The Real GWS (Club AFL) Academy Advantage 2017 Spelt Out

Remove this Banner Ad

The thing is, the AFL tries to tell everyone it's just a development academy for rural areas and growing the game... BS!!!

Then why do they have an academy which sits in an area that is close to Victoria with its own TAC cup squad?

If the whole intention is to grow the game, then why not let all the Victorian clubs do the same in regions like the Riverina? Why only GWS/Sydney?

They want GWS to be a powerhouse and they won't stop gifting them and Sydney number one and top five draft picks until they have won several premierships we all get it.

The AFL can at least not treat clubs and supporters like idiots and try to claim its about developing regions, when it's not the slightest bit true.

The thing is, the AFL tries to tell everyone it's just a development academy for rural areas and growing the game... BS!!!

Then why do they have an academy which sits in an area that is close to Victoria with its own TAC cup squad?

If the whole intention is to grow the game, then why not let all the Victorian clubs do the same in regions like the Riverina? Why only GWS/Sydney?

They want GWS to be a powerhouse and they won't stop gifting them and Sydney number one and top five draft picks until they have won several premierships we all get it.

The AFL can at least not treat clubs and supporters like idiots and try to claim its about developing regions, when it's not the slightest bit true.
Nice rant.
10 for effort
7 for execution
3 for correct information

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Nice rant.
10 for effort
7 for execution
3 for correct information

I'm sure the Giants and Sydney wouldn't mind then if other clubs help them out with developing regions bordering Victoria such as the Riverina which is in need of strong development. After all it's about developing the game right?

I'm sure the Giants and Sydney wouldn't mind then if other clubs help them out with developing regions such as the Riverina which is in need of strong development. After all it's about developing the game right?
Not at all. There are a ton of developing areas that could do with academies.

Go find one without an academy and do it. Ive always said all clubs should have their own.

Not at all. There are a ton of developing areas that could do with academies.

Go find one without an academy and do it. Ive always said all clubs should have their own.

And the Riverina area isn't one of them.

All for developing the game in rural non football areas, but this isn't the case for a lot of spots the AFL has given Sydney/GWS.

And the Riverina area isn't one of them.

All for developing the game in rural non football areas, but this isn't the case for a lot of spots the AFL has given Sydney/GWS.

Yes it is. Before us they hadnt had a top or even regular picks in the last 20 years

Umm Sydney? Really. You need to look up exactly where academies are and not rely on Eddie and the VFL media.

Yes it is. Before us they hadnt had a top or even regular picks in the last 20 years

Umm Sydney? Really. You need to look up exactly where academies are and not rely on Eddie and the VFL media.

By media you mean I should stop listening to recruiters? Yes I'm sure your more educated than they are on the matter. I have heard several state GWS/Sydney have academies in strong football areas that don't need developing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Believe me we wonder to.

Without us who would you lot bitch about.

It's like when humanity unites to take on the aliens in the movies. You give us common cause and unity that didn't exist previously.

So...thanks?
What we desperately need is a strong presence in Western Sydney.

You could get your club to give the money back they derive from a NATIONAL TV rights deal.

Oh ... How some forget.

So it's not national until there's a team in West Sydney? Even though there was already one in Sydney and there is none in the State of Tassie or the Northern Territory?

It either already was national or it still isn't. Until GWS actually attracts people in WS to watch the game they're of no more use than a team in Tassie getting the same people to watch but providing an extra game a round to air.

Last edited:
By media you mean I should stop listening to recruiters? Yes I'm sure your more educated than they are on the matter. I have heard several state GWS/Sydney have academies in strong football areas that don't need developing.

I would love to know what "strong football areas" that "don't need developing" the Swans have an academy in? Until you can point them out the "recruiters" your listening to have the same idea on this subject as you do. None.

The Riverina certainly but the Murray Region has been a successful area of development in that time for high end picks. Even regular picks after the 1st Round as well.

A Brownlow Medal winner in Shane Crawford taken at Pick 13 from Finley, likewise a Number 1 Pick and Rising Star award winner in Justin Koschitzke from Albury. All-Australian 40 man Squad ruckman in Hamish McIntosh from Lavington taken at Pick 9 and Tom Hawkins taken under the old F/S system was considered a Top 3 pick.

By all means keep the Riverina but the Murray Region has to go as that is a double up on what is already there with the TAC Cup programs with the Murray Bushrangers and the local clubs who fall under the Football Victoria banner.

They got 10 picks listed.
Current order of draft it is showing GWS have picks 2, 15, 37, 39, 45, 52, 55, 57, 58 and 59.

The GWS advantage is beyond laughable - the AFL have a hell of a lot back peddling to do now!

It is interesting trying to follow what is going on exactly between AFL and GWS.
They had two picks in top 20 but in reality end up getting four picks from top 20 from a club that was closest to beating premiership team in finals series.
They end up using 6 picks but were allowed access to 10 picks with bidding points value to get ahead of other clubs in the draft cue that need earlier picks more.

It is interesting you finish bottom 5 but your picks bumped back further in cue bit by bit so you end up with a pick not really in line with the equalising policies that were origins of draft orders.

GWS first six picks were originally 2,10, 37, 39, 45 & 52
In reality they had their picks as 2, 5, 14, 20, 54 & 58
So they were 10th in cue but jumped ahead of 5 more club picks.
Then jumped 23 spots up for their third pick and 19 spots for their fourth pick.
In all they got given fours picks in top 20.
Am I jealous of all their gifts that just keep on giving ? Bloody oath.
Well done Giants. Can only work the system to best of your ability and they doing it very well.

Having said all that, from the look of the player we got after they took Setterfield when we had that 5th pick originally, we look to have an exciting talent taken when we were pushed back to pick 6.

just for the record what kids have GWS drafted from their academy who are NOT froth Riverina.

if it;s all about developing talent that otherwise would not have been developed and a function of GWS work shouldntthe spread of talent drafted be relatively even across the population accessible by GWS.

there is none in the State of Tassie or the Northern Territory?

You are missing some key points - MAJOR AFL revenue sources are TV Rights and Sponsorship ... speaking from experience you look at audience size.

I would happily give up NT & Tasmania to gain a strong foothold in the West Sydney Market.

It either already was national or it still isn't.

On that logic I cant wait to see Bendigo, Mt Gambier, Albury, Cairns etc have their teams in the competition.

Like it or not its all about the $$$$ the AFL can derive from TV rights & Sponsorship.

But keep going I cant take you seriously until the supporters of a team are funding their own team not the AFL via TV rights & Sponsorship. Lets be honest there are too many teams in Victoria - 2 or 3 have to go.

It was a statement of fact from myself. Pretty straightfoward actually.

The non stop posts and threads by these individuals speak for themselves.

And you and a number of other GWS posters can't handle criticism. I understand you are sticking up for your club but when you chose to refuse the blatant handputs by the AFL to make sure GWS become a powerhouse in a desperate attempt to boost membership and grow the game then you can't be taken seriously.

Longest sentence I've ever typed lol

Remove this Banner Ad

Back