Is the AFL just too serious?

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 25, 2005
Grogansville
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I used to love AFL footy, and nothing else.

Other sports, I almost saw as the enemy, a threat. But as I've hit and become consolidated in my 40s - I've found that the footy has probably dropped out of the top 3 of my favourite sports.

I used to resent American sports almost. They seemed hollow, choreographed, and almost fake. They were just entertainment products - whilst my beloved footy was something of substance!

But these days, I'm far more into the baseball, the NBA, and to a lesser extent the NFL. Actually, whilst I'm typing, I'd have to rethink it and put the footy into the top 3 above the NFL. But the NBA and the baseball are miles ahead of the footy for me. Rugby league is up there too with the AFL.

I've actually grown to love the entertainment. That's what it's all about for me now. The weird, tribal passion almost seems moronic to me now.

So anyway, that's the preamble.

I heard an interview with Damian Lillard from the Trailblazers in the NBA, and he was basically lamenting the fact that he believes the NBA has lost its way a bit, and has pretty much become a 'ring or bust' competition. Meaning, you either win the chip, or you suck and your achievements are worth nothing.

And this got me thinking. One of the reasons I love the NBA so much, is because even the greats if the game seem to have a sense of humour on court. They try hard clearly, and are very competitive people - but they get it. They get that it's an entertainment product first and foremost..they're putting on a show. Even the crowd is in festival mode during a game, regardless of whether they're winning or not. It's fun!!

So I reflected on Lillard's comments, and thought 'dude, FFS, you should spend a week in Melbourne. The NBA is absolutely not even close compared to how seriously the whole AFL community takes itself. It's actually one of the reasons I think my interest wained over the years.

So I watched a little bit of Round 1, and there it is - the fun just isn't there. It's intense. It's like life and death.

Is it too serious? Does the AFL need to make a conscious effort to lighten up as an industry? Is it fun enough?

Last edited:
So I watched a little bit of Round 1, and there it is - the fun just isn't there. It's intense.

I feel the game is too intense in its presentation and game plan. The game plan of high intensity and pressure, that has diminished the "entertaining" skills out of the game and the personality of players.

Despite this increased intensity it has also become meaningless

I still enjoy it but not to the same extent

Other sports, I almost saw as the enemy, a threat. But as I've hit and become consolidated in my 40s - I've found that the footy has probably dropped out of the top 3 of my favourite sports.

I used to resent American sports almost. They seemed hollow, choreographed, and almost fake. They were just entertainment products - whilst my beloved footy was something of substance!

But these days, I'm far more into the baseball, the NBA, and to a lesser extent the NFL. Actually, whilst I'm typing, I'd have to rethink it and put the footy into the top 3 above the NFL. But the NBA and the baseball are miles ahead of the footy for me. Rugby league is up there too with the AFL.

I've actually grown to love the entertainment. That's what it's all about for me now. The weird, tribal passion almost seems moronic to me now.

I heard an interview with Damian Lillard from the Trailblazers in the NBA, and he was basically lamenting the fact that he believes the NBA has lost its way a bit, and has pretty much become a 'ring or bust' competition. Meaning, you either win the chip, or you suck and your achievements are worth nothing.

And this got me thinking. One of the reasons I love the NBA so much, is because even the greats if the game seem to have a sense of humour on court. They try hard clearly, and are very competitive people - but they get it. They get that it's an entertainment product first and foremost..they're putting on a show. Even the crowd is in festival mode during a game, regardless of whether they're winning or not. It's fun!!

So I reflected on Lillard's comments, and thought 'dude, FFS, you should spend a week in Melbourne. The NBA is absolutely not even close compared to how seriously the whole AFL community takes itself. It's actually one of the reasons I think my interest wained over the years.

So I watched a little bit of Round 1, and there it is - the fun just isn't there. It's intense. It's like life and death.

Is it too serious? Does the AFL need to make a conscious effort to lighten up as an industry? Is it fun enough?

You've just explained why I hate the American sports but love professional wrestling.

If you want sports entertainment, go and watch WWE or AEW. Hell, get right into the Big Bash.

Give me a war of attrition for 2 and a half hours with the best athletes on the planet chasing a Sherrin around. There is literally nothing better.

