The Salary Cap floor is too high

Remove this Banner Ad

Couldn't agree more! It is counter intuitive to FA when the bottom teams have to pay almost as much in the cap as the top sides. How can they attract top end FA's if they don't have any more room in the cap than the top sides - eg Jeremy Cameron going to Geelong (just an example)
Because they become Fitzroy who couldn’t attract anyone at the end and become obsolete.

95% should be the long term avg bottom but teams should be allowed to go as low as 90% for 1 year to bank cash for a big FA push.

It is riduclous that mediocre players have to get paid as much as good players.
Fair call but, that is sport. Keep getting those cheques.

They are all good players to get to the level. If they find themselves in the opportune position position then happy hays. Plenty don’t and retire to become a tradie. Best wishes to them. Players association will ensure that every play has the capacity to maximise their earning potential. If a play is happy to be highly paid on a bad team, best wishes to them.

There will always be players who want to earn less to win a flag. Life has checks and balances.

Seems like the AFL is slowly following the NBAs lead on what you have mentioned.

So here's a random scenario. North have pick 2. North ask for money. 2 million in cash for pick 2. Would a team like your side accept that offer?

I wouldn't think so, but the scenario I am looking at would be more North trading their cap space in exchange for a pick.

So that cheap clubs don’t bottom out ridiculously to maximise the draft prospect and maintain a fair pay environment. If the PA didn’t like it, it wouldn’t be there.

Of course the PA loves it - utter hacks get paid massive overs so every team can meet their floor.

I don't really understand the floor. If clubs lowball players, they'll leave for greener pastures. As long as the cap is in place, I don't understand the benefit of having a floor.

I've saw that it was suggested earlier that the gap would widen between the rich/poor clubs if there was no floor, but I would have thought the incentive of being competitive would mean that the poorer clubs would still pay 90-95% of the cap anyway.

I don't really understand the floor. If clubs lowball players, they'll leave for greener pastures. As long as the cap is in place, I don't understand the benefit of having a floor.

I've saw that it was suggested earlier that the gap would widen between the rich/poor clubs if there was no floor, but I would have thought the incentive of being competitive would mean that the poorer clubs would still pay 90-95% of the cap anyway.
The floor was there to ensure that teams couldn't underspend themselves into obscurity to reduce debt. Which is really a non issue now that the AFL has their fingers in almost every club's pie / pay anyway.

Remove the floor and bring true value back to a players worth. Allow s**t teams to play stars 2m a year and stop FAs moving to premiers.

Keep the salary cap levels the same as they are now

But allow teams to trade/sell cap space to other teams

And allow players salaries to be extended passed their playing days similar to how baseball do it in America. For example Geelong sign Higgins now and pay him $200k per year for 2 years until he retires and then have him get paid $50k a year for the next 4 years after he has retired that is included in future years salary caps

And allow players salaries to be extended passed their playing days similar to how baseball do it in America. For example Geelong sign Higgins now and pay him $200k per year for 2 years until he retires and then have him get paid $50k a year for the next 4 years after he has retired that is included in future years salary caps
What? Yeah nah.

What? Yeah nah.
why not?

rather than a bottom team say North in 2021 overpaying players to get to the minimum spend in their cap they can trade that space for draft picks or draft upgrades which helps them out long term.

why not?

rather than a bottom team say North in 2021 overpaying players to get to the minimum spend in their cap they can trade that space for draft picks or draft upgrades which helps them out long term.
Because theoretically it could lead to certain teams entering into beneficial commercial arrangements off-field that lead them to farm off cap-space on field to competitors, creating an uneven competition.

No team should be able to pay their players more than the cap. The only difference is where other clubs pay some of a players salary, as that's punishment of rhte original clubs stupidity and doesn't really help the new club as the player isn't often worth the money they were being paid by the other.

Because theoretically it could lead to certain teams entering into beneficial commercial arrangements off-field that lead them to farm off cap-space on field to competitors, creating an uneven competition.

