The state of the Giants and Suns

Remove this Banner Ad

I love the word transient, do people actually know what it means or do they just regurgitate it.

The Gold Coast population continues to grow, which would mean at least some people actually stay and live there.

During 2014 when we actually looked like a decent team, our crowds were actually pretty good, so there is an audience there.

I wonder if people who comment on the GC actually have been recently or just peddle out the same tired tropes they hear.
the people that say the gold coast has a transient population are the same that go on holiday to the gold coast and only visit cavil ave and the theme parks.

I love the word transient, do people actually know what it means or do they just regurgitate it.

The Gold Coast population continues to grow, which would mean at least some people actually stay and live there.

During 2014 when we actually looked like a decent team, our crowds were actually pretty good, so there is an audience there.

I wonder if people who comment on the GC actually have been recently or just peddle out the same tired tropes they hear.
I was there in may, it's a great place but the demographics are very different compared to other cities.

the people that say the gold coast has a transient population are the same that go on holiday to the gold coast and only visit cavil ave and the theme parks.
As I said, can you really determine categorically whether these kids aren't up to it, at age 20-21, with very limited senior opportunities in a poor side?

To say yes, and then turn around and ask for longer mandatory draftee contracts too, is again, a bit rich.
jack leslie is 24, and was a similar player to previously delisted henry schade. KPD, draft bolter (aka no one had them anywhere near where they were picked but scott clayton put on his blindfold and had a chuck), played a fair few games but in the end just doesn't cut it at the top level. leslie always seemed a bit uncoordinated too, never had much composure. i'd say 6 years in the system, playing for a team with plenty of injuries but unable to hold down a spot is enough time.

nutting played out his contract and as above, couldn't even manage a game in a team with ample injuries. might turn into one of those guys that needs a few more seasons playing against blokes in the reserves to give it another crack.

scheer couldn't kick to save his life, has probably one of the most awkward ball drops i've seen. got delisted and rookie listed last year as a bit of a last chance move, but unfortunately couldn't make the most of it. of the three delistings i'd have preferred to keep scheer, but i suppose we're in a position where we need to make the most of every list spot. i would have liked to see him get another contract, but oh well.

This is good info but the sun's did also have arguably the best or one of the best players of all time play for them as well. The suns wanted to be competitive from the get go which is admirable but their execution was poor and their target players from other clubs were inferior and ultimately took the piss.
agreed in a sense, locking away so much money on one player certainly did hinder our development, in not being able to target the better mature aged players (whether they would have wanted to play for us is another story). i'm sure everyone remembers the "they can't win without gaz" narrative for years, our club's mentality that all funnelled to him was ****ed.

I stayed in Tugan.... I went to all the touristy places I guess? I did drive to Tweed Heads and also took the light rail here and there. I went to movie world too if that's OK?
Wasn’t having a go. Was just curious what made you say the demographics are different

Tugun is tops!!

Yep. Seriously, if they could somehow manage to eradicate the toxic cycle of overpaying to retain average players, which places increasing strain on the TPP and salary cap leading to more player retention issues as they don't have cap room to keep good players e.g. Jarrad Lyons

I definitely believe GWS is a harder sell, a weaker market, and rather than the suns, will be the expansion team under immense pressure in 5-10 years.

They've got so many stars, extremely marketable players, a team that has consistently been in the finals, even getting home finals, for 5 or so years yet they can't get 10,000 people to their brand new stadium.

If the suns had the management of the giants from their inception, it's feasible to think they'd have a 20k strong membership base.

Yep. Seriously, if they could somehow manage to eradicate the toxic cycle of overpaying to retain average players, which places increasing strain on the TPP and salary cap leading to more player retention issues as they don't have cap room to keep good players e.g. Jarrad Lyons

I definitely believe GWS is a harder sell, a weaker market, and rather than the suns, will be the expansion team under immense pressure in 5-10 years.

They've got so many stars, extremely marketable players, a team that has consistently been in the finals, even getting home finals, for 5 or so years yet they can't get 10,000 people to their brand new stadium.

If the suns had the management of the giants from their inception, it's feasible to think they'd have a 20k strong membership base.

GWS had the mini draft picks plus they also picked teams to come last in their first couple of seasons. They farmed picks on a scale hitherto undreamt of

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wasn’t having a go. Was just curious what made you say the demographics are different

Tugun is tops!!
Ah fair enough, sorry.

