The Round 1 2019 team thread...

Remove this Banner Ad

Nash brings a great amount of ferocity in his tackles and endeavour, I'm just not sure we see enough of it over the course of a match for him to occupy one of the tall slots. When you add into that he's not a good mark even matched up on smalls and a pretty awful kick of the footy, it's hard for me to select him.

Yep, he is a passenger that we can't afford at the moment.

If TOB gets selected it's simply stubbornness on Clarko's part, it would be him not wanting to concede defeat on a players we've invested plenty of time and games into.

You could very well be correct, or perhaps he's seen something that we haven't.

I'm not sure what that may be, because I'm losing patience with him too, however there must be something there.

Surely?

Last edited:

I'm not sure what that may be, because I'm losing patience with him to, however there must be something there.

Surely?

I'm not sure what he does in training but we certainly don't see it on match days at AFL level, at some point he's got to deliver if he wants to stay on the list, he's on the cusp of turning 25 and has been gifted just shy of 50 games.

If TOB gets selected it's simply stubbornness on Clarko's part, it would be him not wanting to concede defeat on a players we've invested plenty of time and games into.

I'd rather play Scrimshaw than TOB and see what he can do.

I'm not sure what that may be, because I'm losing patience with him to, however there must be something there.

Surely?

There may be something there but it's not an AFL level player. He's shown that he's not up to it time and time again.

I'm not sure what he does in training but we certainly don't see it on match days at AFL level, at some point he's got to deliver if he wants to stay on the list, he's on the cusp of turning 25 and has been gifted just shy of 50 games.

I think that a big part of it was being drafted to a side that was flush for KPP at either end, thus getting games on an inconsistent basis, at both ends of the ground.

It would have definitely hindered his development, however I do agree that he should have shown much more than he has so far.

I guess the question is, if he doesn't show rapid improvement, how much longer will Clarko keep him on the list.

He's shown glimpses, but nothing more and not on a consistent enough basis for my liking.

However, he's still part of the list and although supporters may be justifiably upset with his output, they should still show him some respect.

If not as a player, then as a person.

Just my thoughts.

Its a good thing clarko didnt give up on sicily in the backline that easily. Once we head down a path we need to give it a chance. Now tob played a pretty good game against brisbane the week before. Then lined up on Riewoldt a steep learning curve he was not up to it but does he play on Riewoldt every week?

I seem to remember 2 years ago TOB was one of a group of SA hawks who handed Adelaide their asses at feral park.

That was in their grand final year I think

Nash didn’t offer much as a forward in the two JLT games. I can’t see him playing Round 1. O’Brien is a terrible defender and should be depth in case of injury/suspension.

B: Stratton, Frawley, Hardwick

HB: Scrimshaw, Brand, Sicily

C: Henderson, Shiels, Smith

HF: Impey, Gunston, Burgoyne

F: Breust, Roughead, Puopolo

R: McEvoy, O’Meara, Worpel

INT: Cousins, Ceglar, Morrison, Minchington

the round 1 team is pure speculation because we dont know the bias or POV that the selection committee will have, will they select the veterans based on past performances, will they select the new guys hoping for different results and fresh faces, will they select the team based on form in the pre-season, or for structural reasons?. i guess we will have to wait and see.

i believe theres a group of players that they will have to comb through and find the best balance going into round 1, these are the players vying for a regular starting 22 position as i see it

Defender Starters: Frawley, Stratton, Hardwick, Sicily, Impey (5)
Defender Possibles: Brand, Mohr, Birchall(inj?), Miles, Mirra, Scrimshaw, Jiath, Greaves

Midfield Starters: O'Meara, Shiels, Smith, Worpel, Scully(inj?), Henderson, McEvoy, Ceglar (8) Mitchell-season
Midfield Possibles: Morrison, Cousins, Howe, Golds, Jones

Forward Starters: Roughead, Gunston, Burgoyne, Breust, Puopolo, Wingard(inj?) (6)
Forward Possibles: Schoenmakers, Lewis, Nash, Minchington, D.Moore, Walker

Players developing/BHH: Ross, Hanrahan, O'Brien, Kosi, Glass, Pittonet

i feel as though 19 of our players pick themselves(+Mitchell injured and Birchall unknown form), the rest will be used as form dictates, or it should. with 3 injuries that number goes to 16 for round 1 as far as i know, but you never know with HFC hiding injuries from everyone.

with a core of - Frawley, Stratton, Hardwick, Sicily, Impey, O'Meara, Shiels, Smith, Worpel, Henderson, McEvoy, Ceglar, Roughead, Gunston, Burgoyne, Breust, Puopolo we should be alright against the crows, just add 6 of the up and coming players to that group

the front runners to fill those 6 spots would be from: KPD - Brand/Mohr, General Def - Miles/Mirra/Scrimshaw, Mids - Morrison/Cousins/Howe/Golds (2 spots), KPF - Schoey/Lewis/Nash, General Forw - Minchington/Moore/Walker.

with Miles, Golds and Greaves playing well for BHH against Richmond, they also put their hats in the ring for a round 1 spot.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its a good thing clarko didnt give up on sicily in the backline that easily. Once we head down a path we need to give it a chance. Now tob played a pretty good game against brisbane the week before. Then lined up on Riewoldt a steep learning curve he was not up to it but does he play on Riewoldt every week?
it was the poor tackle attempt on Butler late in the game that was really disappointing for me. Should have had him for all money, but it was about the laziest thing I've seen him do on a football field.

