Certified Legendary Thread The Random Non Footy Chat Thread - General Non Footy talk PART 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back in 2005 there were very visible signs saying no photography or something of the like. Hence the covert operation to obtain said photo.

Perhaps the rules have been relaxed somewhat 10 years later?

Nice photo by the way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Flash photography actually ruins the paintings over time

1ply toilet paper shouldn't exist.

I wanted a nice feast tonight so I skimped on the 'other stuff' when I went down to woolies. Just picked the cheapest rolls of toilet paper to get me by. (The woolworths select ones)

Didn't realize it was only 1ply.
And it's like wtf is this. How am I supposed to wipe my ass with this!?

It all goes to shreds before it's even taken off the roll.

A monstrosity.

I wanted a nice feast tonight so I skimped on the 'other stuff' when I went down to woolies. Just picked the cheapest rolls of toilet paper to get me by. (The woolworths select ones)

A monstrosity.
Take it back, (the unused ones) and they'll give you a 100% refund.
Try Aldi.

A monstrosity.
Quilton 3 ply always for me and by the way, I am a folder not a scruncher. Which are you?:p

Quilton 3 ply always for me and by the way, I am a folder not a scruncher. Which are you?:p

I never knew you were so pretentious Maggie.... Quilton 3 ply AND a folder?!
I was born a scruncher and I will die a scruncher!

Take it back, (the unused ones) and they'll give you a 100% refund.
Try Aldi.

I know, but I'm not going back there just to take rolls of toilet paper back. That'd probably be one of the most embarrassing things I've ever done.
I'll suck it up and deal with the $3.30 I paid for them.

As the old saying goes.... You get what you pay for!

Still they shouldn't be allowed to sell such TRASH. :mad::mad::mad::mad: (Channeling my inner Dave)

A monstrosity.
There are certain things in life where I will not pay a lot of money for. Sugar for example. It's sugar for gods sake why would I buy a brand that is 5 dollars when the home brand stuff is 2 dollards.
Toilet paper in Turkey I always buy the cheapest. Have never come across 1 ply which as you rightly pointed out is criminal and also have never come across stuff which is not gentle on your bottom. I noticed in Aus I couldn't get away with just buying the cheapest as it was either 1 ply or felt like sandpaper.
Good luck with your endeavours at finding a suitable ply.

There are certain things in life where I will not pay a lot of money for. Sugar for example. It's sugar for gods sake why would I buy a brand that is 5 dollars when the home brand stuff is 2 dollards.
Toilet paper in Turkey I always buy the cheapest. Have never come across 1 ply which as you rightly pointed out is criminal and also have never come across stuff which is not gentle on your bottom. I noticed in Aus I couldn't get away with just buying the cheapest as it was either 1 ply or felt like sandpaper.

2ply usually works fine. But the prices of toilet paper can get ridiculous. Just looking today the most expensive ones were $14 for like 6 rolls.
Didn't even pay attention to what brand or what it was because it would have been a waste of my time, but If I was paying that much for toilet paper then I'd at least expect it to clean the kitchen for me as well.

Why do we pay so much for necessities in Australia?

Why do we pay so much for necessities in Australia?

I love doing price comparisons. Most things in Turkey seem cheaper than Australia but when you factor in the difference in average incomes it works out to either be not so cheap or relatively more expensive.

Some things that are dirt cheap in Aus compared to most countries I have been to.

Second hand cars
Petrol
Meat, milk, sugar, rice.

Some things which are a rip off

Fruit and veg (generally)
Cigarettes
Furnature
Tradesman

Oh, one out again. :(
I will not buy anything else but CSR raw sugar. Everything else tastes so differently.

I love doing price comparisons. Most things in Turkey seem cheaper than Australia but when you factor in the difference in average incomes it works out to either be not so cheap or relatively more expensive.

Some things that are dirt cheap in Aus compared to most countries I have been to.

Second hand cars
Petrol
Meat, milk, sugar, rice.

Some things which are a rip off

Fruit and veg (generally)
Cigarettes
Furnature
Tradesman

We're the most expensive country in the world to buy cigarettes and also confectionary in.
Granted, these aren't necessities so they can be overlooked.

However I think it does give some insight into the price of everything else as a whole... Taxes, our government loves Taxes.

When it comes to cigarettes, the price of cigarettes might deter people from starting smoking for the first time, but it affects current smokers in so many ways.

I personally do not smoke and by saying that I mean I don't smoke regularly. If I counted I'd say I've had about 15-20 cigarettes in the past year.
I don't go out of my way to buy cigarettes and have never had an urge to smoke but If I'm offered one while drinking with a couple of mates then I usually don't mind one or two. Smoking and drinking go well together like cheese and wine.
I was asked to buy a pack for them once, and I did out of my own money (just out of common courtesy, I always get shouted drinks and they don't mind giving up a cig).