Tugan is awesome.... Having surf clubs everywhere is pretty great a d different from what we get here in Melbourne (coffee and cafes every shop serving 6 dollar lattes)

agreed in a sense, locking away so much money on one player certainly did hinder our development, in not being able to target the better mature aged players (whether they would have wanted to play for us is another story). i'm sure everyone remembers the "they can't win without gaz" narrative for years, our club's mentality that all funnelled to him was f’ed.

Yeah absolutely... You did cop injuries to young guns too iirc, prestia, bennell (self inflicted maybe?), lynch, Rory Thompson, Day, swallow, JoM.... I suppose it was the perfect storm. Were the medicos to blame for some of it and were they shown the door?

Yeah absolutely... You did cop injuries to young guns too iirc, prestia, bennell (self inflicted maybe?), lynch, Rory Thompson, Day, swallow, JoM.... I suppose it was the perfect storm. Were the medicos to blame for some of it and were they shown the door?
prestia missed a year with a knee injury, besides that he had some pretty consistent years and was one of our better players in his time with us.
bennell will forever be one i wish we kept, even though i knew at the time he had to go. will never forget his 6 goal performance against the cats, he has so much talent that it's a shame for him not to be in the league. no idea what's going on with his calf at the moment, but at the suns he did have quite a few recurring soft tissue injuries, which could have been a number of things including lack of professionalism?

lynch, swallow & o'meara all had knee problems, the first two you could argue they were thrown to the wolves early and had to cope with the bash and crash of footy a big too much for their age. o'meara miraculously seems to be over his injury plagued seasons at the suns, as does lynch who seemed to have a good year at the tiges so far off an albeit limited preseason (although he did that a few times with us too).

thompson & day both had some pretty tough runs with injury, day shattered his hip which was likened to a car crash type injury, and rory did his ACL. there were plenty more injuries of note (macaffer on ablett's shoulder another big one that derailed our season), and it did lead to a few of our top medical staff getting shown the door. seems to be a bit of a revolving door position for us. we poached justin cordy from the bulldogs who was percieved as the messiah but ended up being a very naughty boy and was out after 3 years, but it's the same old story and the new guy is pushing the boys to the limit and they're all feeling fit and training harder than ever...

a couple other unlucky injuries occured to our mature aged recruits. nathan bock broke his leg and was never the same again before he retired, and campbell brown and his broken hip. both highly prized recruits at the time only managed about 70 games between them over 3-4 years.

prestia missed a year with a knee injury, besides that he had some pretty consistent years and was one of our better players in his time with us.
bennell will forever be one i wish we kept, even though i knew at the time he had to go. will never forget his 6 goal performance against the cats, he has so much talent that it's a shame for him not to be in the league. no idea what's going on with his calf at the moment, but at the suns he did have quite a few recurring soft tissue injuries, which could have been a number of things including lack of professionalism?

lynch, swallow & o'meara all had knee problems, the first two you could argue they were thrown to the wolves early and had to cope with the bash and crash of footy a big too much for their age. o'meara miraculously seems to be over his injury plagued seasons at the suns, as does lynch who seemed to have a good year at the tiges so far off an albeit limited preseason (although he did that a few times with us too).

thompson & day both had some pretty tough runs with injury, day shattered his hip which was likened to a car crash type injury, and rory did his ACL. there were plenty more injuries of note (macaffer on ablett's shoulder another big one that derailed our season), and it did lead to a few of our top medical staff getting shown the door. seems to be a bit of a revolving door position for us. we poached justin cordy from the bulldogs who was percieved as the messiah but ended up being a very naughty boy and was out after 3 years, but it's the same old story and the new guy is pushing the boys to the limit and they're all feeling fit and training harder than ever...

a couple other unlucky injuries occured to our mature aged recruits. nathan bock broke his leg and was never the same again before he retired, and campbell brown and his broken hip. both highly prized recruits at the time only managed about 70 games between them over 3-4 years.

Cheers for the details, doesn't make for great reading. Bock was a gun, that leg was terrible. Did you hear the story about Bock and his toilet break against Freo? Hilarious stuff.

What's the story with Cordy?

All clubs get concessions. The weaker you are the more money you get. Weak Melbourne clubs get money just like the Northern clubs. We need all the 18 teams for the current TV rights deal.

