Current Trial The Teachers Pet Podcast & Chris Dawson's Murder Trial * New Carnal Knowledge Trial

Remove this Banner Ad

I tried to have a look for statistics on this but they were out of date. Criminal Lawyers often have these statistics on their pages. I think over time the Judge Vs Jury Guilty/Acquittal statistics have got a lot more even. The only recent thing I could find on this was this Age article but it refers to NSW verdicts says they have marginally higher chance of acquittal.

"Mr FitzGerald, who represented the stepmother acquitted of abusing her stepson, said while there is some evidence of marginally higher acquittal rates over the first 20 years of judge-alone trials in NSW, it was too early to draw conclusions about Victoria."

More people acquitted in judge-only trials as applications increase

I had read an article a while ago which I can no longer find, that said if the case was a high profile case then it was more likely to be an acquittal with a judge.

With all these statistics it assumes that all cases are equal which I don't believe they are. The statistics don't also say if someone was acquitted because a lower charge was accepted. The old saying is there are lies, damned lies and statistics.
I’d be interested in the split depending on the nature of the alleged offence

Justice Harrison will either convict or acquit Mr Chris Dawson (former Teacher) on Tuesday 30 August 2022

Just 2 more sleeps for the long awaited outcome (I really feel for Lynn's family)

Wonder who will be in Court alongside CD - Peter ? Paul ? Marilyn ? Wife 2 ? Wife 3?
Wonder who will be his support team on Tues
Whatever the outcome - there will be a flurry of reporters trying to get the decision into the public arena; asap

Justice Harrison will either convict or acquit Mr Chris Dawson (former Teacher) on Tuesday 30 August 2022

Just 2 more sleeps for the long awaited outcome (I really feel for Lynn's family)

Wonder who will be in Court alongside CD - Peter ? Paul ? Marilyn ? Wife 2 ? Wife 3?
Wonder who will be his support team on Tues
Whatever the outcome - there will be a flurry of reporters trying to get the decision into the public arena; asap
Hopefully the verdict will be CONVICT which should wipe the arrogant smirk off his face. why isn't he in jail for the carnal knowledge charges?

How will anyone be 100% sure that Chris (reported to be driving 1000km down from Queensland to Sydney for his judgement day) is actually Chris tomorrow, given he has a lookalike identical twin brother (Paul)?

Imagine if the wrong twin brother was put in a paddy wagon and sent to the dungeons post trial verdict, if found guilty as charged!

Last edited:
My gut feel is that Chris Dawson will be found not guilty of murder by Justice Harrison.

My gut feel's he will be a free man, (until after his next court appearance) by approx. tomorrow lunchtime.
That’s my feel also, haven’t followed the case that closely to be honest but doesn’t seem like there is enough evidence even though I think he is clearly guilty

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To me, the speed with which CD moved the baby sitter back into the marital home (and bed) indicates that he definitely knew that Lynn was never coming back. :(
Plus, all the other evidence that points towards him doing away with his wife eg the "lovely drink", the bruises, the unlikely trip to the bus stop with girls staying behind at home, enquiring about hit men, the psychological abuse etc.
However, without a body, sadly this is all just circumstantial evidence, although very strong.
I wonder just how strong circumstantial evidence needs to be to go beyond "a reasonable doubt".
Guess we'll find out tomorrow! Intriguing.

To me, the speed with which CD moved the baby sitter back into the marital home (and bed) indicates that he definitely knew that Lynn was never coming back. :(
Plus, all the other evidence that points towards him doing away with his wife eg the "lovely drink", the bruises, the unlikely trip to the bus stop with girls staying behind at home, enquiring about hit men, the psychological abuse etc.
However, without a body, sadly this is all just circumstantial evidence, although very strong.
I wonder just how strong circumstantial evidence needs to be to go beyond "a reasonable doubt".
Guess we'll find out tomorrow! Intriguing.

There needs to be enough evidence so that an alternative reasonable hypothesis can't exist.

"They go to counselling and first time in a while she is positive about the future. But that night CD admits he prefers to be with his affair partner. LD is devastated. Spends the night spiralling into a very dark mood. In the morning she leaves to try and get a clearer head over her future. She pretends to go shopping to deceive. In the ensuing time the next few weeks her dark mood deepens to major depression and motivates her to suicide in a way she would never be found"

Nothing in the evidence refutes that possibility as an alternative. Not guilty I'm afraid

Last edited:
Chris Dawson has arrived at court wearing a mask and using a walking stick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back