I think it was like $38 for a 25 pack of Winfield Blue cigarettes at the servo across the road. Granted, these are servo prices, but woolies and co are only a few bucks cheaper.

So while I am not necessarily affected, one thing I have seen the ever rising price of cigarettes affect is my Grandparents.

Nan is 68 and Pop is 71. They have been smokers since the age of 14 and go for a smoke around once every half hour to an hour, which is drastically less than they used to smoke before the prices got too ridiculous for 2 pensioners. They used to smoke a pack of 50's a day between themselves.
They admit their smoking has become less due to the prices, but they will never quit.

What hurts the most is that they prioritize purchasing cigarettes in front of everything else. It's not uncommon to go there and see next to no food in the fridge, because as long as my grandfather has two things in life he is content. (Beer and Smokes)

This obviously has a drastic impact on the wider community as a whole. I can see families who are addicted to smoking buying cigarettes before anything else, even necessities, and the knockdown effect is maybe their kids don't have as much to eat or they can't enjoy themselves as much as they would if they didn't smoke.

This causes depression, economic instability, family issues, increased unemployment and increased crime with the bonus of having the Government receive more money due to taxes, less people (teenagers) starting smoking, and those who are smokers either try to quit or smoke less due to affordability.

I don't think it's a fair trade off and we'll see society suffer from it if it isn't already. Just like the relatively new 'sugar tax' which has seen chocolate bars in particular lose a great deal of size but the price of them go up.

If the government gives the population all of these vices and gets people addicted to them, then taxing them to oblivion is such an inhumane and wrong thing to do. But whatever makes them easy money hey.

Still that doesn't explain why I had to pay ******* $2.50 for a cucumber earlier....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We're the most expensive country in the world to buy cigarettes and also confectionary in.
Granted, these aren't necessities so they can be overlooked.

However I think it does give some insight into the price of everything else as a whole... Taxes, our government loves Taxes.

When it comes to cigarettes, the price of cigarettes might deter people from starting smoking for the first time, but it affects current smokers in so many ways.

I personally do not smoke and by saying that I mean I don't smoke regularly. If I counted I'd say I've had about 15-20 cigarettes in the past year.
I don't go out of my way to buy cigarettes and have never had an urge to smoke but If I'm offered one while drinking with a couple of mates then I usually don't mind one or two. Smoking and drinking go well together like cheese and wine.
I was asked to buy a pack for them once, and I did out of my own money (just out of common courtesy, I always get shouted drinks and they don't mind giving up a cig).

I think it was like $38 for a 25 pack of Winfield Blue cigarettes at the servo across the road. Granted, these are servo prices, but woolies and co are only a few bucks cheaper.

So while I am not necessarily affected, one thing I have seen the ever rising price of cigarettes affect is my Grandparents.

Nan is 68 and Pop is 71. They go for a smoke around once every half hour to an hour, which is drastically less than they used to smoke before the prices got too ridiculous for 2 pensioners. They used to smoke a pack of 50's a day between themselves.
They admit their smoking has become less due to the prices, but they will never quit.

What hurts the most is that they prioritize purchasing cigarettes in front of everything else. It's not uncommon to go there and see next to no food in the fridge, because as long as my grandfather has two things in life he is content. (Beer and Smokes)

This obviously has a drastic impact on the wider community as a whole. I can see families who are addicted to smoking buying cigarettes before anything else, even necessities, and the knockdown effect is maybe their kids don't have as much to eat or they can't enjoy themselves as much as they would if they didn't smoke.

This causes depression, economic instability, family issues, increased unemployment and increased crime with the bonus of having the Government receive more money due to taxes, less people (teenagers) starting smoking, and those who are smokers either try to quit or smoke less due to affordability.

I don't think it's a fair trade off and we'll see society suffer from it if it isn't already. Just like the relatively new 'sugar tax' which has seen chocolate bars in particular lose a great deal of size but the price of them go up.

If the government gives the population all of these vices and gets people addicted to them, then taxing them to oblivion is such an inhumane and wrong thing to do. But whatever makes them easy money hey.

Still that doesn't explain why I had to pay ******* $2.50 for a cucumber earlier....
The tax on cigarettes is a hoax. Govt's know that cigarettes are not a price sensitive product. i.e raising the price of them will not effect demand. So it is an easy way to get more cash. And you can make it acceptable by demonizing smokers. Brilliant.
The Turks are also complaining about how expensive cigarettes have become due to increased taxes. Pack of 20 is approximately 3 dollars. lol

Talking about cucumbers. In Turkey 1kg of Lebanese cucumbers (you wont find that other tasteless crap type of cucumber here, only the good stuff) is about 1 dollar. When it comes to fruit and veg in Aus someone along the chain from the farmer to the retailer must be making some big money.

