made the right decision to move on him at the right time. That's a tick for me. However rumoured lack of cohesion and dialogue with the list manager - something that manifested itself publicly after his departure. Thats the cross

Teague - Too early to call

I'm as harsh on MLG as anyone here, but I'm not going to hang him out for the coaching appointments - of which only 1 has 'failed' under his tenure. If we want to actually address decision making on the board - get more football people in there - who are genuinely invested in the club and understand what successful culture looks like. That's a yes to Fraser Brown from me - and a no to Chris Judd...

Look out it's the forum police...

tenor.gif

You're under arrest, the sentence is watching 7 hours of non-stop David Teague press conferences.

If I was the judge I'd be sentencing him to wearing his Carlton jumper while sitting with the Collingwood cheer squad for the rest of the year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Buried in a Herald Sun article from a couple of days ago (and I’m not tech savvy enough to be able to non paywall link) that we approached Jordan Lewis for a position on our Board: https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...s/news-story/870a8a0cf086393e0a643261b0b7e251
Yeah this is old news. He flat rejected the offer.

Board members have to be members of the club dont they!? And board members normally are Carlton people, supporters, benefactors and ex players.

Approaching Lewis and Leppa, shows they have absolutely no idea.

If they want those guys, you put them on the payroll with contracts, as assistants

Sent from my SM-N981B using Tapatalk

Yeah this is old news. He flat rejected the offer.

Board members have to be members of the club dont they!? And board members normally are Carlton people, supporters, benefactors and ex players.

Approaching Lewis and Leppa, shows they have absolutely no idea.

If they want those guys, you put them on the payroll with contracts, as assistants

Sent from my SM-N981B using Tapatalk

I think the qualification to stand for election is 2 years of membership generally but usually, there is provision within most constitutions to waive such conditions if the person is seen to be of value. There are no requirements to be a 'Carlton person' or supporter. That should have little bearing on being deemed suitable to sit on a board.

Last edited:
I think the qualification to stand for election is 2 years of membership generally but usually, there is provision within most constitutions to waive such conditions if the person is seen to be of value. There are no requirements to be a 'Carlton person' or supporter. That should have little bearing on being deemed suitable to sit on a board.
At carlton, its seems to be a prerequisite of being on TV and talk alot about nothing, but dress well, so to our board of consultants, its looks like he knows what he's talking about.

Its clear the board has no fking idea about football, perhaps business and inclusivity etc. but football? the board needs 2-3 football heads, Carlton heads only.

we dont have the FOOTY IQ as a club to appoint an inexperienced footy dept/coach, as it's unsupported above and below and either side
If true, the stupidity to even approach a current day commentator, from another club, for a *ing honorary role, speaks volumes

At carlton, its seems to be a prerequisite of being on TV and talk alot about nothing, but dress well, so to our board of consultants, its looks like he knows what he's talking about.

Its clear the board has no fking idea about football, perhaps business and inclusivity etc. but football? the board needs 2-3 football heads, Carlton heads only.

we dont have the FOOTY IQ as a club to appoint an inexperienced footy dept/coach, as it's unsupported above and below and either side
If true, the stupidity to even approach a current day commentator, from another club, for a f*n honorary role, speaks volumes

As for the bolded here, how is it clear to you that this is the case? What are your expectations?

Can you give me a description of what a footy head is? Does being a good business person preclude you from having any football knowledge?

Do you believe that people on the board know less about running a football club than we do on this forum? Either way what knowledge do you think a board member needs about football? What difference would you think that would make?

What is a Carlton head? Do you think you need to be a fanatical Carlton supporter to qualify for the board? We've had plenty of them in the past. The current President is one as well as others on the board, Kernahan was, you couldn't get someone that was more a Carlton person than him, John Elliot was a fanatical supporter.

Maybe you can just explain where you have a problem with the board currently, the same one that has the Club in the strongest position that it has been for the past two decades.

Why is it stupid to approach somebody who has played for another club to join the board if they have expertise in an area that we may benefit from?

I honestly don't understand where your angry ranting is justified in terms of the board performance.

Last edited:

Eligibility of person to be a Director

9.1A A person is eligible for election to the office of Director only if:
(a) the person is an Ordinary member of the Club, entitled to vote, and has been for at least 2 years;
(b) the person is not prohibited from acting as a Director under the Corporations Act 2001 (Cth();
(c) the person has complied with the nomination procedure set out in clause 9.3(b);
(d) the person satisfies any eligibility requirements for Directors of the Club as determined by the Board from time to time on the recommendation of the Independent Nominations Committee (Director Eligibility Criteria);
(e) if required, the person has received, or is not aware of any circumstances that would cause him or her not to receive, approval to act as a Director of the Club by:
(i) Responsible Alcohol Victoria, if required by the provisions of the Liquor Control Reform Act 1998 (Vic) as amended from time to time; or Constitution of Carlton Football Club 17
(ii) the Victorian Commission for Gambling Regulation if required by the Gaming Machine Control Act 1991 (Vic) or the Gambling Regulation Control Act 1991 (Vic) as amended from time to time.

As for the bolded here, how is it clear to you that this is the case? What are your expectations?

what do you reckon?

Can you give me a description of what a footy head is? Does being a good business person preclude you from having any football knowledge?

7 board of directors, 1 is the partner of a deceased former president, VP the other is the president (who has finished his term) another is a former player (who is stepping down) 1 is an incoming president The other one is a Barrister and an inclusive consultant.

