Analysis The Real Mid-Season Review 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Going slightly "off piste" (Im sure you Canberrans know all about that)...

Naughts. Yes it's all very well and good that hes a serious marking target forward and can kick goals (btb his goal kicking and goal kicking range has genuinely surprised me).

But, hes also a very defender. Depends a bit on your philosophy I suppose but I believe you should build from middle to back to forward in that order.

More than happy with the midfield talent we have.

But the back six and with Naughts forward we are bereft of a quality tall back. And Naughts is quality....Scarlett quality and can we imagine Scarlett forward, or more to the point, not in the backline.

Again it depends on your philosophical bent of building a team, but I think our team would act and play more assertively and confidently with Naughts back, as I imagine the Cats did back then and West Coast do now with McGovern. Hes on the threshold of entering that league as a defender in my view.

I suggested in another thread that if he plays back and hes busy then we're at least in good hands. If he's not busy then as a team were probably having a day out. But if he's forward and not busy then were getting pumped and a team member capable of arresting a slide is at the very least under utilised and more likely impotent.

Its a change (back) I'd like to see. The goals will then take care of themselves....
You have an ally on this NW. Not (yet) a popular view though.

And yes, I do know what off piste means. I've been detoxing since Sunday. Will probably get back on it this weekend though. :drunk:

Going slightly "off piste" (Im sure you Canberrans know all about that)...

Naughts. Yes it's all very well and good that hes a serious marking target forward and can kick goals (btb his goal kicking and goal kicking range has genuinely surprised me).

But, hes also a very defender. Depends a bit on your philosophy I suppose but I believe you should build from middle to back to forward in that order.

More than happy with the midfield talent we have.

But the back six and with Naughts forward we are bereft of a quality tall back. And Naughts is quality....Scarlett quality and can we imagine Scarlett forward, or more to the point, not in the backline.

Again it depends on your philosophical bent of building a team, but I think our team would act and play more assertively and confidently with Naughts back, as I imagine the Cats did back then and West Coast do now with McGovern. Hes on the threshold of entering that league as a defender in my view.

I suggested in another thread that if he plays back and hes busy then we're at least in good hands. If he's not busy then as a team were probably having a day out. But if he's forward and not busy then were getting pumped and a team member capable of arresting a slide is at the very least under utilised and more likely impotent.

Its a change (back) I'd like to see. The goals will then take care of themselves....

I understand the reasoning but the counter (and my opinion),

Why don’t we just back our gun midfield to win in the middle and have him forward to capitilise. Switch him back if our midfield is down.

We need another gun KPP though. If we had another quality KPF we could then at least consider Naughts back if need be.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back