25k posts tonight. The good news is that since joining BF I have matched my post count beer for beer.

Go Pies.
I vaguely remember a post early on when I had only recently joined big footy.
In that I mentioned you had 7K or so posts.
In that time your count has gone up by 18K and mine by 3K
But my beer count is 26 beers per post so I still have you covered there.

I can't fathom how anyone can scrunch their toilet paper.
It is beyond comprehension to me.
For me, this is a critical area when you MUST have complete control.
Scrunching just takes away that control and lends itself to things like, paper breakthrough, inconsistent wiping/cleaning, and lastly the dreaded brown finger.

Folding and control of your TP all the way for me. It's the only way!

I can't fathom how anyone can scrunch their toilet paper.
It is beyond comprehension to me.
For me, this is a critical area when you MUST have complete control.
Scrunching just takes away that control and lends itself to things like, paper breakthrough, inconsistent wiping/cleaning, and lastly the dreaded brown finger.

Folding and control of your TP all the way for me. It's the only way!
Sorry PP you are wrong.
Scrunching increases surface area and basically creates a paper scourer, insuring efficiency in cleaning.
Your creating a smooth surface which dare I say just smooths over the area.
Scrunching rules.

When I first learned English, I enjoyed discovering a new word everyday.

I was reading someone's tweet today and they used the words 'guffaw' and 'chortle' in the one sentence.

Hadn't heard or seen those words for years and think they are two great words to describe laughing.

Cooked a lamb Vindaloo in the slow cooker, made the paste myself.

Paste was:
fennel Seeds tsp
Garam Massala tsp
Tumeric tsp
Cloves tsp
Corriander tsp
Cumin tsp
Yellow Mustard seeds 1.5 tblsp
Black Pepper 1 tblsp
6 Garlic Cloves.
Small bit of ginger.
3 red chillies.
Pinch of Ceyene Pepper.
Pinch of Cinnamon.
White Vinegar 2 tblsp
Olive Oil 2 tblsp

Crunch all ^^^ with a morta and pestal, grind it into a paste.

Then brown 1 onion on the wok, put in the slow cooker.
Brown eggplant... to the slow cooker.
Cook the paste in Wok for a minute or two then to the slow cooker.
Dice up the lamb shank so it's bite size chunks, brown in wok then to the slow cooker.

Add 1 can of crushed tomatoes to the slow cooker.
Add 1 and half cups of beef stock.

Slow cook for a 4-6 hours,
Towards the end add green peas, or if you want chickpeas, kidney beans whatever and then you have yourself a bad arse Vindaloo!!!

Best dish I've ever made.

Last edited:
i've watched the soccer for 10 minutes....geez... i would argue that a state of origin game against the Allies has got more atmosphere. Evidently the king has got new clothes and people went to the MCG to see them....

Cooked a lamb Vindaloo in the slow cooker, made the paste myself.

Paste was:
fennel Seeds tsp
Garam Massala tsp
Tumeric tsp
Cloves tsp
Corriander tsp
Cumin tsp
Yellow Mustard seeds 1.5 tblsp
Black Pepper 1 tblsp
6 Garlic Cloves.
Small bit of ginger.
3 red chillies.
Pinch of Ceyene Pepper.
Pinch of Cinnamon.
White Vinegar 2 tblsp
Olive Oil 2 tblsp

Crunch all ^^^ with a morta and pestal, grind it into a paste.

Then brown 1 onion on the wok, put in the slow cooker.
Brown eggplant... to the slow cooker.
Cook the paste in Wok for a minute or two then to the slow cooker.
Dice up the lamb shank so it's bite size chunks, brown in wok then to the slow cooker.

Add 1 can of crushed tomatoes to the slow cooker.
Add 1 and half cups of beef stock.

Slow cook for a 4-6 hours,
Towards the end add green peas, or if you want chickpeas, kidney beans whatever and then you have yourself a bad arse Vindaloo!!!

Best dish I've ever made.

Yum! I might move this - or copy - to the food and wine thread in The Nest

Billy Brownless on the FS has just said something that was very inappropriate.........love you Billy but that was dumb.

The wife and I at the same time said how bad his comment was.........not even Sammy would have said that.

Billy Brownless on the FS has just said something that was very inappropriate.........love you Billy but that was dumb.

The wife and I at the same time said how bad his comment was.........not even Sammy would have said that.

Don't leave us hanging...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back