A footy head is a colloquial descrption of someone that has played the game for our club at some stage and has administration experience around human resources , in or out of football

Do you believe that people on the board know less about running a football club than we do on this forum? Either way what knowledge do you think a board member needs about football? What difference would you think that would make?

a couple on here could quite easily step into that role unnoticed, That's not a compliment to either.

What is a Carlton head? Do you think you need to be a fanatical Carlton supporter to qualify for the board? We've had plenty of them in the past. The current President is one as well as others on the board, Kernahan was, you couldn't get someone that was more a Carlton person than him, John Elliot was a fanatical supporter.

For an honorary role, yes, the 2-3 directors (footy heads) needs to be a carlton people. Kernahan never wanted to be president, fell into that role temporarily, whilst Pratt had his ACCC trial. Rest is history. Elliot brought money, power, prestige, and 2 premierships - different era

Maybe you can just explain where you have a problem with the board currently, the same one that has the Club in the strongest position that it has been for the past two decades.

you're not a lawyer or cop are you? lol
there is not enough football acumen on that board at the moment,

Why is it stupid to approach somebody who has played for another club to join the board if they have expertise in an area that we may benefit from?

it's an honorary role. offered to a life member and premiership player of another club, with no connection to CFC
If he was offered a paid coaching role, thats different, as he is being remunerated for his skill and knowledge.

I honestly don't understand where your angry ranting is justified in terms of the board performance.

see above

we've discussed this before

Last edited:

If true, the stupidity to even approach a current day commentator, from another club, for a f*n honorary role, speaks volumes

Job of the board is to run the oversea the broader aspects of the clubs operations - this includes AFL, AFLW and VFL/VFLW sides - and look after its interests as specified in section 2 of the Clubs constitution.

Objects

2.1. The Club exists for the benefit of its supporters and the community. It seeks to serve this purpose by undertaking the following:

(a) In playing the game of AFL football, to provide its supporters with enjoyment, engagement, fulfilment and hope of success;
(b) By promoting the playing of AFL football in general;
(c) Through promoting the playing of AFL football by maintaining, providing, supporting and controlling a team or teams of Players bearing the name of the Carlton Football Club, or affiliating with another entity for the purposes of playing AFL football in the Victorian Football League, in any competition with other clubs primarily within Australia, but if necessary or desirable in the opinion of the Board, in any other part of the world;
(d) Through the playing and promotion of AFL football, to encourage participation by its supporters and the community generally in the sport of AFL football to improve health, fitness and well being;
(e) To promote health and fitness generally in the community by: (i) being positive role models; (ii) ensuring Players attend clinics within schools and at community events; (iii) providing access to the Club’s facilities for organised community groups;
(f) Making available the Club’s facilities to charitable, community, sporting, social and educational groups;
(g) By being actively involved in multi-cultural programs and introducing community groups of diverse backgrounds to the sport of AFL football and the positive benefits that it brings;
(h) To promote and actively support worthwhile causes including charitable organisations which can benefit from an association with, and assistance from, the Club;
(i) To promote environmental sustainability awareness and education to school groups and interested parties; (j) Through striving for success on a sustainable basis including the pursuit of premierships; and
(k) Any other activities that will provide benefit to the community to ensure that the Club can fulfil its purpose.

https://resources.carltonfc.com.au/...fb7-b531-ec16a88d7786/CarltonConstitution.pdf

To that end id suggest that its more important that the club ensures that the football managers at the club are experienced and knowledgeable football people. Certainly our business operations have been the best theyve been in some time, maybe at their best level ever and comms with the members and supporters are generally much better than they have been before.

Job of the board is to run the oversea the broader aspects of the clubs operations - this includes AFL, AFLW and VFL/VFLW sides - and look after its interests as specified in section 2 of the Clubs constitution.

Objects

2.1. The Club exists for the benefit of its supporters and the community. It seeks to serve this purpose by undertaking the following:

(a) In playing the game of AFL football, to provide its supporters with enjoyment, engagement, fulfilment and hope of success;
(c) Through promoting the playing of AFL football by maintaining, providing, supporting and controlling a team or teams of Players bearing the name of the Carlton Football Club, or affiliating with another entity for the purposes of playing AFL football in the Victorian Football League, in any competition with other clubs primarily within Australia, but if necessary or desirable in the opinion of the Board, in any other part of the world;
(d) Through the playing and promotion of AFL football, to encourage participation by its supporters and the community generally in the sport of AFL football to improve health, fitness and well being;
(e) To promote health and fitness generally in the community by: (i) being positive role models; (ii) ensuring Players attend clinics within schools and at community events; (iii) providing access to the Club’s facilities for organised community groups;
(f) Making available the Club’s facilities to charitable, community, sporting, social and educational groups;
(g) By being actively involved in multi-cultural programs and introducing community groups of diverse backgrounds to the sport of AFL football and the positive benefits that it brings;
(h) To promote and actively support worthwhile causes including charitable organisations which can benefit from an association with, and assistance from, the Club;
(i) To promote environmental sustainability awareness and education to school groups and interested parties; (j) Through striving for success on a sustainable basis including the pursuit of premierships; and
(k) Any other activities that will provide benefit to the community to ensure that the Club can fulfil its purpose.

https://resources.carltonfc.com.au/...fb7-b531-ec16a88d7786/CarltonConstitution.pdf

To that end id suggest that its more important that the club ensures that the football managers at the club are experienced and knowledgeable football people. Certainly our business operations have been the best theyve been in some time, maybe at their best level ever and comms with the members and supporters are generally much better than they have been before.

Objects

How did you get your handle in a bold blue box?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back