Big clubs can stand on their own 2 feet.

Some clubs wouldn't exist if they didn't get the AFL handout. You would probably have 5 Victorian teams, WC, 2 X SA teams and Sydney left, if the AFL stopped handing money, which is it's job.
The clubs are the ones that raise the tv money for the AFL, so naturally they hand it back to the clubs. In the AFL the clubs that people watch, Collingwood, West Coast ect.. get the lowest payment.

It’s the opposite in the English premier league, Liverpool and Manchester United got the largest payment by the league as they are the ones bringing in the tv money as they are clubs that people watch. That doesn’t mean the other clubs can’t survive.

This is each clubs revenue without AFL distribution, 2017 figures I believe. I think most clubs can afford the $12.7million salary cap and staff without AFL distribution money.

Collingwood $67million
Hawthorn $60million
West Coast $53million
Essendon $52million
Richmond $51million
Geelong $46million
Carlton $45million
Port Adelaide $44million
Adelaide $42million
Fremantle $38million
Sydney $37million
Melbourne $36million
Western Bulldogs $35million
Brisbane $32million
St Kilda $27million
North Melbourne $24million
GWS $16million
Gold Coast $15million

You still would’ve ballsed it up if being were exactly the same.

Your fans have said the same thing - there was a remarkable lack of leadership recruited to the club upon foundation.

We took on some old campaigners that threw themselves at the young kids on the training track and set really high standards.

You had Garry getting them in a huddle and praying.

To be fair Gold Coast was ahead of schedule early days. GWS made finals in season 5 (2016), Gold Coast were well on track in season 4 (2014) before the Ablett injury.

Then the midfield of 2014 that was so young and imposing (Ablett - 30, Bennell - 22, Prestia - 22, Swallow - 22, O’Meara - 20) never got close to playing together again.

Bennell - 15 games in 2015 then traded to Fremantle
Prestia - 8 games in 2015, 14 games in 2016 then traded to Richmond
O’ Meara - 0 games in 2015 & 2016 then traded to Hawthorn
Ablett - 6 games in 2015, 14 games in 2016, 14 games in 2017 then traded back to Geelong
Swallow - 6 games in 2015, 0 games in 2016, has stayed at GC but isn’t the same player he was pre-injuries

And it’s been rebuild after rebuild ever since

Laughable the OP is a Sydney supporter.

Aren’t your club begging for their salary cap advantages back after missing finals for the first time in 10 years?

How is it 'laughable' when as you just tell us - we havent missed finals for 10 years?

GC have been in the comp 10 years and never made finals.

In fact in 2019 both the Suns and the Titans finished dead last.

So not sure what you are laughing at. We are polar opposites to the Suns. As you say yourself.

Last edited:
To be fair Gold Coast was ahead of schedule early days. GWS made finals in season 5 (2016), Gold Coast were well on track in season 4 (2014) before the Ablett injury.

Then the midfield of 2014 that was so young and imposing (Ablett - 30, Bennell - 22, Prestia - 22, Swallow - 22, O’Meara - 20) never got close to playing together again.

Bennell - 15 games in 2015 then traded to Fremantle
Prestia - 8 games in 2015, 14 games in 2016 then traded to Richmond
O’ Meara - 0 games in 2015 & 2016 then traded to Hawthorn
Ablett - 6 games in 2015, 14 games in 2016, 14 games in 2017 then traded back to Geelong
Swallow - 6 games in 2015, 0 games in 2016, has stayed at GC but isn’t the same player he was pre-injuries

And it’s been rebuild after rebuild ever since

Ablett got injured in rd 16 2014.

The Suns lost in Rd 11, 12,13, 15.
Thats 4 losses from 5 in games in which he played.
In Rd 15 they lost by 53. Ablett had 45 disposals in that game!

So yeah nah. Some revisionist history there.
They were clearly OFF track before Ablett got injured.

Ths Suns only exist as a vanity project and thought bubble of Andrew Demetriou.
That's it.

Not sure why people on here are so desperate and emotional to defend them.
It's like people see the AFL as some infallible religious church and cant admit they might just be humans who make human mistakes.

Whats ****ed up is the AFL wants people to believe it is some oracle that doesnt makes mistakes so keeps doubling down.

Kind of like the Wizard of Oz or the Concorde project.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back