Chad was talking about getting new ink on Instagram yesterday. Let’s hope he’s wanting new artwork for the r1 show ;)

Yeah, was asking for suggestions on tattoo parlours in Melbourne, unfortunately the only good one I know is Tattoo Hut in Bali.

Aussie owned and the resident tattooist there, Jony is a dead set machine.

B: Stratton, Frawley, Hardwick

HB: Scrimshaw, Brand, Sicily

C: Henderson, Shiels, Smith

HF: Impey, Gunston, Burgoyne

F: Breust, Roughead, Puopolo

R: McEvoy, O’Meara, Worpel

INT: Cousins, Ceglar, Morrison, Lewis

This is it. But I reckon Nash over Lewis.

Yes I agonised over Nash vs Lewis.
Went for Lewis because of his marking power and I also thought he deserved a game. Has improved on last year.
I have always loved Nash but I am not sure he has improved on last year. Love his pace and his pressure/tackling. Kicking and marking need improvement.

Yes I agonised over Nash vs Lewis.
Went for Lewis because of his marking power and I also thought he deserved a game. Has improved on last year.
I have always loved Nash but I am not sure he has improved on last year. Love his pace and his pressure/tackling. Kicking and marking need improvement.

Lewis ain’t ready. Will be blowing after half time and this game will be red hot.

it was the poor tackle attempt on Butler late in the game that was really disappointing for me. Should have had him for all money, but it was about the laziest thing I've seen him do on a football field.
Yep plenty of bad plays no one disputes it mate.

I was advocating for him to be given a good run early at CHB. And judging by JLT2 it seems both him and Brand were given an opportunity for that spot.

But, with the pressure for a spot on, O'Brien was simply awful. Sure Riewoldt took him apart, but he lost his feet in marking contests, go stepped far too easily when he had to hold a tackle, and kicked the ball with no pressure out on the full.

I just don't feel he responds well under pressure.

Yep plenty of bad plays no one disputes it mate.
Mistakes I can live with, everyone makes skill errors. But an effort error like that when a game is on the line (I know only JLT) and with your spot up for grabs, the worst thing you can do is not put in the effort. And that is exactly what he did. For all of the good work and credits he might have earned in the Brisbane game, that effort alone should have wiped it all out.

Mistakes I can live with, everyone makes skill errors. But an effort error like that when a game is on the line (I know only JLT) and with your spot up for grabs, the worst thing you can do is not put in the effort. And that is exactly what he did. For all of the good work and credits he might have earned in the Brisbane game, that effort alone should have wiped it all out.

Point me to the minute mark where he wasn't making an effort so I can go and watch it. It didn't see it.

What i did see is that we pulled Worpel and O'Meara out of the middle in the third and we got killed on clearances and, as a result, the backline was getting hammered. In addition, I saw that Sicily was pulled as well so that Richmond's flow into their forward line was less disrupted. Scrimshaw spent much of the time out of his position as well.

I'm convinced that most people here miss 80% of what goes on during an AFL game, looking at the play instead as an 'Old Boys' league where you kinda play a position and run around a bit. In an AFL match if one guy in the backline is continually defending every entry then the odds are high that someone has fallen over upfield and are giving the opposition too much space to think. Yes, Frawley did very well on Riewolt but he had a lot of help. Riewolt was hardly a target in the first half because the Richmond midfield had no time think and were continually bombing to the forward line (which Hawthorn anticipated so well, often having a free man just hanging in the likely Richmond target space). In the second half, and particularly the third quarter, Riewolt was continually getting hit on the lead. Richmond's midfield had time and space to look up and deliver on target and so our backline got hammered.

The thing to remember about that game is that both squads went the A game in the first half and Hawthorn dominated Richmond. Hawthorn's defense stopped all the flow in Richmond's game, making the Tiger's really struggle to get the ball forward with any pace (just as the BH Hawks did against Brisbane in the first half). Likewise, Hawthorn's fluid forward game was impressive. Good options continually presented themselves and every forward movement looked dangerous, despite Breust laying an egg with the pill.

In the second half Richmond stuck with their A game while Hawthorn moved on, switching position all over the field to see what happened. The third saw Richmond's top midfield clean up a hodgepodge of a Hawthorn midfield and the rest of the game hung off that. In the fourth a couple of adjustments were made (O'Meara appeared again) and it evened out a bit. But Hawthorn didn't go back to the A game in the fourth. Richmond ran their top configuration until about the 10 minute mark of the fourth, particularly in the midfield, when they finally took Martin off.

I believe that if you look at the JLT series as a whole, you'll see a Hawthorn well set to do get some good results this year. The system is strong. If the midfield can break even, the system will give us the edge. I'm feeling pretty confident and see no need to go beating on players at this point.

If our team is to be selected from the squad that played Richmond, this is where I think we line up:

Brand - Frawley - Stratton
Impey - Sicily - Hardwick
Smith - Shiels - Henderson
Burgoyne - Lewis - Bruest
Puopolo - Roughead - Ceglar

McEvoy - O'Meara - Worpel

Cousins - Morrison - Scrimshaw - Nash

O'Brien, Moore, Hanrahan and Mirra to miss from the Tigers squad

If Gunston is fit, likely swap with Nash, but I'm getting a little sceptical he'll be fit for round one. Wingard already ruled out, and Scully / Birchall aren't ready as yet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back