No team should be able to pay their players more than the cap. The only difference is where other clubs pay some of a players salary, as that's punishment of rhte original clubs stupidity and doesn't really help the new club as the player isn't often worth the money they were being paid by the other.
Teams can bank salary cap space already so I don't see it as a big issue

But look the idea isn't without it flaws, I acknowledge that

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As a North fan, do you want to have the salary cap floor to be as low as 90%?

Again, thats potientially 1.3 million in yor teams pocket to pay off debts. thats how i see it.

As a North fan, do you want to have the salary cap floor to be as low as 90%?

Again, thats potientially 1.3 million in yor teams pocket to pay off debts. thats how i see it.

I think the salary cap floor should be 0%. Maybe I'm just not smart enough to understand, but I would think that as long as we have a salary cap maximum, each team would end up spending something similar just to remain competitive.

I can't think of a better way to make sure that a handful of super clubs evolves and sits at the top forever.

The top Clubs already have a massive advantage by being at the top. They make more money, which means they have better facilities and better staff. They are not only a desired destination for FAs and out of contract guns - they can also usually pay the incoming gun less as a trade off for success.

So we add to that by creating a way for them to get more salary cap room as well? SO they can be more successful and make more money and be a more desirable destination?

Nah.

Already happening really, just not called that.

If a Club wants to do a Franklin to Sydney type raid, I'd suggest it's better to make them continue to burn a list space as well as the cash in the back years.

Think it really needs to be a tiered system to avoid it being used to manipulate it. with some sides sliding down for just 1 year
2 years bottom 4 can bank extra 3 %
3 years extra 4%
4 years extra 5%
over 5 years 8%

Maximum banked $3 mil

I think the salary cap floor should be 0%. Maybe I'm just not smart enough to understand, but I would think that as long as we have a salary cap maximum, each team would end up spending something similar just to remain competitive.
Why should it be 0?

Are you trying to go full north Korea and starve all your players and staff and keep all the money to yourself? LoL

Why should it be 0?

Are you trying to go full north Korea and starve all your players and staff and keep all the money to yourself? LoL

I would think the need to be competitive for most clubs would prevent them doing this. That's why I don't get the need to have the floor. No club wants to have a s**t list, and if clubs low-ball players then they will go to other clubs.

Why should it be 0?

Pretty sure min wage and list size would mean it couldn't be 0.

At the end of the day though, however good an idea it might be (or not), all that would matter is convincing the AFLPA that it's good *for them*. I dare say that'd be a hard task.

I would think the need to be competitive for most clubs would prevent them doing this. That's why I don't get the need to have the floor. No club wants to have a sh*t list, and if clubs low-ball players then they will go to other clubs.
I agree no club wants a crap list.

But if the team is struggling, then one of the main reasons is because they have a crap list. Having a crap list is due to choosing bad or substandard players with their 1st rounders or the club is unlucky that their 1st rounders are talented but injury prone.

Yes I have. Mentioned north in my recent posts.

The reason they have my interest on how they run is because 10 years ago they were 9 or 10 million in debt.

Sure they had to cut back spending in some areas, but I have to hand it to them, they slowly cut down their debt. 11 years out of 12 years in making profit for a team like north is nothing to sneeze or mock or laugh at.

My team in 2001 was in a similar situation. Freo lost 2.5 Million in 2001 and were 8.1 million in debt.

By the middle of 2009, the debt was gone and Freo had 5 million in cash reserves.

Pretty sure min wage and list size would mean it couldn't be 0.

At the end of the day though, however good an idea it might be (or not), all that would matter is convincing the AFLPA that it's good *for them*. I dare say that'd be a hard task.
I can understand the AFLPA will go against having a minimum salary of 90 percent. The players want their fair share of the cash and rightfully so.

But if you are a team that's 4-6 Million in debt for example, you need to think all sides. If you are a team rebuilding and your team is going to finish bottom 4 or bottom 6 for the next 3 or 4 years, you ain't luring a prime Dustin Martin or paddy Dangerfield to your side. Your recruiting kids on minimum salary.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back