PS. The record crowds to start the season might mean your take is a minority view.
Collingwood vs Geelong on Friday night is also the game you show somebody from overseas who has never seen AFL before. I hope you got some enjoyment out of that at least.

This is the kind of thing you post after yout side has a bad loss the day before.

didn’t you see the vids of the young kids emulating NBA players recently

Carrying on taunting their opposition behaving like poor winners

No thanks… I’ll take AFL players behaviour before NBA divas any day

This is the kind of thing you post after yout side has a bad loss the day before.

?

My team did have a bad loss, but when you've lost 7 in a row on the road, and are missing your best two way player - it's probably to be expected.

But isn't that a case in point? My team loses, and I still enjoy it.

Whereas with the AFL footy, seeing all those desperate losers in the crowd, with every ounce of their own self-worth hanging on the result... It just feels sad.

The AFL as a whole neds to lighten up a bit.

It's got that closing time at a pub vibe to it.

Depressing.

?

My team did have a bad loss, but when you've lost 7 in a row on the road, and are missing your best two way player - it's probably to be expected.

But isn't that a case in point? My team loses, and I still enjoy it.

Whereas with the AFL footy, seeing all those desperate losers in the crowd, with every ounce of their own self-worth hanging on the result... It just feels sad.

The AFL as a whole neds to lighten up a bit.

It's got that closing time at a pub vibe to it.

Depressing.

You’re a sad person. People have enough issues in their lives. But to have the opportunity to completely switch off from reality for a couple hours a week and put faith in a bunch a blokes you don’t know but wish you could have been like , is a great feeling for some.
If it’s not for you then good for you, but for some people it’s a relaxing escape away from their day to day.

You’re a sad person. People have enough issues in their lives. But to have the opportunity to completely switch off from reality for a couple hours a week and put faith in a bunch a blokes you don’t know but wish you could have been like , is a great feeling for some.
If it’s not for you then good for you, but for some people it’s a relaxing escape away from their day to day.
It’s also just a downright entertaining sport to watch, the best in the world. I can watch a good game of footy no problem without having to barrack for a side i.e Cats v Pies.

It’s also just a downright entertaining sport to watch, the best in the world. I can watch a good game of footy no problem without having to barrack for a side i.e Cats v Pies.
Absolutely then come a random anonymous site and have some banter and express opinions on the game with someone I will probably never meet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well as I said - the AFL is really depressing.

Your post pretty much sums it up. Closing time at the pub!

I think thre is one comment in your post Lavender Bushranger that is the crux of it ....

Player personality.

The game has moved so professionally over the last 20yrs that players (mostly) follow a structured gameplan. Less chance for players to show their uniqueness and attempt something a bit spectacular.

The only smiles you see of the field are at the end when they're shaking hands.

Personally, I'd hate to see the US-type of player infiltrate this sport. All bs hype and overdramatised showoffs. Patrick Dangerfield is enemy #1 in this regard .... wanting player fashion before the game? Wtf?!!

I think thre is one comment in your post Lavender Bushranger that is the crux of it ....

Player personality.

The game has moved so professionally over the last 20yrs that players (mostly) follow a structured gameplan. Less chance for players to show their uniqueness and attempt something a bit spectacular.

The only smiles you see of the field are at the end when they're shaking hands.

Personally, I'd hate to see the US-type of player infiltrate this sport. All bs hype and overdramatised showoffs. Patrick Dangerfield is enemy #1 in this regard .... wanting player fashion before the game? Wtf?!!
OP is being weird, but ill touch on your personality comment.

I actually dont mind players needing to act professional. Yeah, it can be fun to see a character; but the other side of the coin is your Akermanis saying he reckons gay players should stay in the closet, or Falau saying they are goong to hell.

NBA is setup to ensure the best team each season is a worthy winner. You have multiple opportunities to beat the same opponent in order to advance to the knock out rounds.
The NFL and AFL are completely different. You have one shot to nail it perfectly on the day or it's a whole year down the drain.

And Lillard will forever be towing the 'chip or bust' line as he knows full well he ain't ever winning anything. Can't have your cake and eat it too.
He loves his money and values it over winning a championship. If he was serious, he would take a cut like the San Antonio Spurs did to help keep star players and win multiple rings.
Hypocrites like Lillard, who would barely make a splash in the best of 7 finals series (he ain't in Curry's stratosphere), are why the NBA will never overtake the NFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back